• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Any non tendered sleepers that could help halos over the cusp?

Angels 1961

I don't think "over the cusp" is a phrase, but..

Sure, I think there are non-tender players who could raise our floor as a team, which is ultimately the kinds of moves we should be doing too.

I can see us exploring the non-tender market to help find a reliever or two and perhaps a corner OF.  While it's possible a catcher like Casali could be brought in, I do think Minasian is shooting higher when it comes to finding a long-term catching solution for us.

None of the above will make a gigantic difference, but it help us improve our team by a 2-3 wins potentially, and in conjunction with bigger moves (signing Bauer, acquiring a significant catcher, etc), can indeed help make a difference.

As far as the non-tenders go, there's absolutely some value on the market. Where that value exists, shifts depending on who you talk to.

I believe there's some value in David Dahl. Signing him and bringing him to Spring Training to compete for the starting RF spot with Taylor Ward, Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh seems like it would be an excellent idea to me. I really like what I saw from Ward at the end of the season, but last year notwithstanding, I REALLY like what I've seen from Dahl when he's healthy. He can also play the other two OF spots making him a decent fit as a 4th OF if Dahl doesn't get the starting nod. He has the upside to develop into a perennial all-star, and gives the Angels the benefit of time to allow Adell and Marsh to develop in AAA. He may even make one of them expendable which could be crucial in acquiring an arm.

The second is Carlos Rodon. At his best, he was a lefty with clean mechanics, solid command with three "plus" pitches. Unfortunately for Rodon, seven going back to college, he's struggled with consistency and now you factor in injury with inconsistency and it's a headache. However, there's not reason to think he won't be healthy early on in 2020, and he could be stashed in the bullpen while Callaway works some of his magic to get him back to being a starting pitcher. I think it's possible, Rodon may have a car arc similar to CJ Wilson. Wilson struggled with injury and consistency until age 28, found success in the bullpen, returned to a starting role and took off from there. Angel fans were frustrated by him, but if the 5 year deal he signed with the Angels, he gave them three years as a legitimate #3 starter. It's entirely possible Rodon works out of the pen until everything clicks into place and then becomes an all-star. 

Obviously, they were non-tendered for a reason though. That's far from the likeliest outcome. But worth a shot.

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

As far as the non-tenders go, there's absolutely some value on the market. Where that value exists, shifts depending on who you talk to.

I believe there's some value in David Dahl. Signing him and bringing him to Spring Training to compete for the starting RF spot with Taylor Ward, Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh seems like it would be an excellent idea to me. I really like what I saw from Ward at the end of the season, but last year notwithstanding, I REALLY like what I've seen from Dahl when he's healthy. He can also play the other two OF spots making him a decent fit as a 4th OF if Dahl doesn't get the starting nod. He has the upside to develop into a perennial all-star, and gives the Angels the benefit of time to allow Adell and Marsh to develop in AAA. He may even make one of them expendable which could be crucial in acquiring an arm.

The second is Carlos Rodon. At his best, he was a lefty with clean mechanics, solid command with three "plus" pitches. Unfortunately for Rodon, seven going back to college, he's struggled with consistency and now you factor in injury with inconsistency and it's a headache. However, there's not reason to think he won't be healthy early on in 2020, and he could be stashed in the bullpen while Callaway works some of his magic to get him back to being a starting pitcher. I think it's possible, Rodon may have a car arc similar to CJ Wilson. Wilson struggled with injury and consistency until age 28, found success in the bullpen, returned to a starting role and took off from there. Angel fans were frustrated by him, but if the 5 year deal he signed with the Angels, he gave them three years as a legitimate #3 starter. It's entirely possible Rodon works out of the pen until everything clicks into place and then becomes an all-star. 

Obviously, they were non-tendered for a reason though. That's far from the likeliest outcome. But worth a shot.

These are definitely good options.

The non-tender guys can definitely be good, cheap options to help us secure a few more wins.  While I'd prefer Joc Pederson to David Dahl, Dahl will be cheaper, which will enable us to spend more on pitching, so I'm good with that.

If we sign Dahl at something like a 1/2-3 type deal, then have Schebler in AAA as immediate depth, we've suddenly dramatically increased our LHH OF depth.  Sure, none of them are studs, but they're definitely better options than we had last year, and that is what good teams do - they have multiple options and players who can come fill in serviceably in case of injuries.  One of our biggest issues in the past has been serviceable depth.