• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Raisel Iglesias and $900K from the Reds for Noe Ramirez and Leo Rivas

mmc

The PTBNL is either a Rule 5 eligible prospect, who the Reds are waiting to see not get picked up, or is a player just recently drafted, though if I'm not mistaken, I think that rule has since changed. 

So the Rule 5 eligible prospects with worthwhile value would be Jose Soriano, Packy Naughton, Orlando Martinez, Robinson Pina, Oliver Ortega and Kevin Maitan, Logan Soto too.

If I had to guess, I'd say that because they already dealt Naughton, and 4th OF are a dime a dozen, as are middle infielders, this narrows the PTBNL down to Soriano, Pina, Ortega and Maitan. 

Losing any one of them will sting to be sure, but would still make this a trade that benefits the Angels by almost any measurement. 

The most likely prospect is Jose Soriano. The Reds don't want him on the 40 man yet because they need the space and because Soriano still needs to recover, but if he slips through the draft, that's a very high octane, high upside arm. Before his injury earlier this year, there was a solid debate over who the best pitching prospect in the organization is, between Chris Rodriguez and Jose Soriano. Since then, Rod has shined and Jose needed surgery. But there's still some mid rotation starter upside left in Jose, or high end reliever, looked Iglesias himself.

Edited by Second Base

45 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Reds fans are still very much in the moment ..  https://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2020_NLWC4.shtml

That was a brutal game for him.   Plus, if getting rid of Iglesias allows them to keep Gray, that's an easy choice to make if I were a Reds fan.

True on Gray

To be fair though, Iglesias dominated the Braves in 1.1 innings the day before (4 Ks and 1 base runner) although throwing 26 pitches.  

Fatigue in game 2 maybe?

21 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

Basing your opinion of the trade off other fans opinions is laughable. It’s not that hard to do your homework on the guy. Go to fangraphs, watch highlights, etc 

Who is basing their opinion of Iglesias based on Reds fans opinions?

3 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Sorry to sound like a downer here.

Is Iglesias at approx 9 million but losing Noe and someone else really that much better than Hand at 10 million and keep Noe and PTBNL? 

Iglesias' velocity ticked up almost 1 mph last season (perhaps due to the shortened season) while Hand's went down by 1 mph. Probably wise to go with the former improvement rather than the latter alarm bell.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Iglesias' velocity ticked up almost 1 mph last season (perhaps due to the shortened season) while Hand's went down by 1 mph. Probably wise to go with the former improvement rather than the latter alarm bell.

Raisel's K percentage and BB rate both improved each of the last three seasons, fwiw. 

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

I see a lot of “sell the team Bob this ownership has no clue what they’re doing”

“Done being a Reds fan”

“Have we just given up on winning”

But there is a lot of fans happy with this trade also. Outsiders looking in (non reds fans) are saying we easily won the trade. 

So no clue what to go off on. All I know is he improves our god awful bullpen so I’m happy. 

We will not know until season plays out.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

The most likely prospect is Jose Soriano. The Reds don't want him on the 40 man yet because they need the space and because Soriano still needs to recover, but if he slips through the draft, that's a very high octane, high upside arm. Before his injury earlier this year, there was a solid debate over who the best pitching prospect in the organization is, between Chris Rodriguez and Jose Soriano. Since then, Rod has shined and Jose needed surgery. But there's still some mid rotation starter upside left in Jose, or high end reliever, looked Iglesias himself.

I agree, Soriano feels likely.

In one way, could look at it as Goodwin, Noe, and PTBNL/Soriano for Iglesias, Salvador, and Naughton. While neither Salvador or Naughton have Soriano’s ceiling, we still added a trio of arms for two guys who were essentially non-tenders and a fairly middle of the road pitching prospect. Not bad in big picture.

4 hours ago, Tony Two Bags said:

I'd bet Hand will get a multi-year deal. Who knows, maybe we still are in on Hand. It might also be worth gambling on Yates now that we have security in the pen.

I always been of the mentality that it's better to have a lockdown pen and mediocre starters than having an ace and mediocre pen.