• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitcher List: Jared Walsh's Breakthrough is For Real

The Angels so badly needed a young hitter to emerge as a legit (and cheap) offensive threat, especially with Adell falling flat and Ohtani taking a step back (and potentially towards the mound). 

Really hope Walsh keeps this up. I first started taking him seriously when he returned to AA for a second stint - he was awful before - and had no issues when he returned. Gave me some hope.

4 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

Pitcher List is a great fantasy baseball website with some very good analytical pieces.  This one points to Walsh's cleaner, more compact swing as a root cause of his remarkable improvement, dramatically reducing strikeouts and driving up hard contact.

I'm kind of amazed at all the movement in his 2019 swing -  I mean, it's like a Rube Goldberg machine of useless movements.

I'm equally amazed he was able to clean it up so much in one (shortened) year - those tics and twitches probably had been there a long time (I mean, I'm guessing)  Speaks well of his ability to adapt.

I do have to wonder, though - while I don't see any scouting videos of him at Georgia, I don't see any mention of this.  Seems like our minor league development people let him develop all those tics - definitely a question mark there...

Anyway, am glad he got it sorted - easy to think he's a flash in the pan - but he *looks* like a good hitter.  We'll see once the league has a chance to catch up to him - but I'm optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

This would be huge for halos if he can be regular 1B. Like to see halos sign Howie Kendrick, bring him back to finish his career with Angels. He could sub at 1B, 2B and coming off the bench. Can have this is Howie do it night.

Actually, not a bad idea. I considered him at one point, but he seems even more suitable now. Not sure how his 2B defense is at this point, though.

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Actually, not a bad idea. I considered him at one point, but he seems even more suitable now. Not sure how his 2B defense is at this point, though.

Plus being 37, and hasn’t played more than 33 games at 2B since 2015.

Need to focus on Wong or either of the Hernandezes (Cesar or Kike).

Edited by Angel Oracle

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Plus being 37, and hasn’t played more than 33 games at 2B since 2015.

Yep. Howie would be a nice platoon at 1B/DH, and occasional starter at 2B. But I don't think there's a real place for him unless they're finally willing to put Albert out to pasture (on the bench). As things stand, I see 1B/DH starts like so:

1B: Walsh 110, Albert 50

DH: Ohtani 90, Walsh 30, Albert 20, Trout/Upton/Rendon 20

Or something like that.