• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do the Angels really need to sign or trade for two starting pitchers?

Hubs

If Angels acquire two starters  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Angel isn’t in the rotation?

• Barria/Sandoval
    • Canning
    • Ohtani
    • Heaney
    • Bundy

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.38.57 AM.png

The Angels have 5 starters who made multiple starts in 2020. 

I see a lot of posts where the poster wants to acquire two or three starters, and I don’t know where they all fit. 

I think we need one Ace. And depth in AAA and the pen.

So who leaves the rotation or goes to AAA if the Angels sign two starters? There are only so many starts.

25 minutes ago, Revad said:

I think Canning should be in the rotation.  If we pick up two starters (I think that’s a good plan) and a good reliever Sandoval can go to AAA and Barria to the pen, if we don’t get a solid reliever Sandoval also goes to the pen

I think this is basically the correct answer.

Let's say we get Snell and Odorizzi.  We will enter spring training with the following starters:  Snell, Bundy, Heaney, Odorizzi, Canning, Barria, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez.

That's 9 SPs.  Suarez and Sandoval should be optioned and stretched out as SPs, so that they are ready to go whenever someone is inevitably hurt.  That leaves 7 SPs.  Ohtani doesn't really count in that sense, since he's a hitter and will just start once a week.  

So what do you do with the other 6?  If everyone emerges from ST healthy (how likely is that, anyway?), then Barria can be shifted to the bullpen.  If someone is hurt?  Problem "solved," and Barria takes the place of the injured pitcher.

Doesn't seem like it'll be much of a problem, IMO.

The way I see it right now is:

1. Bundy

2. Heaney

3. Canning

4. Barria

5. Sandoval

Sandoval is the first to get bumped from the rotation if they sign a starter. Barria gets bumped to the bullpen if they sign 2 starters.

Ideally, they get 2 starters that slot above Bundy, Heaney, and Canning. Realistically, they get 1 starter that slots at the top of the rotation and 1 starter that slots behind either Heaney or Canning.

Also, I'd be cautious with Canning. Remember, there was a time this Spring when there was fear that he had a torn UCL. It's inevitable that someone gets hurt, so adding some depth starters should be a priority as well.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I think this is basically the correct answer.

Let's say we get Snell and Odorizzi.  We will enter spring training with the following starters:  Snell, Bundy, Heaney, Odorizzi, Canning, Barria, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez.

That's 9 SPs.  Suarez and Sandoval should be optioned and stretched out as SPs, so that they are ready to go whenever someone is inevitably hurt.  That leaves 7 SPs.  Ohtani doesn't really count in that sense, since he's a hitter and will just start once a week.  

So what do you do with the other 6?  If everyone emerges from ST healthy (how likely is that, anyway?), then Barria can be shifted to the bullpen.  If someone is hurt?  Problem "solved," and Barria takes the place of the injured pitcher.

Doesn't seem like it'll be much of a problem, IMO.

Doubtful they go straight 6. That would drastically lessen the number of starts from the top end guys. There are only 6 weeks where they play everyday, which would give and extra start to your top guys. 

I’ve heard Bauer say he wants to go every four days, but I don’t think that’s feasible. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Doubtful they go straight 6. That would drastically lessen the number of starts from the top end guys. There are only 6 weeks where they play everyday, which would give and extra start to your top guys. 

I’ve heard Bauer say he wants to go every four days, but I don’t think that’s feasible. 

For years teams had 4 man rotation. I think Bauer could do it. Sign him for 1 year deal pitch him until his arm falls off

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

What would a trade for Musgrave look like?  Could you get him for a package that includes Barria and Jackson?  

They probably ask for Adell, but unless prices are super inflated, I doubt that holds. If MLB Trade Values is to be believed, you could get him straight up for Marsh. I suspect more would have to be added. Probably not a ton, but at least one more piece of decent value. Maybe a Barria, or Sandoval, or a SP prospect. 

I think if it's the right guy, you could maybe get away with one SP, but you're better off playing it safe with a second, even if it's someone low end. 

Bundy, Heaney, SP acquisition, Canning - makes four. Assuming Ohtani pitches, he's almost certainly the sixth guy. That leaves room for one more. You could use Barria or Sandoval or Pena in that spot if money is tight, but ideally they're depth. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I think if it's the right guy, you could maybe get away with one SP, but you're better off playing it safe with a second, even if it's someone low end. 

Bundy, Heaney, SP acquisition, Canning - makes four. Assuming Ohtani pitches, he's almost certainly the sixth guy. That leaves room for one more. You could use Barria or Sandoval or Pena in that spot if money is tight, but ideally they're depth. 

Barria doesn’t have options so he can’t be minor league depth.

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I didn't say minor league depth and wasn't referring to minor league depth. I'm assuming he'll have to function as long relief or be traded. 

Yeah I don’t think he’ll translate to the pen. He needs regular starts. Most have him In the pen, but I don’t see it working. Suarez I can see in the pen, Sandoval Too, just not Barria.

24 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah I don’t think he’ll translate to the pen. He needs regular starts. Most have him In the pen, but I don’t see it working. Suarez I can see in the pen, Sandoval Too, just not Barria.

Certainly possible. But a lot of guys - including some pretty decent pitchers - went through that period where they had to pitch out of the pen to get their chance at the majors as a full time player and injury relief. I'm just skeptical he sticks around with any team long term if he can't or won't pitch out of the pen. As I said, I could be wrong. 

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

Yeah - that's why I said if all 6 are healthy, that Barria would go to the pen, thus yielding 5.  Ohtani will pitch on Sundays, so it'll be sorta 5.5 given his set-up.

But again, the odds of every pitcher being healthy at the end of spring training seems low, so I think this is just one of those problems that sorts themselves out on its own.

None, its inevitable that people miss time.  Not making the top 5 doesnt mean your not in "the rotation" in the modern MLB.  Most rotations need to be 6-8 deep or in our case 57. 

Added, for me whether or not we need two, depends on other moves made.  I would be happy with a lock down pen, the right offensive adds, and one front line guy such as Bauer.   The idea of one or two isnt in a vacuum in that regard. 

IDK, i think worrying about starts is foolish.  Even if everyone miraculously is healthy for the Angels on the rotation, there will still be the issue of Ohtani.  Personally, anything he provides in 2021 SP wise is gravy.  I'm not relying upon him for any time...let alone major innings.  In the best case scenario (healthy + producing top results), he's likely going to be limited on his innings.  Not sure how much but i can't imagine anything more 125-150 (on the high end).  Especially if we make the playoffs and you want to save him for such. Might be 100 at most.