• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Major League Baseball in 2021

Inside Pitch

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

If you are going to shorten the season you don’t do it by having them play one series a week.   You shorten it by shortening the length of the season. 

It’s an easy fix play 4 games once a week be safe easy peasy I don’t know why that would be a bad idea? Just because you don’t get baseball every day? If your complaining well football only plays once a week. That’s an easy and simple solution. 

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The big difference is the NFL derives a far higher percentage of its revenue from television than MLB does.

Correct. Nationally baseball isn’t very relevant. Locally they’re a big draw. But most of these teams have big tv contracts or will have big tv contracts. 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

It’s an easy fix play 4 games once a week be safe easy peasy I don’t know why that would be a bad idea? Just because you don’t get baseball every day? If your complaining well football only plays once a week. That’s an easy and simple solution. 

Because it completely changes the make up of a season and of a roster.  It is more of a real season to play 60 games the way they did in 2020 than to play 4 games a week for 25 weeks which gives you 100 games.  You would only need 4 starting pitchers, you could use the bullpen completely different.  You can probably get away with more roster manipulation, since right now a player has to be down for 10 days before he is called up, so some pitcher can start on Monday and be sent down and make a start late the following week.  It just wouldn’t be real baseball.  

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because it completely changes the make up of a season and of a roster.  It is more of a real season to play 60 games the way they did in 2020 than to play 4 games a week for 25 weeks which gives you 100 games.  You would only need 4 starting pitchers, you could use the bullpen completely different.  You can probably get away with more roster manipulation, since right now a player has to be down for 10 days before he is called up, so some pitcher can start on Monday and be sent down and make a start late the following week.  It just wouldn’t be real baseball.  

What’s bad about that? Changes everything. I think it would make it even better. The better people playing more games. Being fresher etc. I think that would be an awesome new way baseball could go. Hell if 4 games is your bother what about 5 games with one team 25 weeks. Would and could make things that much more interesting. You play each pitcher in the rotation than two days off and start again. Could be cool. 100 games is better than 60 and better than 162 in my opinion. Unless they are shooting hoops in between innings for runs or something like that it’s still baseball so I don’t know how it wouldn’t be considered in your opinion “real” baseball. Is the NL or AL more real baseball or less? Is a 7 inning double header real baseball? 

21 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

What’s bad about that? Changes everything. I think it would make it even better. The better people playing more games. Being fresher etc. I think that would be an awesome new way baseball could go. Hell if 4 games is your bother what about 5 games with one team 25 weeks. Would and could make things that much more interesting. You play each pitcher in the rotation than two days off and start again. Could be cool. 100 games is better than 60 and better than 162 in my opinion. Unless they are shooting hoops in between innings for runs or something like that it’s still baseball so I don’t know how it wouldn’t be considered in your opinion “real” baseball. Is the NL or AL more real baseball or less? Is a 7 inning double header real baseball? 

Well I never said not real baseball, I said it would be less of a real season than last year.  The beauty of a baseball season is it is a grind, it is a marathon.  I didn’t mind the uniqueness of last year, but I certainly wouldn’t want some 4-5 game a week nonsense.  I mean, why stop with 4-5 games a week?  We could just play once a week, only give them a 12 man roster and they could just play on Friday nights.  That way we don’t really have to worry about who our 2nd or 3rd starters are.  We wouldn’t have to worry Albert because the most he could play is once a week.  We might even be able to see if we could cut it back to 5 inning games once a week.  You want less games in a season, that is fine, just do it during less weeks.  Hell I would be completely fine if they did something similar to the Japanese League where they take every Monday off.  

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well I never said not real baseball, I said it would be less of a real season than last year.  The beauty of a baseball season is it is a grind, it is a marathon.  I didn’t mind the uniqueness of last year, but I certainly wouldn’t want some 4-5 game a week nonsense.  I mean, why stop with 4-5 games a week?  We could just play once a week, only give them a 12 man roster and they could just play on Friday nights.  That way we don’t really have to worry about who our 2nd or 3rd starters are.  We wouldn’t have to worry Albert because the most he could play is once a week.  We might even be able to see if we could cut it back to 5 inning games once a week.  You want less games in a season, that is fine, just do it during less weeks.  Hell I would be completely fine if they did something similar to the Japanese League where they take every Monday off.  

You literally said “it wouldn’t be real baseball” but now your just being overly dramatic 1 game a week. 4 games a week or 5 is a good compromise and they usually play 6

Fewer games played over the same time frame as normal doesn't solve the issue that the owners have.  For them it's about butts in chairs.  That would actually make it worse unless the players agree to get paid less money which they won't.  

For the owners, it's all about setting up the timing so there is an opportunity to pack the stadiums during the regular season and spring training facilities during feb/mar.  

The players just want to start getting paid as soon as possible.  

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Fewer games played over the same time frame as normal doesn't solve the issue that the owners have.  For them it's about butts in chairs.  That would actually make it worse unless the players agree to get paid less money which they won't.  

For the owners, it's all about setting up the timing so there is an opportunity to pack the stadiums during the regular season and spring training facilities during feb/mar.  

The players just want to start getting paid as soon as possible.  

Agreed at the end of the day it all comes down to money. Players don’t want another cut in their salary and neither do the owners. 

I am failing to see what the problem is here. Have fans in the stadium like football is doing and gradually increase the amount. Have temperature checks at the gates before coming in. Most stadiums are outside so plenty of air flow which makes getting covid far far far far less likely. The vaccine should be available to many by April. Plan for the normal 162 games schedule. React if things go downhill again(I highly doubt that)

• 3 weeks later...

Going to Spring Training has always been one of my favorite things in life. It’s been a few years since we’ve gone and I’ve missed it a lot. 

I sort of took it for granted. It’s just a great experience and some of my best baseball memories are from ST. Interacting with players really has a way of elevating one’s fandom and ST provides you with that opportunity.

It also signals the end of winter and the months of missing baseball. It’s a time of optimism and a time to look forward to warm summer nights and the belief that on any given day, you might see something amazing.

We need baseball to return with fans in the stands (when it’s safe) and I hope that’s sooner rather than later.

Edited by T.G.

• 3 weeks later...

If states are opening back up, which it now seems they are (ill save the political commentary and stay on point) then there is no reason baseball should not.
I could see maybe limited seating at first and probably a spectator less spring training, but if they are removing all stay home orders and re-opening what left of the  restaurant industry then there is little reason for baseball not to do the same.

Some teams in Florida are selling tickets.

This is strange considering the Coyotes have had fans...  but its different. People will travel from many other places for spring training.  

MLB isn't going to delay the season.

Arizona's case numbers are declining. Like everywhere else. It was a request... not a demand.