• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Non-Tender Deadline Thread (Angels non-tender Middleton, Robles, Andriese, Anderson, and Milner)

BTH

Minasian on his philosophy on relievers:

"While some general managers are reluctant to spend money in the often-volatile relief pitcher market, Minasian said he’s open-minded to getting relievers by any means he can.

“I’m not a philosophy guy, I’m a do-the-work type of person,” Minasian said. “My experience is do the work and take each individual player and take the value of that player and go from here. I’m not opposed to spending money in the bullpen or finding diamonds in the rough at cheaper prices. We’re not opposed to anything.”"

From: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/12/02/angels-acquire-shortstop-jose-iglesias-from-orioles/ (click the link)

9 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Minasian on his philosophy on relievers:

"While some general managers are reluctant to spend money in the often-volatile relief pitcher market, Minasian said he’s open-minded to getting relievers by any means he can.

“I’m not a philosophy guy, I’m a do-the-work type of person,” Minasian said. “My experience is do the work and take each individual player and take the value of that player and go from here. I’m not opposed to spending money in the bullpen or finding diamonds in the rough at cheaper prices. We’re not opposed to anything.”"

From: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/12/02/angels-acquire-shortstop-jose-iglesias-from-orioles/ (click the link)

Basically, I read that as him saying he will seek whatever means necessary to improve the team, whether it's by spending significant money on a certain player or finding value.

If you look at our games down the stretch last year, it was basically Mayers, Pena, Andriese, and..???  That was all who Maddon trusted, and considering Andriese was just let go, I sorta suspect Maddon trusted Andriese as the #3 because he didn't really have many options and needed more than just 2 relievers, lol.

The market is now flooded with relievers everywhere.  I'm sure Minasian will bring in a lot of arms.

1 hour ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Ugh, another year of Gas Can Noe blowing up those 1-run/tied games.  (While he goes lights out when in all those 5+ run games so ya'll can point to how good his numbers are.)

usually when someone says this about a pitcher or it's offensive equivalent, which is he never gets clutch hits, it never turns out to be true. it's merely perception vs. reality. you have the opportunity to prove your point.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

for those worked up over the andriese cut, isn't it entirely possible the angels bring andriese back at a lower salary if he doesn't find greener pastures elsewhere?

I'm not upset, just surprised. But as others have noted, with so many relievers available at low prices, no reason to keep a reliever just to keep them.

i saw an interesting stat.

everybody saying that there's this flood of players on the market due to covid uncertainty.

apparently, last year there were 56 non tendered players and this year there were a total of 59.

edit: i should add, i'd be willing to bet that the total dollar value of the 59 players is significantly greater than the previous 56, but there's only one way to know that and i'm not going to do it and neither should you.

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

everybody saying that there's this flood of players on the market due to covid uncertainty.

apparently, last year there were 56 non tendered players and this year there were a total of 59.

edit: i should add, i'd be willing to bet that the total dollar value of the 59 players is significantly greater than the previous 56, but there's only one way to know that and i'm not going to do it and neither should you.

I agree with your edit.  sheer roster limits and math related to that probably dictate how many players are likely to end up in the non tendered pool

too many other factors to assign relevance to the fact that the total number is about the same.  could be that clubs decided to protect cheaper players this year.  

I would, however, be interested in seeing how the distribution has changed and along with the total $$ going up, I bet that the avg value for each of those players has gone up as well.  

just going by the top of last year's list, Cesar Hernandez was probably the best player in that pool and he had an fWAR of 1.7 in 2018.  

4 hours ago, ukyah said:

I think the key thing though is that while there was a similar amount of non-tenders, there are a lot more teams who just aren't going to spend any dollars this offseason, and some are aggressively looking to cut payroll.

So, even though the non-tender pool is roughly the same, if you have less buyers, the cost of those players will inevitably drop due to decreased demand.

10 hours ago, ukyah said:

But is the total dollar value of those 59 players greater than the last year of the Pujols contract?