• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Major League Baseball in 2021

Inside Pitch

mlb-logo-covid-19-coronavirus.jpg

It's getting close to being the middle of December, MLB seems to have resolved their plans at the MiLB level but they still haven't ironed it anything regarding expanded playoffs, people at games, universal DH, roster sizes ... Just a lot of stuff they really can't resolve because it's out of their control..

So, with that uncertainty in mind..  Are you guys expecting a full 162 game season?  At this point my guess is they are assuming the end of 2021 will possibly allow for fans to be back at games, particularly if the vaccine takes and they start turning the corner with Covid...   My guess is we may see a shorter season, possible one that starts later and another year of tournament style baseball at neutral sites where the weather is more forgiving.

But does anyone really expect MLB to start on time and in front of fans?  Do you think they may ask for proof of vaccinations to be able to attend games...   Its likely going to be different state to state, so that too may make for some volatility within MLB.

Personally, wasn't a fan of the neutral park stuff -- I get why they did it and to be honest it got to where I didn't really notice the lack of fans, but unless it's due to weather, I really do think I'd prefer to see teams who earned a playoff spot get to play in their own parks and the sort..

I'm fairly doubtful that fans will be back at the games in full force. Even if they allow it.  Which I don't think will happen right away so my guess is that there will be another battle between the owners and players about what else.  Money.  I think that's why everything is being left undecided at this point because they holding it all back as potential bargaining chips.  

I think they'll ultimately play a full season but not in front of fans the whole time.  I bet we keep the universal DH and expanded playoffs.  

My feeling is the season will be delayed until mid-May or so.  It'll be a shorter season, perhaps around 120-130 games.  Fans will eventually be allowed back at parks, but only at reduced capacities - say, 25% or so.

Expanded playoffs will be back, but not as we saw last year - perhaps 6 teams per league, with the top 2 getting a "bye."

The universal DH will be added.

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think we probably won’t see fans in stadiums across the league until the summer, perhaps as late as the all star game.  I’m pretty sure they’ll have the full season.  It sounds like universal DH won’t come quite yet.  That’s too bad.  

Fans are in stadiums right now. I think we will see fans in stadiums in certain states early in the season.  Even spring training if that returns to AZ and FL.  Florida will definitely have fans.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

My feeling is the season will be delayed until mid-May or so.  It'll be a shorter season, perhaps around 120-130 games.  Fans will eventually be allowed back at parks, but only at reduced capacities - say, 25% or so.

Expanded playoffs will be back, but not as we saw last year - perhaps 6 teams per league, with the top 2 getting a "bye."

The universal DH will be added.

The owners are definitely going to push for that if they can't have fans early on.  They're not gonna want to start paying players if they aren't generating revenue.  

I think it'll be very touch and go. A lot is going to depend on what the situation is week by week going through the winter, how accurate the projections turn out to be (which will give us an idea of how accurate projections for Spring/Summer are), and how progress goes with the vaccines and so forth.

In a vacuum I would tentatively expect a full season or close to it, with fans likely in some parks at some point, though probably never 100% even by the playoffs. Vaccination cards for entry are definitely possible. I wouldn't bet against it. 

I used to be optimistic about the whole thing. I no longer am. If left to our own choices baseball fans will go back to games sit in stands and enjoy baseball again by the thousands. It would probably be the highest attendance we’ve ever seen by a year. But the governments that control said things won’t let it happen. So I think it’ll be more games than last year but much less than 162 I’d say it’ll probably be closer to 100 or so with no fans. California teams may have to play in another state as will some other states teams like New York etc. 

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

The owners are definitely going to push for that if they can't have fans early on.  They're not gonna want to start paying players if they aren't generating revenue.  

I agree, and it's why I think we'll see a shortened season.  I think by mid-May or so, with a good chunk of the population hopefully immunized by then, they'll start to open things up more.

I'll veer away from politics over here, but just health-wise speaking, I think there'll be a very cautious approach when it comes to allowing "mass gatherings," so to speak.  I don't think we'll see full stadiums at all in 2021.

The NFL is playing a full season, and an NFL roster is double that of an MLB roster. As far as I'm aware, there haven't been any significant outbreaks in the NFL.

I agree with @Bronson that there's zero reason to not play 162 games. The only reason is cheap owners not wanting to pay their players for a full season without a full season of revenue. 

Fans won't be allowed back in full force at all in 2021, even with a vaccine. Period. There's going to be plenty of muddy waters regarding the mandates from different states, though. Without getting political, one state may be allowing 50% capacity by say, June, while another isn't allowing any fans at any capacity. You can see where this is going.

It's not going to be a good year, but the owners need to fuck off and just pay the players their full salaries. Otherwise there's absolutely 100% going to be a lockout in 2022, regardless of Covid.

15 hours ago, Bronson said:

There is no reason why they can’t play a full season. Unless a huge second outbreak happens. 

Just keep fans out of games for a couple of months and see where things go from there.

I see zero reason to why there shouldn’t be a full 162 game season.

uhh

On 12/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, ScottT said:

Of course. CA will be last. 

I'm losing hope that I'll be able to keep my streak of attending spring training.  Just barely got there this year

Yeah at least we both got in some ST games this year. It was great seeing you and @James in March. 

In terms of California, Washington is right there with you @ScottT. Our Governors suck ass! 

17 hours ago, Bronson said:

There is no reason why they can’t play a full season. Unless a huge second outbreak happens. 

Just keep fans out of games for a couple of months and see where things go from there.

I see zero reason to why there shouldn’t be a full 162 game season.

The NFL is still going in December when cases are at their height. I see no reason MLB will have serious issues.