• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Raisel Iglesias and $900K from the Reds for Noe Ramirez and Leo Rivas

mmc

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

The PTBNL is either a Rule 5 eligible prospect, who the Reds are waiting to see not get picked up, or is a player just recently drafted, though if I'm not mistaken, I think that rule has since changed. 

So the Rule 5 eligible prospects with worthwhile value would be Jose Soriano, Packy Naughton, Orlando Martinez, Robinson Pina, Oliver Ortega and Kevin Maitan, Logan Soto too.

If I had to guess, I'd say that because they already dealt Naughton, and 4th OF are a dime a dozen, as are middle infielders, this narrows the PTBNL down to Soriano, Pina, Ortega and Maitan. 

Losing any one of them will sting to be sure, but would still make this a trade that benefits the Angels by almost any measurement. 

The most likely prospect is Jose Soriano. The Reds don't want him on the 40 man yet because they need the space and because Soriano still needs to recover, but if he slips through the draft, that's a very high octane, high upside arm. Before his injury earlier this year, there was a solid debate over who the best pitching prospect in the organization is, between Chris Rodriguez and Jose Soriano. Since then, Rod has shined and Jose needed surgery. But there's still some mid rotation starter upside left in Jose, or high end reliever, looked Iglesias himself.

Its quite possible the PTBN is a guy eligible for the rule 5 draft and they are waiting to see if he will be taken or to see if the Reds take someone worthy of a roster spot before making it official

The Reds are probably still in shock about their humiliation against the Braves. When stuff like that happens a front office start panicking and doubting their plans. Leading to changes in their roster. Of course money is a factor too, but if they thought they were a serious contender they would have found a way to keep their proven and still effective closer.

On the other side, I would guess Arte told Minasian that winning now is a priority. After a decade of two GMs who couldn't produce a consistent winner you would think patience is getting thin. At Arte's age he probably wants to celebrate big time success while he has his health and passion.

I doubt we'll see trades for untested youth requiring years of development. Unless a lopsided opportunity presents itself. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=1

Interestingly, the trade for Iglesias pushed us up a decent amount on Fangraphs' Depth Chart projections.  We are now projected as the 5th best team in baseball in terms of fWAR (4th in AL).  Go figure, eh?

Of note, our bullpen is ranked #10 of 30 teams, which is rather remarkable, considering we just purged more than half of them.

20 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=ALL&teamid=1

Interestingly, the trade for Iglesias pushed us up a decent amount on Fangraphs' Depth Chart projections.  We are now projected as the 5th best team in baseball in terms of fWAR (4th in AL).  Go figure, eh?

Of note, our bullpen is ranked #10 of 30 teams, which is rather remarkable, considering we just purged more than half of them.

I wouldn't put too much stock in these rankings at this point, as they obviously don't account for free agents that have been lost/might be gained.

Edited by jsnpritchett

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in these rankings at this point, as they obviously don't account for free agents that have been lost/might be gained.

Well, those rankings count moves up to this point, so it factors in both Igesias's acquisitions.  But yeah, I know - a lot of moves are still to be made by other teams, so those rankings will change a lot.

Still, it's fun to see that we actually look pretty decent on paper right now, and we are likely to add a significant SP, which should help us further.

33 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I keep forgetting we traded for Gerardo Reyes last season in the Jason Castro deal. He is also an interesting name to add to Iglesias, Mayers, Buttrey and Pena.

He's got great stuff.  I would expect him to pitch for us a good amount this year, as an optionable arm that will go back and forth between the MLB and AAA.

We just need to keep amassing relievers with good stuff but also offer different looks from one another.

Late to the thread, but i'd like to see what the final players/cash being moved will be. If it's listed as Noe and PTBN then I doubt it's a big prospect. Also, the cash is important. If the Angels take 90% of it then I feel like Arte is going to be willing to spend this year. Maybe he feels that by all the saving he's done over the years puts him at an advantage for this weird money cutting offseason for other teams. 

13 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Late to the thread, but i'd like to see what the final players/cash being moved will be. If it's listed as Noe and PTBN then I doubt it's a big prospect. Also, the cash is important. If the Angels take 90% of it then I feel like Arte is going to be willing to spend this year. Maybe he feels that by all the saving he's done over the years puts him at an advantage for this weird money cutting offseason for other teams. 

I would think that the ptbnl has to be something of at least mild value or future interest to the reds as it would be hard for me to believe that other teams wouldn't take on 6 or 7 mil to get a solid closer.  

if truly a pure salary dump then there is going to be a ton of bullpen bargains to come.