• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Juan Graterol to a minor league deal

mmc

Quite a run for ol' Juan these last few years!

September 6, 2005: Signed by the Kansas City Royals as an amateur free agent.

November 4, 2014: Granted Free Agency.

November 10, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

November 6, 2015: Granted Free Agency.

January 12, 2016: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

November 28, 2016: Selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Los Angeles Angels.

December 23, 2016: Selected off waivers by the Arizona Diamondbacks from the Cincinnati Reds.

January 19, 2017: Selected off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

January 23, 2017: Selected off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays from the Los Angeles Angels.

April 18, 2017: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the Los Angeles Angels for player to be named or cash.

June 24, 2018: Released by the Los Angeles Angels.

June 28, 2018: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

October 10, 2018: Selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Minnesota Twins.

October 21, 2019: Granted Free Agency.

November 27, 2019: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

November 2, 2020: Granted Free Agency.

December 29, 2020: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

10 hours ago, Bronson said:

We all know this is just a depth piece every team does. It’s just funny irony that it happens the day after the Padres load up on aces. 

Indeed, it is a depth move, but I think it's a pretty decent one.

Graterol is a big zero offensively, but he is rated as a rather good defender.  Minasian has harped on the importance of a strong defensive catcher.  It doesn't hurt to have one in AAA and build depth.

As fans, we generally look for the big moves or the big ticket names, but GMs and PBOs make the big bucks by finding under-the-radar talent and improving depth on the fringes.  Graterol is likely not an example of this per se, but again, it doesn't hurt to have a good defensive catcher in AAA who we may need at some point.

14 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Quite a run for ol' Juan these last few years!

September 6, 2005: Signed by the Kansas City Royals as an amateur free agent.

November 4, 2014: Granted Free Agency.

November 10, 2014: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

November 6, 2015: Granted Free Agency.

January 12, 2016: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

November 28, 2016: Selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Los Angeles Angels.

December 23, 2016: Selected off waivers by the Arizona Diamondbacks from the Cincinnati Reds.

January 19, 2017: Selected off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

January 23, 2017: Selected off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays from the Los Angeles Angels.

April 18, 2017: Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the Los Angeles Angels for player to be named or cash.

June 24, 2018: Released by the Los Angeles Angels.

June 28, 2018: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

October 10, 2018: Selected off waivers by the Cincinnati Reds from the Minnesota Twins.

October 21, 2019: Granted Free Agency.

November 27, 2019: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.

November 2, 2020: Granted Free Agency.

December 29, 2020: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

I would be ok with that run.  It sure beats working for a living.

8 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Minasian has harped on the importance of a strong defensive catcher. 

I heard him mention the importance on MLB  radio once. When else has he “harped” on this? 

I’m just curious.

I ask because I think some fans hear something and they are the ones who actually harp on it and all of a sudden - they create their own narrative.

34 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I heard him mention the importance on MLB  radio once. When else has he “harped” on this? 

I’m just curious.

I ask because I think some fans hear something and they are the ones who actually harp on it and all of a sudden - they create their own narrative.

He said it in his official presser, but he has also said it in various interviews that he's had since then on other platforms, too.  I have heard him mention it on 3 separate occasions, and that is also the number of interviews I've heard from him, so .. 3 for 3.