• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Philadelphia Phillies layoff 80 employees

Revad

5 hours ago, ettin said:

I joined Northrop Grumman in October 2010 and not just a year later they had a wide involuntary layoff and I was on the chopping block until I scrambled and found a different position working up in Palmdale. This was in mid-October of 2011. That was not fun and to see other employees crying and upset is not fun either. Same thing when the small launch vehicle company I worked for, Vector, suddenly lost their financial backing and had to fire everyone, basically. That sucked even worse as it was so sudden.

Hope all of those people are able to find steady work, it is difficult out there right now for a wide range of industries.

My father was a materials science guy- he had one of the first golf clubs with a carbon graffite shaft.  He kicked my ass with it- but only on the course

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Never try to time the market. 

i won't go on about this because few people care on a baseball board, but we're in the middle of a globally mismanaged pandemic and the usa is the poster child, i certainly wouldn't be advising people to put all their money in the stock market right now. there is a massive correction coming from the banks again and it's going to start at the year end. having said that, that's my opinion based off the information that i have, do as you please.

43 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i won't go on about this because few people care on a baseball board, but we're in the middle of a globally mismanaged pandemic and the usa is the poster child, i certainly wouldn't be advising people to put all their money in the stock market right now. there is a massive correction coming from the banks again and it's going to start at the year end. having said that, that's my opinion based off the information that i have, do as you please.

One I didn’t say put all your money in the stock market I said to put money in that and save as much as possible. And 2 sure there’s always some correction coming. But timing the market is foolish your basically guessing. Do what you feel comfortable with put money in the stock market or don’t the markets up and there’s a stimulus coming December or January all reports look optimistic for 2021 for the stock market but no one can predict the future. For me over the long haul I trust that the market will win out. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I prefer to use the lottery for investment purposes.

you say this as a joke, but did you know a strong segment of the population, including a disturbingly relevant percentage of young adults believe this very thing? that's scary.

anyhwho, i'm waiting for something fun to talk about.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

you say this as a joke, but did you know a strong segment of the population, including a disturbingly relevant percentage of young adults believe this very thing? that's scary.

I am aware of how a large percentage of young adults make bad decisions and use the bank of mom and dad to support their lifestyle. 

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

Mr Beast made a video where he spent 1 million dollars on scratch off tickets it’s pretty entertaining. 

• Chuck changed the title to The Philadelphia Phillies let go 80 employees
1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Mr Beast made a video where he spent 1 million dollars on scratch off tickets it’s pretty entertaining. 

my dad used to work a 7/11 graveyard shift as a 2nd job. i would hang out with him during his shift because i wanted to spend time with him. i remember watching guys buy a book of 500 tickets and just stand there scratching them off. i have to say it did have a certain degree of intrigue and suspense, as i sat nearby drinking my nuclear hot hot chocolate.

• Chuck changed the title to The Philadelphia Phillies layoff 80 employees

1. Don't fight the Fed.

2. Don't vote with your portfolio (ask people who went all cash November 2016 and stayed all cash how that went, and we can ask the same question in 2024 of a different set of people).

3. Your bias should always be to be invested, rather than all cash.  (Stated another way, don't fight the free market.)

4. In the long term, we're all dead anyway.

5. Did I mention don't fight the Fed?

Edited by Lazorko Saves

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

my dad used to work a 7/11 graveyard shift as a 2nd job. i would hang out with him during his shift because i wanted to spend time with him. i remember watching guys buy a book of 500 tickets and just stand there scratching them off. i have to say it did have a certain degree of intrigue and suspense, as i sat nearby drinking my nuclear hot hot chocolate.

I can only imagine. I’m 38 watching the video being like I know these people aren’t gonna come out on top but still it’s entertainment watching them scratch off this many tickets 

Tons of work currently in the corporate law field in Vancouver. Lots of it international. The work load has actually increased even with about 80% of the office working from home mostly and only going in to the physical office a few times a month. The last couple of months of any year re always busy because of end of year restructuring and this year is no exception.

At the start of Covid there were some firms that let go a percentage of staff or instituted a reduction in salary. Interesting too how video conferencing and interviews are taking place on line rather than in person. I know of some people fired in one place, hired elsewhere without leaving their houses. Firms are cutting down on things like Xmas parties and Xmas bonuses though. Commercial real estate ion the other hand s taking a big blow though. Especially in New York city. 

Time will tell if the world ever returns to the old normal. Even if Covid eventually is under control. A mixed bag of good and bad repercussions from this situation. I really wonder what the sports landscape will be like. A question to ponder as things unfold. Really tough right now for pretty much all non athletes and essential personnel employed in the industry.