• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zack Wheeler Available

Brandon

I think this is a huge development, based on what it might say about the finances of the game. If a team like the Phillies is trying to shed payroll, presumably they aren’t going to be players in the free agent market. And word is that the Yankees are trying to get under the tax threshold, and it appears the Cubs and Indians are also trying to cut.

If a team was willing to gamble that COVID is a one year obstacle, there could be tremendous opportunity to upgrade the team through free agency. 

35 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I think this is a huge development, based on what it might say about the finances of the game. If a team like the Phillies is trying to shed payroll, presumably they aren’t going to be players in the free agent market. And word is that the Yankees are trying to get under the tax threshold, and it appears the Cubs and Indians are also trying to cut.

If a team was willing to gamble that COVID is a one year obstacle, there could be tremendous opportunity to upgrade the team through free agency. 

This is why, in the end, as much as we want to see move *NOW* .. it would serve us best to just wait, wait, and wait.  Come February, there will be a lot of players who will be looking for work, and of course, when supply greatly outstrips demand, that is when bargains are found.

Guys like Bauer will still get paid, so if we are indeed in on him, go for it, but for most other aspects of the team (relief, corner OF, etc) - I would wait for awhile and see how the market looks in February.  It is unlikely we will see teams suddenly start spending significantly this offseason.

He was the pitcher I most wanted to see the Angels get last December. Not who I thought was the best pitcher, but the guy I thought would have been the best value. (Though, admittedly, I don't know what it would have taken for the Angels to sign him, as I seem to remember that he wanted to stay back east.) 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

We purchased our home when all the foreclosures were at the apex. There is no way we could afford our home today at market value.  I agree that whomever spends this offseason will have acquired talent on contracts which look favorable.  

If Philly is looking to shed payroll, would any of you be on board to trade for Harper, provided Philly pays 20% of the yearly contract? That puts Harper at a cost of @ $22 million a year for the first 8 and then $20 million for the last 3. Prospect haul would include Adell as the primary target but lesser value players because of how much contract is paid by the Angels. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If Philly is looking to shed payroll, would any of you be on board to trade for Harper, provided Philly pays 20% of the yearly contract? That puts Harper at a cost of @ $22 million a year for the first 8 and then $20 million for the last 3. Prospect haul would include Adell as the primary target but lesser value players because of how much contract is paid by the Angels. 

Yes, I would take all of their expensive contracts, because it isn’t my money, also they are all useful players.  Harper, Wheeler and McCutchen.