• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who Will We See First: Detmers, Rodriguez or Kochanowicz

Revad

As we scratch our heads and wonder who and how many SP will be added to the Angels MLB roster for this year, I wonder if our prospect experts can predict when the farm will finally bring us a TOR, specifically I'm curious which of Detmers, Rodriguez or Kochanowicz will be first up and when that will be.

Edited by Revad

13 minutes ago, Revad said:

As we scratch our heads and wonder who and how many SP will be added to the Angels MLB roster for this year, I wonder if our prospect experts can predict when the farm will finally bring us a TOR, specifically I'm curious which of Detmers, Rodriguez or Kochanowicz will be first up and when that will be.

If you're talking pure stuff -- it's Rodriguez, Koch, Detmers.   It's likely a toss up between Rodriguez and Detmers in a race to reach MLB.  If I had to bet on anyone it would be Detmers, only because the Angels may want to give Rodriguez time to prove the back issue is completely behind him.

Kochanowicz will likely be headed for A Ball and finish the season at High A. He'll be a rotation piece in 2023. Rodriguez and Detmers will both start in AA, though Detmers figures to finish the season in Anaheim. 

The big thing with Rod was actually getting a healthy season out of him. Now that they know he can be healthy, it's more about development. He'll be a rotation or bullpen piece in 2022.

I'm guessing Crod will be up first, sometime in mid-to-late 2021. Detmers will get a September call up. Both will be in the rotation in 2022. 

Kochanowicz has a longer road and, as Scotty said, spend 2021 in A/A+. 2022 will be A+/AA, and he'll be up sometime in 2023.

Edited by Angelsjunky

toss up between Detmers and Rodriguez.  They'll both likely start in AA and be in AAA pretty quick.  I suspect that Detmers is going to be a bit more polished to start out and that will put him on a bit of an earlier track.  If we see Kochanowicz before either them then something has gone terrible wrong for both Detmers or Rodriguez.  I actually hope he's not even in the conversation unless he becomes one of the best SP prospects in baseball.  Also, if Detmers is in the rotation by the end of the year, it likely means that Minasian's moves have largely failed or we suffered a shit ton of injuries.  

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Why is Kochanowicz even part of this?  He’s obviously the last.

Suppose Rodriguez has a slow recovery from back injury?  And if we don’t sign Bauer, Detmers may be part of a trade....

2 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Was thinking that too. His only pro experience was working out at the Alternative training site this past season. Hasn't faced any batters except throwing BP.

See above- if we don’t take on a bad contract the prospect cost for a #1 starter is going to be very high, likely including a least one of those three pitchers, to say nothing of one of Adell, Marsh or Adams.  So who knows?  I’m guessing what most seem to be- Detmers will be the first.

19 hours ago, Dochalo said:

toss up between Detmers and Rodriguez.  They'll both likely start in AA and be in AAA pretty quick.  I suspect that Detmers is going to be a bit more polished to start out and that will put him on a bit of an earlier track.  If we see Kochanowicz before either them then something has gone terrible wrong for both Detmers or Rodriguez.  I actually hope he's not even in the conversation unless he becomes one of the best SP prospects in baseball.  Also, if Detmers is in the rotation by the end of the year, it likely means that Minasian's moves have largely failed or we suffered a shit ton of injuries.  

Too pessimistic for my blood. Detmers being in the rotation by the end of the year could simply means that something has gone terribly right, and he's developed into a good pitcher very quickly, which was well within his limits when he was drafted. If for some reason, Kochanowicz beats them to the big leagues, it could simply be a byproduct of realized upside. The same scout that told me about Jose Soriano so early on said Kochanowicz was going to go 1-1 if he went to college. 

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

Too pessimistic for my blood. Detmers being in the rotation by the end of the year could simply means that something has gone terribly right, and he's developed into a good pitcher very quickly, which was well within his limits when he was drafted. If for some reason, Kochanowicz beats them to the big leagues, it could simply be a byproduct of realized upside. The same scout that told me about Jose Soriano so early on said Kochanowicz was going to go 1-1 if he went to college. 

not pessimistic but realistic.  I want your scenario to happen way more than I'd want mine to.  But the odds are that if the rotation pieces Minasian acquires are doing well, they aren't getting replaced by a rookie call up on a permanent basis.  No matter how well that rookie is doing in the minors.  I certainly think Detmers makes his debut in 2021.  

In fact, my outlook is actually optimistic.  Optimistic that the team will perform well enough without need him in the rotation.  

And I'd slow your roll on Kochanowicz.  I'm really excited about him as you are, but even if he were going 1-1 out of college, that would be two more seasons from now and he likely still wouldn't be in the bigs for another 1-2 years at best.  Even to make his debut by age 22 (he's entering his age 20 season for 2021) would be fantastic and rare.  The odds of him moving past Detmers or Rodriguez on the depth chart are almost nil.  Even if he does extremely well.  The other two might not even be performing nearly as well and I still think they get to the majors way sooner.  We'll probably see several other prospects get a shot before he does.  Ones that are way less lauded.  

Ideally, both Rodriguez and Detmers pitch well enough in 2021 so that we don't have to spend any money on the rotation for 2022.  

I want them all to do really really well yet not have to need them.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

not pessimistic but realistic.  I want your scenario to happen way more than I'd want mine to.  But the odds are that if the rotation pieces Minasian acquires are doing well, they aren't getting replaced by a rookie call up on a permanent basis.  No matter how well that rookie is doing in the minors.  I certainly think Detmers makes his debut in 2021.  

In fact, my outlook is actually optimistic.  Optimistic that the team will perform well enough without need him in the rotation.  

And I'd slow your roll on Kochanowicz.  I'm really excited about him as you are, but even if he were going 1-1 out of college, that would be two more seasons from now and he likely still wouldn't be in the bigs for another 1-2 years at best.  Even to make his debut by age 22 (he's entering his age 20 season for 2021) would be fantastic and rare.  The odds of him moving past Detmers or Rodriguez on the depth chart are almost nil.  Even if he does extremely well.  The other two might not even be performing nearly as well and I still think they get to the majors way sooner.  We'll probably see several other prospects get a shot before he does.  Ones that are way less lauded.  

Ideally, both Rodriguez and Detmers pitch well enough in 2021 so that we don't have to spend any money on the rotation for 2022.  

I want them all to do really really well yet not have to need them.  

You refer to Detmers as some rookie call up, I'd refer to Detmers as the best collegiate pitcher from his draft class developing and making his debut. Some rookie call up makes it sound like he's a random prospect that they'll roll with until guys get healthy or a better option can be acquired. Detmers figures to be a mid rotation starter in a very short amount of time. 

If it happens in 2021, then there shouldn't be any hesitation to have him replace a lower performer. Maybe it happens in 2022.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You refer to Detmers as some rookie call up, I'd refer to Detmers as the best collegiate pitcher from his draft class developing and making his debut. Some rookie call up makes it sound like he's a random prospect that they'll roll with until guys get healthy or a better option can be acquired. Detmers figures to be a mid rotation starter in a very short amount of time. 

If it happens in 2021, then there shouldn't be any hesitation to have him replace a lower performer. Maybe it happens in 2022.

Semantics!

I honestly think it depends on who the catcher will be for the Angels.  If they have someone behind the plate with the ability to help a young pitcher limit their mistakes, it may not matter who is pitching.

I know I was frustrated with Barria, Suarez and Sandoval but for the most part, they were forced to pitch at the major league level using a system that did not always utilize the unique abilities of the pitcher.  Pitch calling and excellent catchers make a difference.  I would love to see what someone like Yadier Molina could do in a season with Barria, Suarez and Sandoval.

19 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I honestly think it depends on who the catcher will be for the Angels.  If they have someone behind the plate with the ability to help a young pitcher limit their mistakes, it may not matter who is pitching.

I know I was frustrated with Barria, Suarez and Sandoval but for the most part, they were forced to pitch at the major league level using a system that did not always utilize the unique abilities of the pitcher.  Pitch calling and excellent catchers make a difference.  I would love to see what someone like Yadier Molina could do in a season with Barria, Suarez and Sandoval.

Stassi is a very good catcher.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Stassi is a very good catcher.  

Yes, but someone like Molina has much more experience, and sometimes experience behind the plate is helpful in developing young pitchers.  And no, I am not advocating signing Molina, I am pointing out that developing a pitcher can happen in many ways and often that development continues at the major league level requiring the right conditions.

I'm not ready to dismiss Barria, Suarez or Sandoval as possible solutions to the Angel's pitching problems.