• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Did Trevor Bauer pull a Rocky III

Docwaukee

4 hours ago, Lou said:

Ha. I was just going to post that I am going to reserve judgement until recon chimes in. 

Im trying my hardest not to let my A.D.D. and love for shitty old movies derail the thread as usual..... but rocky 3 is begging for some posts.

Like, I like how he somehow learned to speak and think in that 1. First two was a loveable idiot. Compare his commercial in the caveman suit in part 2 to him in part 3..... like 2 apollo beatings knocked some sense into him.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im trying my hardest not to let my A.D.D. and love for shitty old movies derail the thread as usual..... but rocky 3 is begging for some posts.

Like, I like how he somehow learned to speak and think in that 1. First two was a loveable idiot. Compare his commercial in the caveman suit in part 2 to him in part 3..... like 2 apollo beatings knocked some sense into him.

I appreciate you.

I look at it this way: worst-case scenario and he reverts to 2016-17/19 form, which is just about exactly as good as Heaney was in 2018: meaning, a solid #3 starter. That's worst-case. Best-case and he figured something out in 2020 and will be one of the best pitchers in baseball over the next five years or so.

He could also be a Zack Greinke type, alternating #1 and #3 seasons, thereby be a true #2 caliber starter. That would make him the best Angels starter since Jered Weaver's prime (aside from Richards' one year).

Very few guys have seasons like Bauer's 2018 and 20 every year: Scherzer, Kershaw (the younger version), probably Beiber. Or consider, over the last 10+ years (2010-20) there have been only been 87 pitcher seasons of 5+ fWAR, or about 9 per year. Here's how they break down:

7 5+ WAR seasons: Scherzer 7.5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.4, 5.9, 5.6, 5.6

6 5+ WAR seasons: Verlander 6.9, 6.7, 6.6, 6.5, 6.4, 5.4 (7 total)

5 5+ WAR seasons: Kershaw 8.6, 8.6, 7.3, 7.2, 6.1

4 5+ WAR seasons: Sale 7.6, 5.6, 5.3, 5.0, Kluber 7.2, 7.2, 5.6, 5.5, Lee 7.3, 7.1, 5.6, 5.0 (6 total), F Hernandez 6.7, 6.6, 6.1, 5.3 (5 total)

3 5+ WAR seasons: Cole 7.4, 6.0, 5.1

2 5+ WAR seasons: deGrom 9.0, 7.0, Price 6.7, 5.6, Carrasco 5.4, 5.2, Weaver 5.9, 5.4, Strasburg 5.9, 5.6, Sabathia 5.8, 5.5 (6 total), Wainwright 6.2, 5.1 (3 total), Greinke 5.4, 5.3 (3 total), Halladay 8.7, 6.2 (8 total)

1 5+ WAR season: Arrieta 7.0, Harvey 6.9, Lynn 6.8, J Fernandez 6.3, Hughes 6.3, Morton 6.1, Johnson 6.0, Syndergaard 6.0, Jimenez 6.0, Haren 5.9 (3 total), Sanchez 5.9, Corbin 5.9, Bauer 5.8, Keuchel 5.7, Severino 5.6, Liriano 5.6, Bieber 5.6, Zimmermann 5.4, Fister 5.4, Lester 5.4, Nola 5.4, Masterson 5.1, Latos 5.1, Giolito 5.1, Hamels 5.1, Wilson 5.1, Porcello 5.1, Archer 5.1, Gonzalez 5.0, Buehler 5.0.

In other words, only 16 pitchers have had at least two 5+ WAR seasons in the last decade, and four or five of those are retired (Halladay, Lee, Weaver, Sabathia, and I assume King Felix is done).

I think what we're looking for as far as "perennial aces" go is at least three such seasons, and the list gets even smaller: only Scherzer, Verlander, Kershaw, Sale, Kluber, Cole, and Greinke among active players. DeGrom got started late and will almost certainly join their ranks. Others with a good chance: Carrasco, Strasburg, Severino, Bieber, Giolito, Buehler, and maybe Bauer. Plus, probably a few others who've never done it.

Anyhow, Bauer may settle in as a 4 WAR starter for half a decade, +/- WAR in any given year.

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This is the content I come here for.