• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on McCann?

Mark68

I read this board multiple times a day and rarely post.  That said, I haven't seen any mention of the first thing that crossed my mind and am wondering if anyone else has consider it.  

I see the Mets and Dogs as the primary competition for Bauer.  The Mets want a catcher and have been linked to McCann and, to a lesser degree, Realmuto.  They are also heavily linked to Springer.  It's likely they won't go so far as adding Springer, Realmuto, and Bauer.  Is it possible that Perry is attempting to drive McCann's price up and/or forcing the Mets hand to prevent them from acquiring Bauer?  A higher priced McCann and Springer might make it difficult to squeeze Bauer in.  

I would honestly be a little disappointed if we allocated 10M for 3 years to an over-30 catcher, regardless of the value our GM places on the position.  

43 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I would honestly be a little disappointed if we allocated 10M for 3 years to an over-30 catcher, regardless of the value our GM places on the position.  

You aren’t alone there!

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

McCann 2019-20: 149 games, .276/.334/.474, 3.8 WAR, 116 wRC+

He's the type of guy that could easily get overpaid. I like him and obviously he'd improve the team, but would probably stop at either 2/$18M or 3/$24M.  No way I'd give 4/$40M.

i agree with this.  

I have to wonder the legitimacy of the rumors to be honest.  The Angels operate in stealth mode to the extreme.  No rumors of either Iglesias trade until it actually happened.  Minasian was "rumored" to be a candidate for the GM job on a Wednesday, and we know now in retrospect that he was actually hired the day before, which goes to show you how tight-lipped the FO is in general.

When we were rumored to be "in the mix" for McCann, and it wasn't immediately followed by an announcement that we had signed him, I sorta feel like it was rumors from McCann's camp, in an attempt to get the Mets to add a 4th year and secure his services.

It would be easy for McCann's camp to do that, since Minasian has very aggressively re-iterated his desire for catching, and most know Arte will spend on free agency.  

28 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

When we were rumored to be "in the mix" for McCann, and it wasn't immediately followed by an announcement that we had signed him, I sorta feel like it was rumors from McCann's camp, in an attempt to get the Mets to add a 4th year and secure his services.

Rosenthal said the Mets were already in for a fourth year back when it was supposedly imminent and the Angels hadn't had interest announced. 

5 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am ok not overpaying for McCann.  I think I am ok with overpaying Bauer, maybe.

Bauer is the one pitcher/player that I would be completely fine seeing them overpay for. 

Bauer prides himself on out working everyone and constantly getting better. These are the type of guys you overpay for not the type Arte has overpaid in the past. 

Work ethic. Competitiveness. Self-drive. These are things that most guys that have long successful careers tend to have. Bauer has them all

56 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

27 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Rosenthal said the Mets were already in for a fourth year back when it was supposedly imminent and the Angels hadn't had interest announced. 

Just found it. 

Angels' interest wasn't announced till after this (Wednesday morning). Fourth year was already there at that point per Rosenthal. The Angels were reported to still be in a day or three after that.