• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings start Monday

greginpsca

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I suspect, given the virtual nature of the meetings, we may not see a lot of traction this year in comparison to years past.  Also, given the uncertainty of when the season will actually start, etc etc .. I think the vast majority of signings and moves will be in January/February, as more clarity into the season is gained.

I agree though some groundwork for trades makes sense but wouldn’t that be happening anyway?  It has to be different, that’s for sure.

13 minutes ago, Revad said:

I agree though some groundwork for trades makes sense but wouldn’t that be happening anyway?  It has to be different, that’s for sure.

I'm curious as to further moves Minasian will make to expand his FO.  So far, we know he brought over Tamin to serve as assistant GM.  There's still another assistant GM spot available, as well as a whole host of other positions (scouting director, etc).  Those moves will be key decisions.  So even if the player personnel part is slow, I'm eager to see the moves he'll make to further expand the FO.

6 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'm curious as to further moves Minasian will make to expand his FO.  So far, we know he brought over Tamin to serve as assistant GM.  There's still another assistant GM spot available, as well as a whole host of other positions (scouting director, etc).  Those moves will be key decisions.  So even if the player personnel part is slow, I'm eager to see the moves he'll make to further expand the FO.

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well.

I don't even think the reported moves are official. The Angels have made no announcement, and I just checked the Braves website and Alex Tamin is still listed as their AGM.

Also, have the Angels confirmed if the entire coaching staff is returning? I haven't seen anything about that.

@Jeff Fletcher?

I think the Angels have done a very good job on the amateur side the last few years and I could see that staying intact with some tweaks.  Which is where Chiti and Williams come into play

My guess is that Tamin is more heavily involved with the major league roster and major league scouting.  

I'm sure they'll add another layers of those types of guys along with some additional bandwidth to the analytics department.  

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them add someone significant on the international scouting side of things.  

12 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I want Minasian to sign Bauer with a mask and face shield on and he makes a paper airplane out of the contract and tosses it to him from 6 feet.

This has nothing to do with Covid, it's just how he should sign Bauer.

Yeah, I'm thinking he will be using Docusign from his laptop at home while on zoom. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, Chuckster70 said:

So how does a virtual winters meetings work? When does the coverage start? 

Sorry i missed this. 

As you figured by now, there were actually no “virtual winter meetings.” It was just like any other week. Minasian was available when they did things, but otherwise not. Just like a normal week. 

The winter meetings as the media and fans perceived them have always been sort of fake anyway. The GMs are talking to each other and to agents every day in the winter, but for four days in December every year MLB throws everyone together in one building and says “you are going to talk publicly this week, whether anything happens or not.”

The only real purpose of the winter meetings is to have a few meetings affecting non baseball ops people (trainers, PR people, traveling secretaries) and a few meetings about rules. As for the trades and signings part, it’s all fake. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sorry i missed this. 

As you figured by now, there were actually no “virtual winter meetings.” It was just like any other week. Minasian was available when they did things, but otherwise not. Just like a normal week. 

The winter meetings as the media and fans perceived them have always been sort of fake anyway. The GMs are talking to each other and to agents every day in the winter, but for four days in December every year MLB throws everyone together in one building and says “you are going to talk publicly this week, whether anything happens or not.”

The only real purpose of the winter meetings is to have a few meetings affecting non baseball ops people (trainers, PR people, traveling secretaries) and a few meetings about rules. As for the trades and signings part, it’s all fake. 

Is Joe Maddon going to meet with the media either today or tomorrow? I know that the manager normally meets with the media at one point in the week during the Winter Meetings, and I've seen other managers throughout the league having Zoom calls with the media throughout this week.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sorry i missed this. 

Tony Reagins was right? 

No GIF

On 12/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, Trendon said:

Is Joe Maddon going to meet with the media either today or tomorrow? I know that the manager normally meets with the media at one point in the week during the Winter Meetings, and I've seen other managers throughout the league having Zoom calls with the media throughout this week.

He’ll be on Intentional Talk in 2 minutes 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:32 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sorry i missed this. 

you have taken more from us than you know.

i've got a 16 month old over here, would you like to stop by and tell her there's no santa?

angry kyle broflovski GIF by South Park