• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm in the Adell is a bust trade him now group

Erstad Grit

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

At what point do we stop referencing Brandon Wood?  The guy was a very  talented player that literally had mental anxiety problems that destroyed his chances of adjusting to the major leagues.

Are we seriously going to keep comparing every prospect to the one guy that had what turned into insurmountable mental anxiety problems?

I guess any prospect COULD have the same mental anxiety problem, but is that really a good reason to keep wondering if every prospect is the “next Brandon Wood”?

Sorry but I find it a worthless point at best.  Instead, I find it just almost mean to keep bringing up.

Alot of Angel fans only seem to know/remember two prospects, Brandon Wood and Mike Trout.  Anyone that doesn't pull a Trout right away is instantly Brandon Wood.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Alot of Angel fans only seem to only know/remrmber two prospects, Brandon Wood and Mike Trout.  Anyone that doesn't pull a Trout right away is instantly Brandon Wood.

Let's be more specific... only the f'ing stupid fans. 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Alot of Angel fans only seem to only know/remember two prospects, Brandon Wood and Mike Trout.  Anyone that doesn't pull a Trout right away is instantly Brandon Wood.

Yup. One is a historic bust and the other a demigod. If Wood is a 1 and Trout a 10 in terms of outcome relative to expectation, 90% of prospects end up somewhere in the 4-6 range, and 99.9% in the 2-9 range. Meaning, probably only about 1 in 1000 prospects end up as bad or good as Wood and Trout.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Alot of Angel fans only seem to know/remember two prospects, Brandon Wood and Mike Trout.  Anyone that doesn't pull a Trout right away is instantly Brandon Wood.

After reading through the first page of this thread, this is exactly what I was going to write.  Then I got to the second page and realized you had already written it.  So I'm going to start requesting partial credit for the smart things that you post first.  

we on AW have forgotten the value of the one year deal.  we have ptsd from Eppler trying to make that work.  This would be a very good team with Bauer and Richards/Archer/some other guy.  

I am and always have been in favor of Arte spending his way to being better over that of spending prospects to do so.  He actually gave Eppler some rope to do so over the last couple years and it was plenty enough to spell his demise.  

The best option for the long term viability of this franchise is for Minasian to be better at picking one year players.  If he's really good at it, the Angels can enter into another age of success similar to that of 2000-2010.  

Trust him for the first couple of years for now unless some smoking deal comes along to acquire that TOR starter (which it won't).  But maybe, just maybe, a team with that guy just absolutely loves Jordan Adams or Jeremiah Jackson or David Calabrese.  

Or if that trade changes our window from 6 years of being good to 3 or 4 years of being really really good.  Then I say pull the trigger.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yup. One is a historic bust and the other a demigod. If Wood is a 1 and Trout a 10 in terms of outcome relative to expectation, 90% of prospects end up somewhere in the 4-6 range, and 99.9% in the 2-9 range. Meaning, probably only about 1 in 1000 prospects end up as bad or good as Wood and Trout.

That's a great point.

I see Adell as a Goodwin 4th type outfielder. If that happens then while on your scale he'd be a 3 or 4 certainly with expectations that'd be a bust. 

People called HK a bust despite his success.  

Edited by Erstad Grit

3 hours ago, T.G. said:

Let's be more specific... only the f'ing stupid fans. 

Have a take but fn chill with the personal attacks.  If you want me to flaunt my fandom I will.  I've been in the correct minority very frequently on this board.  I said Pujols would be a terrible deal and many personally attacked me then.  I praised the Simmons deal.  I've had a lot of unpopular takes which have been proved accurate. To me Adell looks like a bust. I'll say Juan Rivera has a better career.  If you want to refute go ahead but calling me a stupid fan is poor taste. 

10 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Have a take but fn chill with the personal attacks.  If you want me to flaunt my fandom I will.  I've been in the correct minority very frequently on this board.  I said Pujols would be a terrible deal and many personally attacked me then.  I praised the Simmons deal.  I've had a lot of unpopular takes which have been proved accurate. To me Adell looks like a bust. I'll say Juan Rivera has a better career.  If you want to refute go ahead but calling me a stupid fan is poor taste. 

If you fit the category below... then I stand by my opinion that these fans are stupid. 

If that's not you - chill. I didn't name names. Don't take things so seriously.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Edited by T.G.

7 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

But I'm just a fan so I'm not claiming I know anything. I wanted to sign Bumgarner lol

15 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

If you want me to flaunt my fandom I will.  I've been in the correct minority very frequently on this board.  

Ok, which is it?

And again... I didn't attack you specifically.

18 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Ok, which is it?

And again... I didn't attack you specifically.

OK quick rundown on the big names?

I was right on

Pujols, Carl Crawford, Upton, Wells, Simmons, Corbin, Hamilton, Edmonds, Matthews, Figgins, McPherson over Glaus

Wrong on

Bumgarner, Prince Fielder, Kazmir, Ibanez, a ton more

My point is if Adell can be a centerpiece to get an ace, us choosing not to would be banking he will be a star.  I'm convinced he won't be a star. For me now Adell would be considered a bust if he becomes a nice 4th outfielder which is what I think he will.

When all is said and done do you think Adell will have had a better career than Juan Rivera? I say no. 

A-Rod had a career .224/.257/.352 slash line in his first 208 plate appearances in the Major Leagues after being a highly touted prospect. Bust! Trout had a career .220/.281/.390 slash line in his first 135 career plate appearances in the Major Leagues after being a highly touted prospect. Bust! Yeah, we should judge Adell based on a small sample size in the 2020 regular season.

1 hour ago, JustATroutFan said:

A-Rod had a career .224/.257/.352 slash line in his first 208 plate appearances in the Major Leagues after being a highly touted prospect. Bust! Trout had a career .220/.281/.390 slash line in his first 135 career plate appearances in the Major Leagues after being a highly touted prospect. Bust! Yeah, we should judge Adell based on a small sample size in the 2020 regular season.

So you're comparing him to two of the greatest baseball players ever. 

Also I'm confused why you reduce a baseball player to their hitting line. 

Adell looked like a lost athletic kid who had no idea what he was doing in the outfield.  I've said if you can trade him for Castillo you do it.

You wouldn't trade him for Castillo?

losing that year of minor league development was very unfortunate for Adell.  Even more unfortunate was bringing him up to the majors last year.  Something I still can't wrap my head around.  

With Maddon's recent comments about Adell needing to more time in the minors, I have to wonder if there was a bit of a disagreement between he and Eppler as to whether to call him up.  Not a big enough move to get Eppler fired, but one that certainly erodes confidence along with other things.  Also consider that Adell made his debut shortly after Billy got extended for a year.  

Sorry for the conspiracy theory.  I just still can't get over how silly it seemed to bring him up.  If Jo is mashing or even just pretty good in AAA last year then even an end of year call up with him struggling through 100 PA would probably barely register.  

He went from his couch to working out in long beach or Az or wherever to trying to hit major league pitching for the first time after showing that he was actually struggling a bit with AAA pitching last year.  The guy had zero opportunity to get in a rhythm let alone not seeing live game action.  Damn that was dumb.  

There no way I'm gonna try to peg Adell in one direction or another at this point.  I do concede that I'd trade him for the right piece.  But that right piece better be a TOR arm with at least three years of control.  Musgrove?  NFW.  Gray?  no.  Castillo?  yes I would consider it if there wasn't much else going the reds way.  Same applies to Marquez as Castillo.   In other words, that guy better be our best pitcher for at least three years and one of the better pitchers in baseball.  

I would still much rather sign Bauer first and foremost and then let the chips fall where they may.  If it's the right deal to move Adell then I consider it.  If not then grab another arm from somewhere else and go to war.  

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

That's a great point.

I see Adell as a Goodwin 4th type outfielder. If that happens then while on your scale he'd be a 3 or 4 certainly with expectations that'd be a bust. 

A lot of f’ing stupid fans said HK was a bust.

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

That's a great point.

Yep those people were idiots.  

8 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Ok I'll bite.

You got proof of all this "accuracy"?

You aren't stupid. Not in the slightest. But this is a really stupid take. You have every right to have this opinion and you may very well be right. But do you want to be right or wrong here? 

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

So you're comparing him to two of the greatest baseball players ever. 

Also I'm confused why you reduce a baseball player to their hitting line. 

Adell looked like a lost athletic kid who had no idea what he was doing in the outfield.  I've said if you can trade him for Castillo you do it.

You wouldn't trade him for Castillo?

He didn't compare Adell to A-Rod or Trout. I don't understand why people say this (it's not just you, EG) whenever a prospect gets off to a slow start and people mention that it's a common thing, citing Trout's poor start as an example. That's all that "comparison" is; stating that even the best players can get off to a bad start.

Baseball is hard. Most prospects don't come up and kill it immediately. I absolutely agree with you that Adell looked completely lost in every facet of the game, but I don't think it's because he's a "bust". It's because he isn't ready. He's 21. That's very young for a pro baseball player.

And you aren't understanding that if a fan on a message board, regardless of their intelligence, knows (thinks) that Adell is a bust, no GM is going to trade a frontline starter for him. If you're convinced he's a bust, then wouldn't the scouts and GM's also be convinced of this?

I'm trying to understand your point of view here. If Adell has significant trade value, then he's not a bust. If he's a bust, as you say, then he has zero trade value.