• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm in the Adell is a bust trade him now group

Erstad Grit

He still has value, albeit slightly diminished from a year ago. If he can be the centerpiece to get Castillo we got to do it.

Adell reminds me so much of Brandon Wood. He looked more than over-matched. He looked lost.

Glaus struggled when he came up but I'll always remember him playing great defense and the look in his eyes. Same with Trout.

In Wood and Adell I see the same scared lost look. I say trade him, sign Goodwin, and if Adell figures it out for another team I'm happy for him. IMO with the Trout window I'd rather have the proven ace rather than the hope Adell will be good a year from now. 

We can't let another off-season go by without addressing this rotation. 

2020 was a great season to make franchise altering decisions on. Shohei Ohtani is clearly done. Jo Adell is a bust. Jared Walsh is an MVP candidate. Brandon Marsh won't ever make it to the big leagues, etc...

21 year old with limited experience in the high minors gets his very first taste of professional pitching in the strangest season on record, and struggles. He's a bust. 

What Jo Adell is, is a very high upside prospect. He's a terrible defender, but eventually, he should be fine. He was a bad major league hitter with very good power and good speed. But eventually, he's probably going to be a decent major league hitter with great power and decent speed. It probably won't happen until he's 24 (spend age 22 in AAA developing, 23 in the major leagues holding his own and age 24 puts it all together).

43 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

He still has value, albeit slightly diminished from a year ago. If he can be the centerpiece to get Castillo we got to do it.

Adell reminds me so much of Brandon Wood. He looked more than over-matched. He looked lost.

Glaus struggled when he came up but I'll always remember him playing great defense and the look in his eyes. Same with Trout.

In Wood and Adell I see the same scared lost look. I say trade him, sign Goodwin, and if Adell figures it out for another team I'm happy for him. IMO with the Trout window I'd rather have the proven ace rather than the hope Adell will be good a year from now. 

We can't let another off-season go by without addressing this rotation. 

I think you're wrong. How long has Adell been in the organization vs. Wood? You can't throw away a guy after a dip-in-the-toe major league experience.

4 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

He has 124 at-bats in the big leagues. That seems a little quick to write him off. In his first year in the bigs, Mike Trout batted .220 with five home runs in 135 plate appearances.

Yeah but Trout didn't look lost and assist two HR's in the outfield. No way I envisioned Trout being THIS good, but I saw genuine talent in him that I don't see in Adell. 

52 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im in the we called him up to soon so he could play instead of wasting a year and last seasons numbers wont mean jack in the long run group.
Would I trade him in the right deal, yes, but not for significantly lower value.  
Way to early to play the bust card or dump him.

Trading him for Castillo would be dumping him to you?

Just now, Stradling said:

So if he isn’t Trout then he’s a bust?  

I see Adell being a Goodwin type of player. That's not a bust per se, but if he can be a centerpiece to trade for a guy like Castillo you do it. If we hung on to Adell and he establishes himself as a Goodwin/4th outfielder type player I think bust isn't far fetched. 

I don't think he's a bust. The likelihood is still on the side of him being a very good player. That said, he kinda rubbed me the wrong way with his complaints about being rated as "raw" and "toolsy" and claiming it was racist. My issue wasn't with that in itself, but with the fact that he then went out and showed that the evaluation was spot on. Maybe it's unfair, but the impression I took home is that Adell is kinda full of himself.

I won't care if they keep him as long as he performs, but we need pitching and at this point I feel like either he or Marsh should be moved for a TOR (or as close as possible) arm.

Wood's first significant exposure to the big leagues was in 2008 at age 23, hitting .200/.224/.327 in 157 PA. He had played over 200 games in AAA.

Adell hit .161/.212/.266 in 132 PA at age 21, after playing in 27 AAA games.

Give the guy a chance before making that comparison.

Goodwin is an interesting comp, because he also was an athletic first rounder. But it really stops there. Goodwin was drafted out of college and played his first pro games at 21, reaching the majors in 2016 at age 25. Adell was in the minors at age 18 and reached the majors at 21.

Anyhow, I think Adell will be a good player, maybe a star. It just might take him a couple years. We'll see him in 2021 and he should be a starting outfielder by 2022.

Edited by Angelsjunky

16 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't think he's a bust. The likelihood is still on the side of him being a very good player. That said, he kinda rubbed me the wrong way with his complaints about being rated as "raw" and "toolsy" and claiming it was racist. My issue wasn't with that in itself, but with the fact that he then went out and showed that the evaluation was spot on. Maybe it's unfair, but the impression I took home is that Adell is kinda full of himself.

I won't care if they keep him as long as he performs, but we need pitching and at this point I feel like either he or Marsh should be moved for a TOR (or as close as possible) arm.

I think he’ll be fine, how long has he been focusing on baseball?  I think we’re all desperate for pitching and that makes trading Adell easier to accept.

At what point do we stop referencing Brandon Wood?  The guy was a very  talented player that literally had mental anxiety problems that destroyed his chances of adjusting to the major leagues.

Are we seriously going to keep comparing every prospect to the one guy that had what turned into insurmountable mental anxiety problems?

I guess any prospect COULD have the same mental anxiety problem, but is that really a good reason to keep wondering if every prospect is the “next Brandon Wood”?

Sorry but I find it a worthless point at best.  Instead, I find it just almost mean to keep bringing up.

2 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You trade him for a young ace.  Not for anything else.   He is not a bust but he also not a guarantee above average player.  We need pitching and we have other high values outfielders 

^^^^ Maybe Castillo...not many others....