• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

37 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Exactly this, but I'd also like to add that some failures don't make swing changes a bad thing or a team bad at player development. Even at AA or AAA so few prospects "make it." It makes sense to go for a David strategy (high risk high reward). If the team feels a player won't be able to succeed with their current swing there really isn't much to lose by changing it. I suppose the prospect loses trade value in the short term, but that's about it. If swing changes are successful even 10% of the time in getting a player to the majors that would have been borderline or gets a borderline player to become a solid regular or a regular turns into a star it's worth it. Maybe it makes the prospect worse 70% of the time and stays the same 20% of the time. That's still a higher success rate than what prospects normally do. 

Even MLB top 20 prospects bust half the time. If you operate with that understanding it makes a lot more sense to try to maximize potential rather than minimize loss. Getting a bunch of AAAA guys doesn't really help anyone. 

Your ratios are a little off. Of the top 100 prospects, typically around 70-80 of them end up having a career in the major leagues. Many aren't long or successful, but even n pitchers that end up in the bullpen end up being successful major leaguers for at least a couple years. 

Think Andrew Miller or Drew Pomeranz.

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Your ratios are a little off. Of the top 100 prospects, typically around 70-80 of them end up having a career in the major leagues. Many aren't long or successful, but even n pitchers that end up in the bullpen end up being successful major leaguers for at least a couple years. 

Think Andrew Miller or Drew Pomeranz.

I just meant playing significantly below expectations. I did not mean to imply that bust meant never made the major leagues. I meant guys like Brandon Wood (in addition to guys who never make the bigs) who had 750 plate appearances, but I don't think anyone here would say he was not a bust. My post was a little ambiguous, though. 

4 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I just meant playing significantly below expectations. I did not mean to imply that bust meant never made the major leagues. My post was a little ambiguous, though. 

What I think would make for an interesting case study would be the "bust" percentage of pitchers versus position players. 

Typically failed top 100 starters do end up being effective relievers in the same manner that failed position players end up being 4th outfielders or utility infielders. 

Sort of an Andrew Miller/Drew Pomeranz versus Brian Goodwin/Franklin Barreto. 

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

What I think would make for an interesting case study would be the "bust" percentage of pitchers versus position players. 

Typically failed top 100 starters do end up being effective relievers in the same manner that failed position players end up being 4th outfielders or utility infielders. 

Sort of an Andrew Miller/Drew Pomeranz versus Brian Goodwin/Franklin Barreto. 

It's already been done. A couple of years ago I was listening to a FG prospect podcast and they mentioned someone had done it and pitcher bust way more often for various reasons. As a result Langerhanger and McDaniel had started ranking pitchers a little lower than they previously had been. 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

How can we sign him if we don't have 80 scouts?

All 8 must have been watching this guy.   

But this may be why we have Jack Kruger, while the team with 80 still has Keibert Ruiz, Diego Cartaya, Yeiner Fernandez, and Hunter Feduccia after graduating Will Smith who would easily qualify as the best catching prospect to come out of the Angels farm system, ever.

17 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

But this may be why we have Jack Kruger, while the team with 80 still has Keibert Ruiz, Diego Cartaya, Yeiner Fernandez, and Hunter Feduccia after graduating Will Smith who would easily qualify as the best catching prospect to come out of the Angels farm system, ever.

And I've never heard of any of them. 

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hank Conger's reaction

Ron Burgundy What GIF

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

More on the catcher via Jared Tims

Very quiet, simplified swing. I'd say don't try to light the world on fire with your bat. Be a good receiver, pitch caller and mentor to pitchers. At the plate, just make contact and put the ball in play right up the middle and good things will happen.