• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Philadelphia Phillies layoff 80 employees

Revad

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/phillies-reduce-front-office-workforce.html

The Philadelphia Phillies let go 80 employees on Wednesday, reducing their front office workforce by 80%, reports Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Inquirer. A number of Major League teams have diminished their staffs since the pandemic prompted revenue losses all across the sporting landscape, but the Phillies brought their own particular panache to the unfortunate business of layoffs. Hayes reports that employees were alerted of the latest cuts by email the day before Thanksgiving.

I wonder what percentage of a front office usually turns over when a GM is fired? 

I also wonder if there is more to this story and if a new GM will add staff?

In any case, the timing sucks... but people are losing their jobs across every industry due to the pandemic.

Years ago, I was laid off 12 days before Christmas with several others because of the loss of revenue. It's a horrible experience.

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

I wonder what percentage of a front office usually turns over when a GM is fired? 

In any case, the timing sucks... but people are losing their jobs across every industry due to the pandemic.

Years ago, I was laid off 12 days before Christmas with several others because of the loss of revenue. It's a horrible experience.

I know it sucked for me getting my first layoff notice (from Sears Long Beach catalog dept) at the end of 1976.   Took that frustration and got totally wasted with a friend on New Years Eve.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

It's what businesses do...it doesn't make it right but it is a reality.  Someone once conveyed to me the truth; it is a world of shit sandwiches.  The more bread you make, the less shit you eat.

More like wish sandwiches for these people. 2 pieces of bread and they wish they could afford meat to put between the bread. Times are tough for lot of people. Never understood first stimulus package, I'm retired and my income was not affected covid but I was still sent money. Think people out of work with families could have used it.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

More like wish sandwiches for these people. 2 pieces of bread and they wish they could afford meat to put between the bread. Times are tough for lot of people. Never understood first stimulus package, I'm retired and my income was not affected covid but I was still sent money. Think people out of work with families could have used it.

you know what goes well with a wish sandwich? 

a rubber biscuit.

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

I obviously survived and it ended up being a good thing. Most things happen for a reason and usually when one door closes, another one opens. It was horrible in the moment, but okay in hindsight.

And Taylor... I didn't expect the owner of the company to adjust his lifestyle to keep me employed...

Edited by T.G.

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

I joined Northrop Grumman in October 2010 and not just a year later they had a wide involuntary layoff and I was on the chopping block until I scrambled and found a different position working up in Palmdale. This was in mid-October of 2011. That was not fun and to see other employees crying and upset is not fun either. Same thing when the small launch vehicle company I worked for, Vector, suddenly lost their financial backing and had to fire everyone, basically. That sucked even worse as it was so sudden.

Hope all of those people are able to find steady work, it is difficult out there right now for a wide range of industries.

Sucks. People are getting let go more and more the longer and longer covid is around. No fans in the stadiums, shortening the season. It’ll be real interesting if fans will be allowed in next season or if more things will be locked down. Disney is letting go of something like 3,200 people. Times are definitely weird. Everyone should be saving and putting their money in the stock market as much as they can right now. Never know what tomorrow may bring. 

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

Sucks. People are getting let go more and more the longer and longer covid is around. No fans in the stadiums, shortening the season. It’ll be real interesting if fans will be allowed in next season or if more things will be locked down. Disney is letting go of something like 3,200 people. Times are definitely weird. Everyone should be saving and putting their money in the stock market as much as they can right now. Never know what tomorrow may bring. 

dangerous advice when it's at an all time high and there's a recession on the way.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I know it sucked for me getting my first layoff notice (from Sears Long Beach catalog dept) at the end of 1976.   Took that frustration and got totally wasted with a friend on New Years Eve.

Addendum:  Playing air hockey in a small apt unit with copious amounts of Bacardi 86 in both of us that NYE was interesting, although his new wife of six months was not amused.  

Especially while watching the first ever tv showing of Mad Mad Mad World, and when the Long Beach scenes appeared late in the movie drunkenly shouting “Hey, that’s Long Beach!”

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I heard that.