• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Drellich: Season likely to start on time

It's a little ridiculous that they were even considering not starting on time after the success of the NFL season, and particularly since Florida has embraced the freedom to remain open for a while now. If the games were being held in a state where they've shut everything down, I could understand because it would mean that rules are being enforced consistently, which is there right thing to do. But if states remain open, then the right thing to do is allow for Spring Training to occur.

No good reason to delay it. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's a little ridiculous that they were even considering not starting on time after the success of the NFL season, and particularly since Florida has embraced the freedom to remain open for a while now. If the games were being held in a state where they've shut everything down, I could understand because it would mean that rules are being enforced consistently, which is there right thing to do. But if states remain open, then the right thing to do is allow for Spring Training to occur.

No good reason to delay it. 

I think the owners would delay it if they could. Thing of it is, they're all about playing the PR game, and the optics of delaying would be nasty for them at this point. And given the CBA war coming at season's end, they want the fans on their side, not angry at them over refusing to let the players play so they can squeeze every last dollar out of the season that they can. 

10 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I really don't understand why delaying the season would make them money.

Each game played is money they pay to players. Each game played without fans is losing money.

They want to delay the season until the vaccine is widely available and in use so they can open up to fans, pro-rate contracts for less games, and make the most money they can.

9 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Each game played is money they pay to players. Each game played without fans is losing money.

They want to delay the season until the vaccine is widely available and in use so they can open up to fans, pro-rate contracts for less games, and make the most money they can.

Does it also mean less TV revenue? I really don't know.

5 hours ago, Revad said:

True but plenty of revenue is create while I’m scratching here and there and following on TV.  The owners have made plenty of money and need that tv audience.

Players don't earn a salary in the postseason, they stop getting paid at game 162.   So, anything that takes salaries away but retains or adds playoff TV revenue is a net win for ownership.

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Players don't earn a salary in the postseason, they stop getting paid at game 162.   So, anything that takes salaries away but retains or adds playoff TV revenue is a net win for ownership.

Actually they do get paid for playoffs and world series, just probably much less last season because the formula is based on gate receipts, according to this article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/29/the-red-sox-won-the-world-series-heres-how-much-money-theyll-earn.html

All players who compete in the postseason receive a playoff bonus, but the amount depends on how far their team advances. 

“The players’ pool” — which is divided among the 10 postseason clubs — “is formed from 50 percent of the gate receipts from the Wild Card Games; 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first three games of the Division Series; 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the League Championship Series; and 60 percent of the gate receipts from the first four games of the World Series,” according to the MLB.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Actually they do get paid for playoffs and world series, just probably much less last season because the formula is based on gate receipts, according to this article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/29/the-red-sox-won-the-world-series-heres-how-much-money-theyll-earn.html

All players who compete in the postseason receive a playoff bonus, but the amount depends on how far their team advances. 

So, my statement that players stop earning a salary when the postseason starts is correct, right?   

Also, tell me how much the Angels players made from the playoffs last year?   Meanwhile Arte and every other owner that missed out on the postseason still got a chunk of those national TV deals.   Why do you think owners were all about expanded playoffs at the expense of the length of the season?

Hope that clears up what I was saying.

Touchy are we? What I thought you were saying is playoff teams play for free. They don't. Their contracted salary ends but bonus pool money pays for their appearances.  Obviously the Angels players hot nothing, not being part of the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Touchy are we? What I thought you were saying is playoff teams play for free. They don't. Their contracted salary ends but bonus pool money pays for their appearances.  Obviously the Angels players hot nothing, not being part of the playoffs.

Easy with the touchy talk, maybe follow along with what's being said and why?

People asked why it was to the owners benefit that part of the season be cancelled -- I pointed out why.   Arte got his share, the Angels' players did not.   It's all good for the owners.

Also, there were ZERO gate receipts last year until the WS.    So you tell me.  Who stands to benefit?