• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

All things being equal, which starter(s) do you prefer

Hubs

Which starter do you prefer?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Starter #1

• Bauer
    • Darvish
    • Marquez
    • Gray
    • Snell
    • Carrasco
    • Odorizzi
    • Tanaka
    • Musgrove
    • Hendricks
    • Sugano
    • Someone Else
  2. 2. Starter Number 2

• Bauer
    • Darvish
    • Marquez
    • Snell
    • Gray
    • Carrasco
    • Odorizzi
    • Tanaka
    • Musgrove
    • Hendricks
    • Sugano
    • No one / swing man from

Not sure what you mean by "all things being equal," but here are the starters with 2021 age and current team, career ERA, and current contract, ordered by 2019-20 fWAR:

Sonny Gray (31, Reds) 6.1 in 231.1 IP, 3.54, $20.3M 2021-22 (plus $12M team option for 2023)

Trevor Bauer (30, FA) 5.8 in 276 IP, 3.90, Free Agent

German Marquez (26, Rockies) 5.7 in 255.2 IP, 4.24, $34.4M 2021-23 (incl $2.5M buyout for 2024, with $16M team option)

Yu Darvish (34, Cubs) 5.6 in 254.2 IP, 3.47, $59M 2021-23

Liam Hendricks (32, FA) 5.3 in 110.1 IP, 4.10, Free Agent

Jake Odorizzi (31, FA) 4.3 in 172.2 IP (2018-19, dnp in '20), 3.92, Free Agent

Joe Musgrove (28, Pirates) 4.3 in 210 IP, 4.33, est. $7M in arbitration 2021-22

Masahiro Tanaka (32, FA) 4.1 in 230 IP, 3.74, Free Agent

Blake Snell (28, Rays) 3.3 in 157 IP, 3.24, $40.8M 2021-23

Carlos Carrasco (34, "Indians") 2.4 in 148 IP, 3.77, $28M 2021-22 (incl. $3M buyout for 2023)

Tomoyuki Sugano (31, FA) ? in 273.2 IP, 2.34 ERA in Japanese league, Free Agent

As you can see, all things being equal and Gray, Bauer, Marquez and Darvish are head and shoulders above the rest, all with a very good WAR and IP over the last year and a third (or so).

Odorizzi, Musgrove, and Tanaka are similar. Snell and Carrasco have missed a lot of time.

Hendricks and Sugano are outliers, with the former being an elite closer and the latter a complete unknown.

Based on the above, the most valuable pitcher is probably Marquez. Not only is he very young, but he's under club control for up to four more years at $12M AAV. He'd probably cost an arm and a leg to get (Adell, Jackson, Barria, Thaiss?).

Gray leads the pack in WAR, but is five years older than Marquez and with only two years of club control, so would cost less. Musgrove and Snell are of similar value, although Snell has the CY and World Series appearance, and thus would likely cost more; meaning, Musgrove would be better value. Darvish would probably cost similarly, because he's been better but is older and more expensive. Carrasco is getting up there in age and has declined and missed time, so would be a bit risky, but probably cheap.

Of the free agents, Bauer is the big fish, with a big drop to Odorizzi and Tanaka, who I think are similar in value. Again, Hendricks is his own thing and Sugano an unknown, but probably similar or a bit lower than Odorizzi/Tanaka.

Trade value/cost: Marquez > Gray > Snell > Musgrove > Darvish > Carrasco

Free agent cost: Bauer > Tanaka > Odorizzi > Hendricks > Sugano

Likely future value: Marquez > Musgrove/Snell > Gray/Bauer > Darvish/Sugano/Odorizzi/Hendricks > Carrasco

Edited by Angelsjunky

All things are not equal. 
It all comes down to if Arte is willing to bust the budget, if he is go big or go home.  
If he isnt then Bauer is out as we dont have the money for him and other needs.
Its hard to really play this game based on that.

52 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Sign Bauer, trade for Darvish and Contreras. You can stick your mom in RF and we're going to the world series! 

If your going to go this route why not add Pederson too, at that point whats another 10M ish?  🙂

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Basically, the way I perceived this was, "who are the best pitchers?" In which case, Darvish and Snell are.

I assumed more than 2020 is in view. I wouldn't count on Darvish as a long term option. Maybe 2 years. Possibly 3 if you get lucky. I picked Bauer and Musgrove because I'm concerned about Snell's durability - I trust Bauer's more long term, same with Musgrove over Darvish. Would Darvish and Snell be better in 2020? Sure. But the difference isn't enough to sacrifice future years. 

If "all things being equal" removes speculation about durability and injury I take Snell as long as the trade doesn't take the cream of our pitching prospects.  I'm fine with Adell or Marsh as well as "overpaying" with other position players.  Three years of Snell gives them a TOR arm that can be supplemented with the freedom to let Minasian be Minasian with the flexibility in payroll it brings.  The farm needs to be maintained and managed well but not to Stoneman levels.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

I assumed more than 2020 is in view. I wouldn't count on Darvish as a long term option. Maybe 2 years. Possibly 3 if you get lucky. I picked Bauer and Musgrove because I'm concerned about Snell's durability - I trust Bauer's more long term, same with Musgrove over Darvish. Would Darvish and Snell be better in 2020? Sure. But the difference isn't enough to sacrifice future years. 

It's a good thing Darvish is only under contract for three years then, isn't it? 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Trade for Carrasco and sign a FA, even Happ who was not on list. Everyone wants Bauer but I think his price will leave nothing left for other needs. With Carrasco and Happ will still have money left and maybe Ohtani comes back.

So not this. No no no.