Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread


Recommended Posts

We've talked a lot about Reid Detmers and his ridiculous 16.2 Ks per 9 but very little about Cooper Criswell that has logged the most innings in AA, and they've been good innings.

As a 13th round draft pick out of Chapel Hill and average age for the competition (Covid added a year to player progression), he still is putting up respectable 10.9 Ks per 9 and a 3.71 ERA. I think the standout stat is only 8 walks in 70 innings of work while averaging close to 6 innings per outing. I don't have any in depth numbers but it looks as though he throws strikes and pitches to contact. Not really a bad thing as long as he keeps the ball in the park, which he has. 

This isn't a top of the rotation arm but could be an effective innings eater style pitcher that keeps you in the game and the bullpen in the pen for 2/3rds of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect we'll see guys like Criswell if--and only if--Perry unloads tradable parts from the pitching staff. Detmers would replace Cobb and C Rod (or maybe Barria) would replace Heaney. But if he trades more than one of Riasel, Watson and Cishek, he'll need warm bodies in the bullpen, and Criswell and Tyler seem prime candidates to take a look-see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I suspect we'll see guys like Criswell if--and only if--Perry unloads tradable parts from the pitching staff. Detmers would replace Cobb and C Rod (or maybe Barria) would replace Heaney. But if he trades more than one of Riasel, Watson and Cishek, he'll need warm bodies in the bullpen, and Criswell and Tyler seem prime candidates to take a look-see.

 

Rule 5 eligible guys this winter:

Position Players:

  • AAA: Michael Stefanic, Brennon Lund, Jake Gatewood
  • AA: Orlando Martinez, Izzy Wilson, Torii Hunter Jr.
  • A: Livan Soto, Brendon Davis, Keinner Pina, Kevin Maitan, D'Shawn Knowles, Trent Deveaux


Pitchers:

  • AAA: Packy Naughton, Austin Warren
  • AA: Aaron Hernandez, Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Jhonathan Diaz, Denny Brady, Oliver Ortega, Connor Higgins
  • A: Robinson Pina, Luis Alvarado, Sadrac Franco, Jose Salvador, John Swanda, Stiward Aquino
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Livan Soto last 14 G/68 PA: .328/.412/.552/.963 with five doubles, a triple, and 2 HR, 9 BB to 12 K, 6 for 7 in SB attempts. 

He's never had more than 10 XBH in a season, or more than 7 doubles, any triples, or more than 1 HR, in three prior seasons with 200-300 PA each year. 

He's at 9 doubles, 5 triples, and 6 HR this year in 278 PA, while being two years younger than others in A+, and stolen 12 bases (previous career high was 6).

Great defense too. One of my favorite prospects.

Edited by totdprods
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Livan Soto last 14 G/68 PA: .328/.412/.552/.963 with five doubles, a triple, and 2 HR, 9 BB to 12 K, 6 for 7 in SB attempts. 

He's never had more than 10 XBH in a season, or more than 7 doubles, any triples, or more than 1 HR, in three prior seasons with 200-300 PA each year. 

He's at 9 doubles, 5 triples, and 6 HR this year in 278 PA, while being two years younger than others in A+, and stolen 12 bases (previous career high was 6).

Great defense too. One of my favorite prospects.

Is that you, @ettin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Soto just turned 21 in June.   The July numbers to date are all around impressive.

The development is simply impressive, even if the season’s slash isn’t. His glove and contact ability gave him a good shot of being at least a MLB UT IF, but there was question if he’d ever hit for any power. The steps he’s taking are extremely encouraging. His K% has doubled, which is a little worrisome, but he’s still drawing walks at an above average clip. Could be he just simply needed to get more aggressive. 

Either way, between he, Rengifo, Vera, Paris, Jackson, Placencia and Blakely, plus Bonilla, the Angels have a group of 2B/SS prospects with a wide range of tools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which is why there’s absolutely no need to sign one of the big money SS’s, especially the .302 career OBP Baez, this off-season.

But seeing Arte Moreno’s past tendencies, it’s worrisome.

That's when it's Perry's job to tell him to save those bullets for another battle. Specifically, high end pitching. I'm not sure any other GM ever told him not to spend money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which is why there’s absolutely no need to sign one of the big money SS’s, especially the .302 career OBP Baez, this off-season.

But seeing Arte Moreno’s past tendencies, it’s worrisome.

Also might be a few years before they even reach the majors, and even then, as we saw with Adell, it's not immediate success. They're trade bait just as much as they're SS of the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The development is simply impressive, even if the season’s slash isn’t. His glove and contact ability gave him a good shot of being at least a MLB UT IF, but there was question if he’d ever hit for any power. The steps he’s taking are extremely encouraging. His K% has doubled, which is a little worrisome, but he’s still drawing walks at an above average clip. Could be he just simply needed to get more aggressive. 

Either way, between he, Rengifo, Vera, Paris, Jackson, Placencia and Blakely, plus Bonilla, the Angels have a group of 2B/SS prospects with a wide range of tools.

Yep. I'd say Soto has the lowest ceiling of that group, but possibly the highest floor. Meaning, he should be what we thought Fletcher was going to be: a solid utility player with a good glove but weak bat. Maybe he can be more than that, but he doesn't have the offensive upside of any of those players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The development is simply impressive, even if the season’s slash isn’t. His glove and contact ability gave him a good shot of being at least a MLB UT IF, but there was question if he’d ever hit for any power. The steps he’s taking are extremely encouraging. His K% has doubled, which is a little worrisome, but he’s still drawing walks at an above average clip. Could be he just simply needed to get more aggressive. 

Either way, between he, Rengifo, Vera, Paris, Jackson, Placencia and Blakely, plus Bonilla, the Angels have a group of 2B/SS prospects with a wide range of tools.

 

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which is why there’s absolutely no need to sign one of the big money SS’s, especially the .302 career OBP Baez, this off-season.

But seeing Arte Moreno’s past tendencies, it’s worrisome.

Except for Rengifo, all of the other names are likely at least 2+ years out, so you have to at least consider the option of purchasing a SS on the free agent market and then move your depth in trades to acquire other areas of need (pitching for example).

I am not leaning hard one way or the other, AO, I am just saying that there are plausible options to consider to acquire what we need. One of those might very well be, putting Fletcher or Rengifo at SS and then using our resources for other needs.

Also we need to lock up Ohtani on a long-term deal, that is money we need to put in place within the next 1-2 years, without question, in my mind. So that is another consideration, too.

As it currently stands I could see the Angels making an investment of money in either a SS or starter this offseason, then, after Upton's contract is off the books the following year, they will extend Ohtani, probably. Whichever player they do not invest in (SS or starter) they can obtain in trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with AO on this one: Don't spend money on a SS or, at most, get someone like Galvis or Villar. The Angels have a kick-ass lineup and can handle to give Rengifo a full year to figure things out. 

Baez would be a bad indicator of Minasian's baseball IQ.

If they do insist on spending money on a SS, I'd go for a short Semien contract or going all-in on Correa. But say no to Story or especially Baez.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I agree with AO on this one: Don't spend money on a SS or, at most, get someone like Galvis or Villar. The Angels have a kick-ass lineup and can handle to give Rengifo a full year to figure things out. 

Baez would be a bad indicator of Minasian's baseball IQ.

If they do insist on spending money on a SS, I'd go for a short Semien contract or going all-in on Correa. But say no to Story or especially Baez.

Baez addition would mean Maddon is calling the shots and as I have said before, I'd be out.  

Suarez and Sandoval are making Perry's job next year a lot easier, CRod and Detmers too.   They need to call up as many of the AA arms as possible and learn what they have, then allocate as much money as they possibly can or are willing to towards run prevention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I agree with AO on this one: Don't spend money on a SS or, at most, get someone like Galvis or Villar. The Angels have a kick-ass lineup and can handle to give Rengifo a full year to figure things out. 

Baez would be a bad indicator of Minasian's baseball IQ.

If they do insist on spending money on a SS, I'd go for a short Semien contract or going all-in on Correa. But say no to Story or especially Baez.

I would also say no to the injury prone Correa.   Do we want another Rendon or Pujols?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perry Minasian has done a pretty fantastic job filling the organizational depth chart with players that have lost some of their prospect luster but have the potential to still turn into somewhat decent Major Leaguers like Jake Gatewood, Izzy Wilson, Edwin Yon, and Brendon Davis who was just promoted to Double-A today (5th round pick of the Dodgers in 2015 out of Lakewood High).

 

 

Edited by rafibomb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Rodriguez threw 73 pitches (46 strikes) in his start today to get through 4.0 innings (thanks in part to a couple of errors on the defense as well). He was responsible for a runner on first who eventually scored on a 3rd error when he was pulled. His final line:

4.0 IP  4 H  5 R (2 earned)  2 BB  4 SO  0 HR

 

 

Edited by rafibomb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Chris Rodriguez threw 73 pitches (46 strikes) in his start today to get through 4.0 innings (thanks in part to a couple of errors on the defense as well). He was responsible for a runner on first who eventually scored on a 3rd error when he was pulled. His final line:

4.0 IP  4 H  5 R (2 earned)  2 BB  4 SO  0 HR

 

 

Rod looked a lot better than his line tonight. I saw a lot of weak contact in the two innings I watched. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Rod looked a lot better than his line tonight. I saw a lot of weak contact in the two innings I watched. 

That’s good to see. I am mostly encouraged that they got him to ~75 pitches for this start. I think we all know his stuff will play regardless. Also his pitch count increase coincides nicely with the trade deadline in case Perry and company sell on Cobb and/or Heaney.

Edited by rafibomb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

That’s good to see. I am mostly encouraged that they got him to ~75 pitches for this start. I think we all know his stuff will play regardless. Also his pitch count increase coincides nicely with the trade deadline in case Perry and company sell on Cobb and/or Heaney.

Yeah convenient, isn't it? I figure Heaney is gone and they'll promote Barria. If someone offers something worthwhile for Cobb, they may ship him out and promote Rod. 

I'm just glad to see the move to the pen wasn't a permanent designation. I think we all believe that if he's healthy, he's a starter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...