• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cubs trade Yu Darvish and Victor Caratini to the Padres

mmc

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

This would've been difficult for the Angels to match and probably wouldn't help them. Giving up Davies is like giving up Bundy. The remainder probably would've been something like Knowles, Vera, Calabrese and Alex Ramirez.

It's not like it's a haul but bloating payroll and losing Bundy would be counterproductive. Sand while those are expendable prospects, they're also nice to have in the system. 

I think the prospect haul you mentioned is pretty spot on.  Not sure it would have taken Bundy.  Cubs probably would have wanted Sandoval which would have decreased what was given up in prospects because Davies only has the year of control.  

A Sandoval, Calabrese, Ramirez and Knowles package still would have been a decent kick in the nuts for the system.  

57 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the prospect haul you mentioned is pretty spot on.  Not sure it would have taken Bundy.  Cubs probably would have wanted Sandoval which would have decreased what was given up in prospects because Davies only has the year of control.  

A Sandoval, Calabrese, Ramirez and Knowles package still would have been a decent kick in the nuts for the system.  

That's fair logic. The reason I chose Bundy is because like Davies, he has one year left of team control and is coming off a breakout season, and read that the Cubs still feel they have enough on the roster to compete while their rotation is fronted by a #3 starter instead of an ace.

If it was Sandoval in place of Bundy, and the Cubs were willing to send enough cash back with You to make his price around 20 million a year, then I'd make that deal.

Not that they would.

• Blarg changed the title to Cubs trade Yu Darvish and Victor Caratini to the Padres
37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Who would be better , Bundy maybe, Heaney no, Canning, no Barria, no

Bundy Yes, Canning yes, Barria Maybe. Ohtani Defintiely yes.

Davies is a middle of the rotation pitcher who had a good year playing in the most extreme pitcher's park in the league. He is a slightly better Andrew Heaney.

Don't be such a downer on the guys the Angels have, there is quality. And yes before you start, I believe Ohtani bounces back next year, albiet in limited work. 20-24 Starts.

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

LOL.  Takes like this amuse me.  Seems like Angels fans always think we could have "topped" some other team's offer.  If this is a regular occurence, did ya ever stop to think that maaaaaaybe, just maybe other teams don't view Angels prospects and ML players as highly as we do? 

Exactly and more to the point both teams needs have to line up well or it doesn't make sense. So many factors go into a trade decision including how well the players being exchanged have been scouted (the prime reason why Major League players are usually more valuable, simply because you see the results on the field), makeup, prospect ceiling, contracts and value, controllability, and the needs of the organization in-question both in the short and long term.

The calculus is complex. It's 4-D chess, not checkers.

23 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Bundy Yes, Canning yes, Barria Maybe. Ohtani Defintiely yes.

Davies is a middle of the rotation pitcher who had a good year playing in the most extreme pitcher's park in the league. He is a slightly better Andrew Heaney.

Don't be such a downer on the guys the Angels have, there is quality. And yes before you start, I believe Ohtani bounces back next year, albiet in limited work. 20-24 Starts.

I'm just going by the numbers. Canning has year and a half let's see if he can stay healthy, Bundy has had 1 good year with Angels in a short season. I like Barria but Angels put him back in minors in 19 and was not in rotation till late last year. Ohtani if he is healthy and he has not been. Ohtani only couple of months his first year, since then arm problems. Just look at Zach Davies numbers they do not lie he has out pitched all of Angel starters. This does not mean Canning or Barria will not be better than Davies but they have to go out and do it first. I hope they do as well as Ohtani. 

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I'm just going by the numbers. Canning has year and a half let's see if he can stay healthy, Bundy has had 1 good year with Angels in a short season. I like Barria but Angels put him back in minors in 19 and was not in rotation till late last year. Ohtani if he is healthy and he has not been. Ohtani only couple of months his first year, since then arm problems. Just look at Zach Davies numbers they do not lie he has out pitched all of Angel starters. This does not mean Canning or Barria will not be better than Davies but they have to go out and do it first. I hope they do as well as Ohtani. 

2016 11-7 era 3.97, 2017 17-9 era 3.90, 2019 10-7 era 3.55  all years in Milwaukee a hitters park.

20 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

LOL.  Takes like this amuse me.  Seems like Angels fans always think we could have "topped" some other team's offer.  If this is a regular occurence, did ya ever stop to think that maaaaaaybe, just maybe other teams don't view Angels prospects and ML players as highly as we do? 

This was a salary dump. Cubs went with quantity over quality. All 28 remaining teams could have topped this offer if they wanted. 

Passan said there must have been no market for Darvish given the return. Also said given that there was obviously no market for Darvish then guys like Springer, Bauer, etc must not be getting the offers they want either

If Arte’s plan was to spend money this offseason he would’ve done so by now

11 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

This was a salary dump. Cubs went with quantity over quality. All 28 remaining teams could have topped this offer if they wanted. 

Passan said there must have been no market for Darvish given the return. Also said given that there was obviously no market for Darvish then guys like Springer, Bauer, etc must not be getting the offers they want either

If Arte’s plan was to spend money this offseason he would’ve done so by now

I don’t agree with this conclusion.  No one is spending money yet.  Hell the Mets have a new owner who is about the richest if not the richest owner in baseball, who didn’t suffer the losses the other owners suffered last season, and he has spent $40 million on a catcher and that is about it.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I don’t agree with this conclusion.  No one is spending money yet.  Hell the Mets have a new owner who is about the richest if not the richest owner in baseball, who didn’t suffer the losses the other owners suffered last season, and he has spent $40 million on a catcher and that is about it.  

Canada 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m just going by what Passan said on the radio today. 

He thinks there’s also the possibility that owners are waiting until things are decided with this season before they spend too. 

Padres are getting out ahead early so they’re not in a free for all once (if) all the owners feel comfortable spending again

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ignore my post above I didn’t see that you had bolded the bottom part. 

Yeah, that’s fine, part of that conclusion is me just becoming impatient