• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is Minasian's plan?

Torridd

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Would you be upset if he acquired two starters but both were on 1yr deals?  

The only real concern for me in a situation like that is the very real possibility of going into next winter needing to replace four SP.  Sure they could extend guys midyear but seems risky.

I know people are desperate for action but I think it speaks to the mindsets of both agents/players and the teams themselves that we are seeing guys like Kluber setting up a throwing showcase for the middle of January.  Nobody really seems in a rush to do anything right now.

I do wonder if it isn't just the whole of MLB waiting til January 20th and the coming changes in national policy to see how realistic their hopes of a full season are.

Side note, I keep circling back to Jose Quintana as a guy I like and who I doubt will cost a ton.  His predictive data has been really pretty good, GB rate still over 40%, velocity holding steady, the ERA has been elevated but his strand rates and Babip have been bad, so there is a real possibility defensive and BP issues impacted the ERA.  The big plus is he's managed to be a consistent innings eater.  Angels need a guy like that... maybe he's the second piece but, I think he might end up as a value play with some upside based on the peripherals.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only real concern for me in a situation like that is the very real possibility of going into next winter needing to replace four SP.  Sure they could extend guys midyear but seems risky.

I know people are desperate for action but I think it speaks to the mindsets of both agents/players and the teams themselves that we are seeing guys like Kluber setting up a throwing showcase for the middle of January.  Nobody really seems in a rush to do anything right now.

I do wonder if it isn't just the whole of MLB waiting til January 20th and the coming changes in national policy to see how realistic their hopes of a full season are.

Side note, I keep circling back to Jose Quintana as a guy I like and who I doubt will cost a ton.  His predictive data has been really pretty good, GB rate still over 40%, velocity holding steady, the ERA has been elevated but his strand rates and Babip have been bad, so there is a real possibility defensive and BP issues impacted the ERA.  The big plus is he's managed to be a consistent innings eater.  Angels need a guy like that... maybe he's the second piece but, I think he might end up as a value play with some upside based on the peripherals.

Beat me to it right here. Sure, some youngster might ascend, but having four vet SPs hit FA at the same time is tough to work with. 

When you have that much roster turnover, and you don't have a farm providing MLB-ready internal options, and you have the Angels budget restrictions, it makes it really hard to get the guys you want via FA to fill every need. You're in a waiting game for prices to drop, so first choices come off the board early or you get outbid. I think that's where Eppler ran into a lot of problems. He wound up having to fill too many needs via FA, and too many of his choices were not the first, second, or even third choice at times - even in cases where he acquired them early in the offseason. He was forced into a position where he had to act on guys when they fit the price he had to work with, and when you have to 'settle' to meet so many needs, it really thins the ice. 

It's part of why I see some sense to a Realmuto pursuit. Not what I would do, but when you have to constantly address catcher year in and year out, with no hope of anyone on the farm, it might be worth the commitment to simply shore that up long-term (much like when Eppler acquired Simmons) and ensure you have that consistency for a few years, especially if there's an organizational belief a strong catcher/game-calling adds significant value to a pitching staff. It might be better than a revolving door of one-year second/third choice guys signing late in FA every year.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think he's going to do everything he can to make the team better without having to give up any of the team's most valuable prospects.  

I would imagine that includes Adell, Marsh, Adams, Rodriguez, Detmers.  I am going to wager a guess that list will soon include Vera, Kochanowicz and maybe Jackson.  If he can get a quality starter via free agency and maybe another via trade without giving up those guys then I think that's what we'll see.  If he can't a starter via trade, then a second arm will come from the FA pool but will likely be inexpensive and met with AW vitriol.  

As an aside, you like Vera more than Paris? I've always given the edge to Paris, but of course it is really early to get a good gauge on these two.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is Minasian’s plan?

Long Island Ice Teas and the Red Onion?

0E145721-1CD6-4AA3-BE86-DAAB98DE81CD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is Minasian’s plan?

Long Island Ice Teas and the Red Onion?

More like a small Greek salad with some humus on the side, then fish tacos with guacamole and sour cream.

image.jpeg

i dont think it really matters what his plan is, it matters how much Arte will let him spend.
If he holding to the budget and only has about 20-30M to spend, then the big names are out and he will only be able to focus on filling the gaps.  C, RF, and a couple mid tier starters at best. 
If he allows him to bust it then anything goes.
The fact that we havent done much at least suggests he open to options.  Bauer for example isint signing early, likely not till after Realmuto, to ensure hes the top paid FA this off season.   So the delay would seem to indicate we may be in those talks.  Or perhaps just wishful thinking. 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think he's going to do everything he can to make the team better without having to give up any of the team's most valuable prospects.  

I would imagine that includes Adell, Marsh, Adams, Rodriguez, Detmers.  I am going to wager a guess that list will soon include Vera, Kochanowicz and maybe Jackson.  If he can get a quality starter via free agency and maybe another via trade without giving up those guys then I think that's what we'll see.  If he can't a starter via trade, then a second arm will come from the FA pool but will likely be inexpensive and met with AW vitriol.  

I'm starting to get the feeling that Sugano and Kluber are our two acquisitions for SP.... which is okay I think.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

As an aside, you like Vera more than Paris? I've always given the edge to Paris, but of course it is really early to get a good gauge on these two.

I know you didn't ask but I think Vera is the better prospect at this moment in time but I will say that Paris seems to have made great strides with his physicality over the last year which has raised him up a notch for sure. Time will tell but I don't think any of us should sleep too much on Arol Vera, he has the potential to be our SS (or 2B) of the future.

Edited by ettin

It seems like teams know what players and other teams asks are and it's just a waiting game.

The question is: will some team step up and meet the current asking price, like the Padres did with Darvish and Snell, or will they just wait and see if the asking price goes down? If a team steps up, then moves will come. If they don't, we're still going to be waiting.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I for sure would be if one or two of those starters was acquired via trade. It would make very little sense to trade prospects for a starter on a one year deal.

If they were both free agents, I wouldn't be as upset, but I'd still be concerned. That would leave you with 4 starters scheduled to hit free agency after the season.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

I'm starting to get the feeling that Sugano and Kluber are our two acquisitions for SP.... which is okay I think.

Kluber is a bit of a sleeper acquisition. I wouldn't want to rely upon him to be the "piece" that solves everything, but he'd be a great second starter acquisition. Let's not forget that he was one of the best pitchers in baseball just two years ago (2018), and barely played the last two years. His 30.3 fWAR from 2014-18 is just a hair behind Scherzer (31.7) and basically the same as Kershaw (30.5). He will be 35 in April, but if he's healthy he'd be a nice pick-up on a 1-2 year contract.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

I know you didn't ask but I think Vera is the better prospect at this moment in time but I will say that Paris seems to have made great strides with his physicality over the last year which has raised him up a notch for sure. Time will tell but I don't think any of us should sleep too much on Arol Vera, he has the potential to be our SS (or 2B) of the future.

Always feel free to throw in your two pence. I prefer Paris, but have seen more film on him. Either way, I can imagine a SS-2B of Paris-Vera in four or five years.

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Every time I bring up Quintana I'm met with the facepalm emoji. 

On the topic of guys on one year contracts, I wonder what the Red Sox would be willing to take in exchange for Eduardo Rodriguez. 

A Quintana / Rodriguez combo would be a little risky, but with a lot of upside. I know we all want Bauer and Gray but I don't think we are being realistic about the budgetary limitations. This is a combo we could probably afford that actually has potential.

Quintana is a guy i only want if he's the 2nd guy following Bauer or some traded for TOTR guy.  Next to Bauer he makes sense since we won't have much funds and Q would be an inexpensive option on a short (1-2 type year) deal.  A guy that we can take a risk on for upside with the workhorse top guy Bauer.  

But if were talking about Quintana as the 2nd guy along with some other middle of the rotation guy -- sorry, i'm not satisfied with that at all (facepalm).  We've seen enough of that year after year after year.....   

22 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Quintana is a guy i only want if he's the 2nd guy following Bauer or some traded for TOTR guy.  Next to Bauer he makes sense since we won't have much funds and Q would be an inexpensive option on a short (1-2 type year) deal.  A guy that we can take a risk on for upside with the workhorse top guy Bauer.  

But if were talking about Quintana as the 2nd guy along with some other middle of the rotation guy -- sorry, i'm not satisfied with that at all (facepalm).  We've seen enough of that year after year after year.....   

Maybe I'm just a pessimist but I just don't think there is room in the budget for a guy like Quintana and someone better, unless we are pulling off a big trade for someone like Gray (which I also don't think we should do). I think we could potentially afford Bauer but with only very minor additional acquisitions around the periphery. 

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Every time I bring up Quintana I'm met with the facepalm emoji. 

On the topic of guys on one year contracts, I wonder what the Red Sox would be willing to take in exchange for Eduardo Rodriguez. 

A Quintana / Rodriguez combo would be a little risky, but with a lot of upside. I know we all want Bauer and Gray but I don't think we are being realistic about the budgetary limitations. This is a combo we could probably afford that actually has potential.

Boston could actually be a contender for a WC with some pitching additions.  I don't think they sell Rodriguez until the deadline if they do at all.  

I'd be totally fine with Quintana as one of our SP pickups.  I'm leaning toward not making a trade.