• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Tomoyuki Sugano, deadline is 1/7 (update: stays in NPB)

mmc

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I read and posted here he was going to get between 8M-12M per year!... he made the equivalent of 6.045M last year in Japan! Why would he get a 100% raise to come state side and hasn't proved health or ability?...

29 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

Sugano has an offer from Yomiuri for five years with an opt out after the first four years. It is hard to match that unless a club wants to overpay for a 31 year old pitcher. I don’t want yhe Angels to offer any pitcher a five year contract. 

25 minutes ago, Hubs said:

It’s a four year deal with opt outs every year. 

Not picking, but going on these figures.  

So he probably has something like a 4/$28 in hand with Yomiuri.  Even with a 1 year opt out, he's one year older.  He's 30 right now, 31 next season.  Even if he's lights out for another season in Japan, will that make any difference in the US?  I really don't think it will be, he'll be one year older, and the same questions will come out.  

If he's going to come to the US, I think now is the time.  And I still think 3 years is the sweet spot with him.  Let's put it this way.  He comes here and bombs.  He will still be 33, and can get the 4/$28 in Japan.  He does well, and you go another 2-3 years on him.  You go 5 and that's a lot of risk on the MLB side, if he doesn't do well.  

Raise wise, has no bearing.  US will pay what the US pays.  the pay scales between the US and Japan is huge.  The difference is he has some leverage, where a 1, 2, 3 or less year MLB player does not.  

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

You don't count Ohtani for anything other than a DH until he can show he can throw innings and remain healthy! Dude has only showed he can hit with any kind of consistency! His first season he looked solid before TJ. But, he hasnt proven anything since on the mound.

And holding out hope and counting on his 100% return is why we are where we are in the Starting Rotation today! 

Angels have been doing that for years! Well, we have these guys coming back from TJ. Well, until they do. They have not!

I agree that's why I said if, not counting on him at all.

8 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Sooooooooo? Even A deadline to sign a player is dragging on. This offseason so much....

I mean his deadline is in 20 hours (Thursday at 5 pm Eastern) so I have to imagine we hear something within the next 20 hours.

25 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Obviously. But keep in mind he's gotta do a physical and all that jazz. 

The more it's kept hush hush the more it makes me think Angels want him.

There has been instances where the deadline was extended because a deal was close, and just the details like physicals needed to be done.

3 minutes ago, Jinzu said:

If it's either that offer or anything remotely close to it or back to Japan then I'm all good with him just going back. It doesn't bode well that he's also asking for the same amount of money as a guy who has gotten lit up since joining the league as well....

Edited by rafibomb

4/56 isn't unreasonable. Is it steep? Yeah absolutely. We've already seen, ALL starting pitching prices are steep. Cole, Wheeler, Corbin, Strasburg..... They all got too much. 

That's just how much you have to be willing to pay more. When guys like Robbie Ray and Drew Smyly are making 10 million, you know anything decent will cost 15.