Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread


Recommended Posts

Anyone else remember that bomb that Adams hit to straight away CF in Spring Training that cleared the batters eye? I'd gotten reports of gained strength from instructs and the alt site but that one swing opened my eyes. 

Adams' path has been an interesting one. He was never supposed to be a first round pick, his baseball skills were far behind football, until his senior year, then it clicked. But even after being drafted, the expectation was that he was more raw than even raw prospects. Raw prospects have undeveloped skills. Adams, was basically seen as an athlete that may someday turn into a baseball player, maybe. Even the most bullish believed he was more of a 10-15 HR type. 

Instead, Adams showed an advanced feel for hitting early on, and is now developing more power than originally anticipated. It's too early, but Adams could develop into a 20/20 player with gold glove defense. Shoot he's so strong and great that might be underselling him. 

The shutdown may have actually been a blessing for him too. He would've been in Advanced A Ball last year and AA this year, except now that they're tinkering with his swing and approach to tap into more power, if he tried to do this in AA, it would've been a disaster. Having developed this strength, it's good that he figures it out at a lower level before having to make that leap to upper minors pitching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Does Adams Make Adell expendable? If Adams pans out to his fullest potential what is a good major league comparison for him? 

Not yet, no. Maybe not ever. No certainty when it comes to prospects. But at the same time, maybe soon. 

Kevin Kiermaiar, Mike Cameron and Byron Buxton are names that been put out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Does Adams Make Adell expendable? If Adams pans out to his fullest potential what is a good major league comparison for him? 

I dont know enough about prospects to say yes or no.

But assuming adell will in fact be better, but adams will be "good enough", id be more than happy to trade adell for something we need more. And not because I dislike adell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 2:57 AM, Dave Saltzer said:

With all of your discussion about future SS/MIF prospects and whether or not to sign a major SS FA this offseason, here's something to consider. I was out at the IE66ers today and caught some of the pregame practice. If you look at the guy cutting across 2B (making the play from SS), that's D'Shawn Knowles taking reps at SS. He hasn't seen any time in a game at SS, but that appears to be in the works.

 

What this tells me is that the Angels value player versatility. They see their OF possibly/probably set for a bit with Trout, Marsh, Upton, Adell, and Adams, so giving Knowles time at another position will open up more opportunities for him. And, it says that with Ohtani and the need to carry more pitchers, having a limited bench makes someone like Knowles, who can be a 4th OF, a backup MIFer, and a pinch runner makes him far more valuable.

 

Just some more information for everyone to consider and discuss.

 

P7201125.JPG

P7201124.JPG

He got his first start at SS tonight. Looking at the boxscore he got 2 ground balls and 1 line drive. No errors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

He got his first start at SS tonight. Looking at the boxscore he got 2 ground balls and 1 line drive. No errors.

Yes, I saw that. It's great news. If he can make that jump, and play a passable INF defense and Offense, he becomes very valuable as a utility player with speed. That should help him reach the Majors faster. He had the athleticism to do so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

image.png

I know, I know. I'll stay on the Maitan wagon until there's more reason to get off than stay on. 

For instance, right now, despite the lack of production and the subsequent digital ink spilled on him being a bust, a few positive factors remain.

1. He used to be the top international prospect and considered a generational talent for a reason.

2. Billy Eppler, whose judgment on amateurs I put a lot of value in, believed that Kevin Maitan was worth doing everything he did for. Not chancing it to an email or a phone call, he gets his director of scouting, gets on a plane, watches him work out, meets face to face and then offers him a couple million more before any team has a chance to begin a dialogue with him or his representation. I've never seen it heard of a GM doing that.

3. Despite the mass, he's quite athletic and looks good at third base. Good glove, 70 grade arm. And at the plate, the oppo power he has is real. 

4. He's still only 21 and in High A, which is exactly where he would be in a normal developmental curve. He was pushed to developmental levels that he never needed to be pushed to. I argue that had he been allowed to develop on a typical timeline, his numbers would be much more impressive. What if at 17 he got to play with other 17 year olds in the D.R. instead of being pushed stateside and skipping complex ball all together and moving straight into a Pioneer level League? He probably would've destroyed the competition. Or at 18, if he played in the AZL.

5. He didn't get a ST, and is coming off the minor league shutdown. Maybe we can limit expectations this year. Personally, if it were me, I'd put him in Low A Inland Empire for the remainder of the year and next year as a 22 year old, put him in Advanced A and let him get on a normal, consistent developmental level where he can experience some success. 

I still think that at some point, it's clicks for him and he turns into a high OBP, power hitting 3B. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I know, I know. I'll stay on the Maitan wagon until there's more reason to get off than stay on. 

For instance, right now, despite the lack of production and the subsequent digital ink spilled on him being a bust, a few positive factors remain.

1. He used to be the top international prospect and considered a generational talent for a reason.

2. Billy Eppler, whose judgment on amateurs I put a lot of value in, believed that Kevin Maitan was worth doing everything he did for. Not chancing it to an email or a phone call, he gets his director of scouting, gets on a plane, watches him work out, meets face to face and then offers him a couple million more before any team has a chance to begin a dialogue with him or his representation. I've never seen it heard of a GM doing that.

3. Despite the mass, he's quite athletic and looks good at third base. Good glove, 70 grade arm. And at the plate, the oppo power he has is real. 

4. He's still only 21 and in High A, which is exactly where he would be in a normal developmental curve. He was pushed to developmental levels that he never needed to be pushed to. I argue that had he been allowed to develop on a typical timeline, his numbers would be much more impressive. What if at 17 he got to play with other 17 year olds in the D.R. instead of being pushed stateside and skipping complex ball all together and moving straight into a Pioneer level League? He probably would've destroyed the competition. Or at 18, if he played in the AZL.

5. He didn't get a ST, and is coming off the minor league shutdown. Maybe we can limit expectations this year. Personally, if it were me, I'd put him in Low A Inland Empire for the remainder of the year and next year as a 22 year old, put him in Advanced A and let him get on a normal, consistent developmental level where he can experience some success. 

I still think that at some point, it's clicks for him and he turns into a high OBP, power hitting 3B. 

 

He would be good to have if they decide to trade Jackson at some point.

Although I’m digging having Jackson. Paris, Vera, Placencia, and Maitan all as INF prospects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rodriguez battling for the Bees.  4 runs through the first three innings.  Gave up a 3r hr that would have been either a fly ball or maybe a double anywhere else.  He's definitely not getting the normal movement on his pitches that we've seen in the past which I presume is the altitude.  Fastball command has been pretty much non-existent.  He's found the zone with maybe a quarter of his fastballs and most that have were get me over types when he was behind in the count which has been the case with a fair amount of hitters.  Both his k's so far were when he elevated the fastball.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

I know, I know. I'll stay on the Maitan wagon until there's more reason to get off than stay on. 

For instance, right now, despite the lack of production and the subsequent digital ink spilled on him being a bust, a few positive factors remain.

1. He used to be the top international prospect and considered a generational talent for a reason.

2. Billy Eppler, whose judgment on amateurs I put a lot of value in, believed that Kevin Maitan was worth doing everything he did for. Not chancing it to an email or a phone call, he gets his director of scouting, gets on a plane, watches him work out, meets face to face and then offers him a couple million more before any team has a chance to begin a dialogue with him or his representation. I've never seen it heard of a GM doing that.

3. Despite the mass, he's quite athletic and looks good at third base. Good glove, 70 grade arm. And at the plate, the oppo power he has is real. 

4. He's still only 21 and in High A, which is exactly where he would be in a normal developmental curve. He was pushed to developmental levels that he never needed to be pushed to. I argue that had he been allowed to develop on a typical timeline, his numbers would be much more impressive. What if at 17 he got to play with other 17 year olds in the D.R. instead of being pushed stateside and skipping complex ball all together and moving straight into a Pioneer level League? He probably would've destroyed the competition. Or at 18, if he played in the AZL.

5. He didn't get a ST, and is coming off the minor league shutdown. Maybe we can limit expectations this year. Personally, if it were me, I'd put him in Low A Inland Empire for the remainder of the year and next year as a 22 year old, put him in Advanced A and let him get on a normal, consistent developmental level where he can experience some success. 

I still think that at some point, it's clicks for him and he turns into a high OBP, power hitting 3B. 

 

I hear you and was half-joking. I haven't given up on him completely, although I think it is clear at this point that the whole "generational talent" thing was way over-blown.

But yeah, let's see how he does this year and next. If we haven't seen anything by then, he's cooked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

completely lost it in the 4th and walked three but somehow worked his way out of the jam.  Just couldn't find the plate.  Curve kinda saved him in that opposing hitters just can't pick it up and he threw it for a few strikes.  Just enough to get some outs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

completely lost it in the 4th and walked three but somehow worked his way out of the jam.  Just couldn't find the plate.  Curve kinda saved him in that opposing hitters just can't pick it up and he threw it for a few strikes.  Just enough to get some outs.  

I hate Salt Lake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...