• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Jose Iglesias from the Orioles for Garrett Stallings and Jean Pinto

mmc

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I really like Simba and got used to him being our shortstop. I guess this will ultimately depend on the contract Simmons gets and what the Angels do next year at shortstop. Simmons is likely a Hall of Famer. Inglesias is not. Simmons also blows him away in bWar.

all a valid enough opinion, but the writing was on the wall when simmons got a little weird with the covid denying, then told his teammates to kick rocks the last week of the season when they were still not eliminated. keep in mind the astros lost the number of games the angels needed to take their playoff spot, but the angels didn't win their share. i'm not in any way upset with simmons over that decision, but it signaled the end of either party's interest in his coming back. i don't really look at this signing as choosing an option instead of simmons signing, simmons was already gone.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I presume this means that the Angels made Simmons some sort of offer and he declined?

That whole thing with Simmons opting out of the last week of the season was weird.

There haven't been any reports that they offered him a contract. It was a weird thing he did but I think most players get a pass this year given how covid 19 makes people react in different ways.

13 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

If he keeps playing well he should. Ozzie Smith is in the hall and Simmons has a higher bWar through the first 9 years of his career. I have no idea if he will keep playing as well as Smith did but he certainly is on his way.

Lol I promise you Simmons is not gonna get into the Hall of Fame. He will get some votes for sure but he will come up well short.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I presume this means that the Angels made Simmons some sort of offer and he declined?

That whole thing with Simmons opting out of the last week of the season was weird.

i'd bet that they did not. i think that's the big reason he opted out. he realized the finality and decided if he was going into FA why risk the injury. just some supposition on my part, but it certainly looked and felt that way.

15 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

If he keeps playing well he should. Ozzie Smith is in the hall and Simmons has a higher bWar through the first 9 years of his career. I have no idea if he will keep playing as well as Smith did but he certainly is on his way.

I mean he’s great, I just don’t think he has the offensive power to enter into the HoF

All the talk about Simmons .. he's likely going to get ~10mil or so per year in free agency (maybe 2/20 or something along those lines).  Simmons is better than Iglesias, but with a cost savings of ~7mil, is Simmons > Iglesias + another SP/reliever/etc?

I think all things considered, it makes a lot more sense to acquire Iglesias and utilize the extra savings towards something like a SP, C, or reliever.

18 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

10+ million vs. 3.5 million for the same offense and worse but still great defense. No brainer. 

there's the potential that his breakout was a new offensive level, he's 30 and there are plenty of examples of it happening before. nobody expects it, but the potential is there.

23 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

10+ million vs. 3.5 million for the same offense and worse but still great defense. No brainer. 

Agreed.  Fantastic deal, IMO.  Going from Fletcher/Rengifo to Iglesias/Fletcher tremendously improves defense at both SS/2B, and as you said, for a very low cost as well.  I am still very hopeful about what Rengifo can do, too - tremendous eye and some pop.  He had a down year, but he's still so young.  This will give him some time to develop in AAA, and he could potentially be a starter for us by 2022, too.

Last three seasons...

Iglesias -- 1078 ABs .291/.325/.419-.745  95 OPS+ 4.8 bWAR
Fletcher - 1087 ABs .292/.346/.378-.732 98 OPS+ 5.0 bWAR

Obviously, Fletcher is a guy on the rise, someone you can still dream on a bit.  The point isn't to say that Iglesias is Fletcher, his 2020 skews the comparison but as a 85-88 OPS SS who doesn't hurt you with the glove he's at worst a poor man's Aybar.

• 8 months later...

Well that didn't pan out.

Jose Iglesias: .259/.295/.375/.670, -1.4 dWAR, -1.2 bWAR, released after 114 G

Garrett Stallings (A+/AA): 4.45 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 93 IP, 99 H, 15 HR, 16 BB, 80 K in 20 G/17 GS
Jean Pinto (Rk/A): 1.95 ERA, 0.77 WHIP, 50.2 IP, 26 H, 2 HR, 13 BB, 65 K in 11 G/10 GS

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Garrett Stallings (A+/AA): 4.45 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 93 IP, 99 H, 15 HR, 16 BB, 80 K in 20 G/17 GS
Jean Pinto (Rk/A): 1.95 ERA, 0.77 WHIP, 50.2 IP, 26 H, 2 HR, 13 BB, 65 K in 11 G/10 GS

No clue how his defense fell off a cliff the way it did

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

super

I was curious as to how Simmons and Iglesias paired up now that the season is coming to a close.

Simmons: .220/.284/.275/.559, 1.7 dWAR, 1.1 bWAR, 10.5mil

Iglesias: .259/.295/.375/.670, -1.4 dWAR, -1.2 bWAR, 3.5mil

If Iglesias's defense hadn't fallen off a cliff, he would have actually been a great pick up. But instead, he fell victim to the Angels curse and had an awful year

From MLB Trade Rumors

As evidenced by his career production, Iglesias has never been a particularly fearsome hitter. He’s instead long been regarded as one of the game’s top defensive infielders, which has led to regular opportunities as an everyday shortstop with the Tigers, Reds, Orioles and Angels in recent seasons. As MLBTR’s Mark Polishuk recently examined, though, Iglesias’ defensive metrics have tumbled this season — a problem that has plagued much of the club.

Defensive Runs Saved has pegged Iglesias as 21 runs below average at shortstop this season, the league’s worst mark for a player at any position. Ultimate Zone Rating and Statcast’s Outs Above Average aren’t quite so bearish, but both systems also peg Iglesias as below average with the glove. Single-season defensive metrics can be variable, and Iglesias is being compared to his peers at shortstop — who tend to be among the game’s best overall infielders. So there remains some hope of him turning things around somewhat, but his unanimously poor ratings this year also likely suggest that his days as one of the sport’s most valuable defenders could be behind him.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/angels-release-jose-iglesias.html