• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in on McCann?

Mark68

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/free-agent-notes-mccann-angels-yankees-lester-castro.html

It appeared earlier Wednesday that catcher James McCann would join the Mets, though an agreement hasn’t materialized yet, and they’re not the only team chasing him at the moment. Robert Murray of FanSided tweets that the Angels are still in contention for McCann, a California native who would seemingly provide an upgrade over their current backstops, Max Stassi and Anthony Bemboom. McCann was just a backup with the White Sox last season, but he logged terrific offensive numbers then and was impressive as a starter in 2019. It could take a four-year deal to land him this winter.

5 minutes ago, failos said:

Can he pitch?

I get it.  The Angels need pitching, badly.  However, Minasian's pedigree suggests that he knows what he is doing and has a plan.  We saw Eppler's plans and they did not result in much of a change on the field..  At this point, if Minasian thinks McCann gets the Angels to the playoffs, along with the other moves, than I am all for it.  I think we sometimes miss the big picture when players are acquired in an unexpected order.  I too want pitching.....good pitching and not just warm bodies like have been previously used.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

I get it.  The Angels need pitching, badly.  However, Minasian's pedigree suggests that he knows what he is doing and has a plan.  We saw Eppler's plans and they did not result in much of a change on the field..  At this point, if Minasian thinks McCann gets the Angels to the playoffs, along with the other moves, than I am all for it.  I think we sometimes miss the big picture when players are acquired in an unexpected order.  I too want pitching.....good pitching and not just warm bodies like have been previously used.

But, pitching

Just now, failos said:

But, pitching

Honestly, if the Angels can improve the performance of the existing roster, the team will make the playoffs.  We all know that catchers make a difference.  Catchers like Bengie Molina and Bob Boone made every pitcher better and if McCann is that guy, than he is a must have addition to improve pitching.  It is a bit more complex than just demanding better pitching, sometimes the talent is there but untapped.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

Honestly, if the Angels can improve the performance of the existing roster, the team will make the playoffs.  We all know that catchers make a difference.  Catchers like Bengie Molina and Bob Boone made every pitcher better and if McCann is that guy, than he is a must have addition to improve pitching.  It is a bit more complex than just demanding better pitching, sometimes the talent is there but untapped.

Agreed, he would improve the existing staff. I’d personally be thrilled if the Halos signed McCann. There’s no way they’d stop with him, though. Minasian knows we need pitching.

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

pitchers seem to like having a catcher they really trust. if mccann has that kind of reputation, it could be helpful in luring some pitchers to anaheim.

Giolito credited McCann as being the reason he threw a no-hitter. He's certainly no slouch behind the plate. And he can hit. Improving pitching isn't just about getting better pitchers, it's also about getting the right catcher.

If this doesn't preclude us getting the pitching we need, I'm in favor of it. If this blows our budget, I'm more skeptical this is the move we need.

41 minutes ago, eligrba said:

IF halos get McCann writing on the wall, it's time to trade Adell, Marsh or any prospect to getting pitching. Trout not getting younger money has been spent. Adell and 1 to 2 years away maybe longer to be a big help. If you want to win the time is now.

17 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Giolito credited McCann as being the reason he threw a no-hitter. He's certainly no slouch behind the plate. And he can hit. Improving pitching isn't just about getting better pitchers, it's also about getting the right catcher.

If this doesn't preclude us getting the pitching we need, I'm in favor of it. If this blows our budget, I'm more skeptical this is the move we need.

I'm sure Minasian won't neglect pitching.  A key thing to remember is that catchers impact every pitch of the game.  I suspect Minasian will emphasize catching more than most FOs given his pedigree.  

If we sign McCann, it means that Minasian is a huge believer in how he can impact our pitching staff and "run prevention."  I do not think he will sign McCann and ignore our pitching.  He will address it for sure.

22 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

IF halos get McCann writing on the wall, it's time to trade Adell, Marsh or any prospect to getting pitching. Trout not getting younger money has been spent. Adell and 1 to 2 years away maybe longer to be a big help. If you want to win the time is now.

Not necessarily. If the Angels sign McCann, it means that Minasian has time to draft and develop the next Angel catcher instead of a revolving door like has been happening. I see this move serving an organization and philosophical need.

Alright, if Arte is willing to blow past the luxury tax and spend this offseason, then sure - give me McCann + Bauer.  McCann + Stassi will make a great catching tandem, and Bauer obviously is a huge addition.

Fill the other areas rather cheaply - platoon LHH OF, some one-year reliever gambles to help fill out the core this year.  Go over the LT for one year, then dip back below the year thereafter once Pujols' contract expires.