• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Jose Iglesias from the Orioles for Garrett Stallings and Jean Pinto

mmc

5 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Seeing stallings in the trade makes this a thumbs down for me.  One year of a good defense / no bat MI is not worth the potential 6+ years of stallings.  I’d have rather played the waiting game and picked up something in FA/non-tender group without giving up a decent SP prospect.  

It's all good. The Orioles will ruin Stallings and we will pick him back up for pennies and he will be solid like Bundy. Big brain move by Perry.

Edited by rafibomb

3 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Seeing stallings in the trade makes this a thumbs down for me.  One year of a good defense / no bat MI is not worth the potential 6+ years of stallings.  I’d have rather played the waiting game and picked up something in FA/non-tender group without giving up a decent SP prospect.  

Stallings kinda reminds me of Chris Ellis.  probably a bit overrated because no one has really seen much of him but at best he's a #5 and most likely a guy who doesn't do much.  

Stallings' ceiling has always been a backend rotation guy but he's likely a guy that bounces between triple-a and spot starts. Something we have plenty of and won't move the needle. This team needs front-end pitching. If this move saves us money to spend on pitching today I can't see how we can hate this move with Stallings still ~ 2 years away. 

Edited by rafibomb

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Stallings kinda reminds me of Chris Ellis.  probably a bit overrated because no one has really seen much of him but at best he's a #5 and most likely a guy who doesn't do much.  

And a guy who is pretty easy to replace via waiver claims, Rule 5, or minor league free agency. 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

But if I’ve never seen him, i can assume he’s awesome and the next Dustin May. Now that’s been taketh away. Lost dreams lol 

1 minute ago, mmc said:

People who are upset about losing Stallings, buckle up lol.  Minasian has no attachment to the Eppler prospects, the guys he isn't high will be gone.  Stallings is far from the first.

Exactly.  Minasian likely has considerably different views than Eppler did on a number of prospects, and we will soon start to see that unfold.  This is the first example.

Just now, mmc said:

People who are upset about losing Stallings, buckle up lol.  Minasian has no attachment to the Eppler prospects, the guys he isn't high will be gone.  Stallings is far from the first.

Yup. I stated in the Minasian signing thread that this could be an opportunity for him to get rid of guys in the organization that Eppler was high on that Minasian's regime isn't.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

exactly.  those guys are dime a dozen from year to year typically.  

Yup. Nothing really different between Garrett Stallings or Zach Lee or Nick Tropeano or Deck McGuire. It's just a name we're more attached too because we drafted him. 

I think it's a good deal simply because it fills a need - infielder help - at a very affordable rate with $3.5m. Much most cost-efficient than the $6-$12m+ being kicked around for Wong, Hernandez, etc. 

At the same time, also a little worrisome that Perry could be on a tight budget.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Minasian emphasized "run prevention" at his press conference many, many times.

Having Fletcher remain at 2B, where he's fairly elite defensively, and having a very solid defensive SS come over is a great move.  We have a great infield defense now, and I expect that he will acquire a strong defensive catcher, too.