• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This could be the worst season ever

Think about it. Last year at least the Angels started playing well and made the season reasonably interesting. 2010-11 were bad, but we were jaded and thought things would turn around eventually. 2003 wasn't so bad because we were still riding on the clouds of glory that was 2002, and weren't used to being World champs.

1987-2001 were, well, business as usual for a sucky franchise. 1995 was close, but only the last third - the first two-thirds were amazing. 1986 was bad, but only in the postseason, and hey, at least we made it. 1979-85 were a time of mercenary pseudo-contenders, with a couple playoff appearances and generally decent teams. 1961-78 were bad, but the franchise didn't know any better.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse season than 2013, at least so far. Not only is it disappointing but it points to a rather crappy near future. The Athletics and Rangers are both great franchises with excellent farm systems and GMs who how to assemble a team.

Maybe its time to bring Bill Stoneman back.

I became a fan in 1999 but was just getting into it so I can't recall the whole vibe of the season, I remember Collins getting fired and the team sucking but not much else.

But this really could be the worst season since I've been a fan.  2000 was fun just because of how insane the offense was, despite the pitching being shit.  2001 was bad, but back then I had no expectations of the team being good since they'd been mediocre to bad since I'd been a fan, it was all I knew.  2003 was bad but we had several key guys on the DL so there seemed to be a valid excuse.  2006 was like 2012, the slow start cost us but it was a good team in the 2nd half.  2010 was probably the worst especially since it was the season following 3 straight Division titles, I just remember August and September that year being painful to watch.  But this year is just bad, I've never been this bored watching an Angels team in my 14 years as a fan.  The fact that there are so many high paid stars underperforming makes it even worse, at least in the past there was kind of an underdog/lovable loser type vibe.  Hard to feel that for a guy making 25 million dollars per year.

I became a fan in 1999 but was just getting into it so I can't recall the whole vibe of the season, I remember Collins getting fired and the team sucking but not much else.

I was at the game the night Collins got fired. There was a buzz in the stands when Joe Maddon came out to home plate with the lineup card. It took a while for the news to circulate through the stands.

I'm with gurn67. Anyone who was around for the 1980 season has been tempered the agony of watching that team implode like no other. This season is miserable and one of the worst when measured against expectations, but that 1980 season was truly a disaster. One thing I've learned about expectations in baseball is to never expect anything.

The Angels have never won more than 79 games in seasons ending in 3.

1963 won 70 games

1973 won 79 games

1983 won 70 games

1993 won 71 games

2003 won 77 games

2013 Angels are on pace to win 70 games.

Amazing!

Ha!  The "3"'s is a very curious statistical anomaly.

I was too young to truely measure the "worst" attribute of some those seasons in the 60's and 70's because I was young and the way we evaluated baseball and expectations was so radically different back then.  Plus it was nearly impossible to follow other teams in a meaningful way like we can today, so our expectation setting is much more normalized today as well.

But I have little doubt that if you polled many critics or baseball historians, if the season trajectory continues as it is...this will undoubtedly be the biggest failure if you consider expectations/roster/salary vs. total wins and losses.

Wins and losses in a vacuum don't do much for me.

Ah, the memories....

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/sep/04/news/mn-6818

"...players have taken turns pointing fingers at each other for being soft, for not taking losing hard enough, for having a lackadaisical attitude, for being unprofessional and for putting individual goals above team goals."

"We thought we had the right core of players here. . . . Frankly, I think it's all excuses. We have to take a long look at the character of this team and determine if it can perform when the chips are down."

Sound familiar?

Ah, the memories....

"...players have taken turns pointing fingers at each other for being soft, for not taking losing hard enough, for having a lackadaisical attitude, for being unprofessional and for putting individual goals above team goals."

"We thought we had the right core of players here. . . . Frankly, I think it's all excuses. We have to take a long look at the character of this team and determine if it can perform when the chips are down."

Sound familiar?

* Reliever Troy Percival accused some teammates of not supporting him during a bench-clearing brawl.

The famous game where Hud was crying on air.

To be honest with two titanic sized contracts Albert Pujols and Hambone...it might be a rough patch down the road for the Angels when they are expected to get more money.

You've only just hit the iceberg....now the sinking process is starting...

Fingers Crossed for you guys that they patch up the ship

Or else it's a long journey to Davy Jones's locker.

Ah, the memories....

Sound familiar?

Spot on! At least the players on that team actually bickered. Seems like most of these losers couldn't give two shits. 

I'm with gurn67. Anyone who was around for the 1980 season has been tempered the agony of watching that team implode like no other. This season is miserable and one of the worst when measured against expectations, but that 1980 season was truly a disaster. One thing I've learned about expectations in baseball is to never expect anything.

I agree. My second full season following the Angels after an incredible '79. What a turd that '80 team laid after expectations were incredibly high.

Easily the '80 team.

The worst for me so far and I lived and died with the 95' team. That team didn't have much expectations so riding the high for most of the season was fun and I was proud of the way they fought back in the last week just to force the one game playoff.

The worst for me was 1986. To go all that way and end up one strike from the World Series. I don't think anything will ever be that disappointing. Even with all of the failures this year.

At least that team was in that spot. This team has been a world series favorite for 2 straight years and has utterly disappointed.