• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

All things being equal, which starter(s) do you prefer

Hubs

Which starter do you prefer?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Starter #1

• Bauer
    • Darvish
    • Marquez
    • Gray
    • Snell
    • Carrasco
    • Odorizzi
    • Tanaka
    • Musgrove
    • Hendricks
    • Sugano
    • Someone Else
  2. 2. Starter Number 2

• Bauer
    • Darvish
    • Marquez
    • Snell
    • Gray
    • Carrasco
    • Odorizzi
    • Tanaka
    • Musgrove
    • Hendricks
    • Sugano
    • No one / swing man from

I went with Bauer and Snell.  Both guys miss bats, and strikeouts don't move runners.  If both are brought on board, in theory we could then trade one of Heaney, Bundy, or Canning to fill other needs, like a power reliever, (Archie Bradley), or a catcher, (Contreras).  

Even if we brought in those two, and traded one, a rotation of Bauer, Snell, Ohtani, Bundy, and two of our other starters is a very deep staff, and competes with a WS caliber rotation, like the Dodgers. 

18 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

Lot of people picking Snell but not much comment on why. I picked him too. Mostly based off his interview after the WS. Dude seriously studies the game/hitters and wants to win. It matters to him. He truly hates losing. Not all MLPs have this attribute. 

That’s true.

The question is if he truly can pitch at least 6 innings regularly and TB was just being TB?

If we are in win now mode but with an eye on the future then I’d do my best to sign Bauer and Tanaka.  If I can’t get Bauer I probably go Tanaka and Paxton and another pen arm.  Then at the deadline, when you still have all of your farm in tact you trade fir the pitcher that is having the best season that’s available. 

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If we are in win now mode but with an eye on the future then I’d do my best to sign Bauer and Tanaka.  If I can’t get Bauer I probably go Tanaka and Paxton and another pen arm.  Then at the deadline, when you still have all of your farm in tact you trade fir the pitcher that is having the best season that’s available. 

i would agree with this 100% in concept, just not as wild about Tanaka over others but it wouldnt break my heart either

Paxton is hurt every 15 minutes.   

Dude has been around since 2013 and he's managed as many as 160 innings all of once.   He makes Garret Richards seem like an iron-man by comparison.  He's talented for sure, but he's one of those guys you can't really count on.

Angels need as much upside as possible and he definitely bring that but if you sign a Paxton, you need the other guy to be a sure thing.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Paxton is hurt every 15 minutes.   

Dude has been around since 2013 and he's managed as many as 160 innings all of once.   He makes Garret Richards seem like an iron-man by comparison.  He's talented for sure, but he's one of those guys you can't really count on.

Angels need as much upside as possible and he definitely bring that but if you sign a Paxton, you need the other guy to be a sure thing.

Fair, but there is no sure thing.

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

Fair, but there is no sure thing.

Of course not, he's a pitcher. 

But there are guys who are biggest risks and Paxton's at the top of that list IMO.    Paxton has not started or finished a season without missing time even once in his entire career.   When you consider his FB last year was off almost 4 MPH from his career norms and that even now in a showcase at 94 he's 1.5 miles below his career average you're talking about a guy who's been injured a lot and may be having velocity issues.  Throwing 94 in a showcase and throwing 94 over the course of a game much less a season are two very different things.  He wasn't that effective throwing 92.5 last year,   So again, there is more risk there than with some others.

I'd sooner pursue Richards than Paxton but all the same caveats apply -- they need to find a surer bet to go with either guy.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Of course not, he's a pitcher. 

But there are guys who are biggest risks and Paxton's at the top of that list IMO.    Paxton has not started or finished a season without missing time even once in his entire career.   When you consider his FB last year was off almost 4 MPH from his career norms and that even now in a showcase at 94 he's 1.5 miles below his career average you're talking about a guy who's been injured a lot and may be having velocity issues.  Throwing 94 in a showcase and throwing 94 over the course of a game much less a season are two very different things.  He wasn't that effective throwing 92.5 last year,   So again, there is more risk there than with some others.

I'd sooner pursue Richards than Paxton but all the same caveats apply -- they need to find a surer bet to go with either guy.

All true, but upside also matter, and Paxton has a significantly higher ceiling than Richards.
My goal is to get someone who could take a place at the top.  Kluber and Paxton could conceivably do that.  
No its no guarantee, but its at least a possibility.

Snell and Gray.

Savvy veterans with probably two or three quality years left at least. Experienced, been with playoff teams, know the league. Know how to get out of jams and remain poised under pressure. Not elite, but professional. durable and dependable. 

At this point. Minasian needs solid veteran starters for a couple of years while the farm team produces and younger players mature. Deals can be made if the opportunity to add quality presents itself. 

We could use a Clyde Wright type of top end starter.

P_20201222_131445_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

P_20201222_131519_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

3 hours ago, floplag said:

All true, but upside also matter, and Paxton has a significantly higher ceiling than Richards.
My goal is to get someone who could take a place at the top.  Kluber and Paxton could conceivably do that.  
No its no guarantee, but its at least a possibility.

I think he's trying to tell you that Paxton doesn't have that ceiling.  Not anymore.  Richards and Paxton are actually pretty similar.  I would say that right now, Richards actually has a much better chance of being a starter with some upside where Paxton is circling the drain.  

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Yeah, no.  We will have to disagree there. 

Richard's numbers as a starter are better than Paxton's (including the predictive data), and there is no comparison stuff wise.  

Paxton being a lefty is the big plus with him.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think he's trying to tell you that Paxton doesn't have that ceiling.  Not anymore.  Richards and Paxton are actually pretty similar.  I would say that right now, Richards actually has a much better chance of being a starter with some upside where Paxton is circling the drain.  

He doesn't pitch in Safeco anymore either.   Safeco made him look a lot better, his averages allowed, ERA home and pretty much tell the story.   Richards was pretty much the same pitcher everywhere.

And yes, unlike Paxton, there are no questions regarding a drop in stuff.

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, no.  We will have to disagree there. 

Richard's numbers as a starter are better than Paxton's (including the predictive data), and there is no comparison stuff wise.  

Paxton being a lefty is the big plus with him.

He doesn't pitch in Safeco anymore either.   Safeco made him look a lot better, his averages allowed, ERA home and pretty much tell the story.   Richards was pretty much the same pitcher everywhere.

And yes, unlike Paxton, there are no questions regarding a drop in stuff.

As you say, we can agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I think that was pretty clear actually.  But thanks. 

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well, if you can show where the stuff or the data supports your opinion I will gladly reconsider my position.   

When it's all said and done I think it's much ado about nothing, neither guy should be looked at as anything other than the second SP added if they eventually do add two.

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

not trying to be a dick, but just curious what you're disagreeing with.  If it's that your gut tells you it's better to take a chance on Paxton than Richards then so be it.  But everything we saw from him in 2020 points to some very concerning stuff relative to his future and what is to be expected.  Whereas Richards was pretty much who he's always been.  

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

not trying to be a dick, but just curious what you're disagreeing with.  If it's that your gut tells you it's better to take a chance on Paxton than Richards then so be it.  But everything we saw from him in 2020 points to some very concerning stuff relative to his future and what is to be expected.  Whereas Richards was pretty much who he's always been.  

If it's gut feeling, we've all been there... So, fair enough. 

But yeah, there were some worrisome signs last year and even at 94, that makes him a different animal than what he was previously.   Mostly, his inability to be healthy for an any entire season is what worries me.  I always likened him to his fellow Canadian, Erik Beard.  Both lefties, both capable of being dominant, but both struggle to stay healthy.

Big Maple was/is easy to like.