• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Assuming we have ~30mil left to spend now, what would you do next?

Warfarin

Arte has said that he goes by payroll, not by luxury tax.  He has also said that the payroll "is not going down."  Last year, we were projected to pay 185mil on player payroll before the pandemic shortened the season.

Per Cot's contracts, we have roughly 160mil of commitments now, after adding Iglesias x2.  This includes projected arbitration figures.  Assuming we end up with a budget of ~190mil, we have 30mil left to spend.

With our SS and closer now in hand, what remaining moves would you make with the remaining 30mil?

Sign Sugano, sign Archie Bradley, sign Pillar, and sign Molina.

With Iglesias and Mayers, don’t need Hand now.

Barria and Ohtani can share the 5th starter spot behind Bundy, Heaney, Sugano, and Canning, until Detmers is ready.

Pillar and Ward share RF (120 starts for Pillar)?

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, oldguy said:

Buyout Pujols last year.

Hmm, that's a creative suggestion.  So how does this conversation go?

Arte: Albert, you know 2021 is the last year of your contract, and there's $30 million left this year.

Albert: Si.

Arte: I can offer you an extra $30m on top of that...

Albert: AY DIOS!  PORQUE!!!

Arte: ...on the condition that you don't get to play at all this year.

If it's accurate that the Angels are pursuing Bauer, I don't see how there isn't 30m (at least) available. Even paying league minimum on relievers, you still need at minimum another catcher, I'm assuming. And Bauer isn't going for less than 25 aav, which is probably an optimistic guesstimate. Grant that any hypothetical contract with him is backloaded, I still don't see those numbers working any way at this point in time that allow for filling the roster at less than 30.

22 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Hmm, that's a creative suggestion.  So how does this conversation go?

Arte: Albert, you know 2021 is the last year of your contract, and there's $30 million left this year.

Albert: Si.

Arte: I can offer you an extra $30m on top of that...

Albert: AY DIOS!  PORQUE!!!

Arte: ...on the condition that you don't get to play at all this year.

Worth it!!!

• Sign Ryan Tepera and Matt Wisler for the pen ($3m each)
  • Sign Curt Casali for catcher ($4m)
  • Sign Eddie Rosario for RF ($11m)
  • Trade for Barria/Sandoval, Rengifo, Thaiss, and one of the young OF/SS for Joe Musgrove and Richard Rodriguez ($5m)
  • Trade Jo and Griff for Marquez ($8m)

Adds around $35m.

Rotation: Marquz, Bundy, Musgrove, Heaney, Barria/Sandoval, Ohtani
Bullpen: Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Pena, Tepera, Wisler, Rodriguez
Lineup: Fletcher, Walsh, Trout, Rendon, DH, Upton, Rosario, Casali, Iglesias

Honestly though I have this feeling we’re going to sign Bauer - and pull of a big trade for another cheaper arm. Then sign a cheap RP or two, C, and RF. I think they’ll go all out this year and while that’s some money spent, it’s only Bauer that comes on a big deal.

Edited by totdprods

14 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

If it's accurate that the Angels are pursuing Bauer, I don't see how there isn't 30m (at least) available. Even paying league minimum on relievers, you still need at minimum another catcher, I'm assuming. And Bauer isn't going for less than 25 aav, which is probably an optimistic guesstimate. Grant that any hypothetical contract with him is backloaded, I still don't see those numbers working any way at this point in time that allow for filling the roster at less than 30.

Well Arte was quoted awhile back saying he'd go over the luxury tax threshold for the right player. Well maybe now is the time to go over that threshold for 1 year. Time to get back to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:
  • Sign Ryan Tepera and Matt Wisler for the pen ($3m each)
  • Sign Curt Casali for catcher ($4m)
  • Sign Eddie Rosario for RF ($11m)
  • Trade for Barria/Sandoval, Rengifo, Thaiss, and one of the young OF/SS for Joe Musgrove and Richard Rodriguez ($5m)
  • Trade Jo and Griff for Marquez ($8m)

Adds around $35m.

Rotation: Marquz, Bundy, Musgrove, Heaney, Barria/Sandoval, Ohtani
Bullpen: Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey, Pena, Tepera, Wisler, Rodriguez
Lineup: Fletcher, Walsh, Trout, Rendon, DH, Upton, Rosario, Casali, Iglesias

Honestly though I have this feeling we’re going to sign Bauer - and pull of a big trade for another cheaper arm. Then sign a cheap RP or two, C, and RF. I think they’ll go all out this year and while that’s some money spent, it’s only Bauer that comes on a big deal.

I agree on the gut feeling. We can safely say that the Angels have a chance to win the AL West this year with the right pieces and how the other teams look. 

If payroll isn't going down then I wonder if it will go up (considering the closer we just got). 
Bauer is a gut feeling for me, but I feel like Minasian might deal Marsh or Adell for another good arm which, as you said, likely won't hurt too much on payroll. 

Bauer's contract can be backloaded a year since the money dumping off in 2022 and 2023. 

These next few days will be fun.

I think it's also worth noting what Perry has so far with us and what he/braves have done.

Like many have mentioned, they built a BP in 2 years.

I think we also need to consider something else, most of there talent, especially the pitching has been over grown, and we've rarely seen them trade for a high End starter. Last year, many believed that they were/had the chance to  the front runners for Clevenger, but they didn't make the move.

Perry has also be keen on run prevention, but he's also has mentioned/talked about home grown talent.  So i expect, that unless a specific player is invovled, i don't expect him to trade and of our top prospects that are close to the Mlb( Marhs, Detmers, C-Rod..etc)

49 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think we also need to consider something else, most of there talent, especially the pitching has been over grown, and we've rarely seen them trade for a high End starter. Last year, many believed that they were/had the chance to  the front runners for Clevenger, but they didn't make the move.

Considering the Angels' lack of pitching depth, I'd be surprised if they ignore that problem. 

Can we ever discuss signing a free agent without people jamming the suggestion of a backloaded deal into the conversation?

1). Look, most free agent signing are “backloaded” by the length of the contract.

2). Backloaded does nothing to help manage the luxury tax because they go by AAV.

3). Arte doesn’t have a money problem.  He simply budgets.  Backloading doesn’t really help you stay on a budget when it simply creates inefficiency later.

Maybe Bauer gets a backloaded deal I guess.  But I would bet there is a 99% chance he simply gets a normal contract.