• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which 3 pitchers would you add to the Angels this offseason that could realistically all be had?

mmc

This team definitely needs 3 starting pitchers, so if you could pick any 3 who can all be realistically had, who would you go with.  Because I want this to be realistic, don't list 3 pitchers who would require elite prospects to acquire via trade, as there is no chance that the Angels have what it takes to make that happen.  Also, don't list 3 expensive pitchers who would be over what we can realistically assume our payroll would be in a best case scenario. 

For me it would be Bauer, Snell, and Kuhl.

Darvish, Márquez, and May.

Darvish is making 22M this season, Márquez is making 7.8M this season, and May would likely make around 5-7M per season.

Darvish's cost is likely lowered because of his contract, Márquez would likely acquire one of Adell or Marsh, and may can be signed in free agency.

IMO, we don't need 3 starters.  Just need one.

1. Bundy, 3.2 ERA, 1.036 WHIP.  Won't be replicated, but a mid/high 3, 1.15 WHIP is very possible.
  2. Canning, 3.99 ERA, 1.3667 WHIP.  Whip is definitely high.  He'll probably bring it down to the 1.2 range.  His minor league numbers show that he should even get it into the low 1.2 range, maybe high 1.1 range.  ERA wise, if he's in the high 3's, it should be enough with the offense we can put behind him.
  3. Heaney  4.46 ERA, 1.230 WHIP.  Potential to drop it into the low 4's.  His Whip has been very consistent in the 1.2's, which is fine for a 3/4 pitcher.
  4. Barria.  3.62 ERA, 1.113 WHIP.  Will probably move up higher on depth chart, but he is still pretty young.  It definitely looks like his 21 YO campaign wasn't a fluke, and that his 22 YO campaign might be the outlier.  His AAA numbers are a worry.  But for a 4 starter, he should be fine.  

Wildcard is obviously Ohtani, but I'm not expecting much from him at all this season.  So he'd just be a bonus, if anything.  I'm still on the McKenzie/Lindor bandwagon.  McKenzie can slot in the 4/5 slot.  And hopefully rise to the 2 slot by end of season.  In 3/4 years, I can see him as the staff ace.  But he's still very young, so no need to rush him to the top slot.  Just get him experience, and let him shine.  I wouldn't mind Walker also, as he would slot into the #2/3 slot easily.  But Barria and Canning are young, and if you add McKenzie you would have to slot one in relief or down to the minors.  

What we do need is 3 relievers though.  Mayers Bedrosian, and Ramirez all put up good numbers last season.  The rest were not good at all.  

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

1. Bundy, 3.2 ERA, 1.036 WHIP.  Won't be replicated, but a mid/high 3, 1.15 WHIP is very possible.
  2. Canning, 3.99 ERA, 1.3667 WHIP.  Whip is definitely high.  He'll probably bring it down to the 1.2 range.  His minor league numbers show that he should even get it into the low 1.2 range, maybe high 1.1 range.  ERA wise, if he's in the high 3's, it should be enough with the offense we can put behind him.
  3. Heaney  4.46 ERA, 1.230 WHIP.  Potential to drop it into the low 4's.  His Whip has been very consistent in the 1.2's, which is fine for a 3/4 pitcher.
  4. Barria.  3.62 ERA, 1.113 WHIP.  Will probably move up higher on depth chart, but he is still pretty young.  It definitely looks like his 21 YO campaign wasn't a fluke, and that his 22 YO campaign might be the outlier.  His AAA numbers are a worry.  But for a 4 starter, he should be fine.  

Wildcard is obviously Ohtani, but I'm not expecting much from him at all this season.  So he'd just be a bonus, if anything.  I'm still on the McKenzie/Lindor bandwagon.  McKenzie can slot in the 4/5 slot.  And hopefully rise to the 2 slot by end of season.  In 3/4 years, I can see him as the staff ace.  But he's still very young, so no need to rush him to the top slot.  Just get him experience, and let him shine.  I wouldn't mind Walker also, as he would slot into the #2/3 slot easily.  But Barria and Canning are young, and if you add McKenzie you would have to slot one in relief or down to the minors.  

What we do need is 3 relievers though.  Mayers Bedrosian, and Ramirez all put up good numbers last season.  The rest were not good at all.  

Even if you think the 4 you listed + one acquisition is a decent enough rotation, what happens if someone gets hurt?  Or 2 guys?  We need to be several starters deep to be able to truly compete.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Even if you think the 4 you listed + one acquisition is a decent enough rotation, what happens if someone gets hurt?  Or 2 guys?  We need to be several starters deep to be able to truly compete.

but what you are suggesting is screw development.  Get 3 starters, spend probably the entire FA budget doing so, which also means no improvement of the arson squad of a bullpen, and move canning and Barria to the minors for depth.  Depth is having a deep minor league squad to call up.  Obviously we don't have that, and it would be difficult to trade for that kind of talent.  My thoughts are, the depth we are going to have are going to be spring training invites on flyers, similar to what we've done in the past, because of the lack of minor league prospects.  But those types of signings don't cost us that much.  And if it gets bad, then we'll have to do trades if we are competitive.  

If they use player assets. Marquez, Odorizzi/Richards, Hand/May

Purely using $$$$,  Bauer, Richards, May

No Bauer version.   

I try to add four....  Odorizzi, Richards, Hand, May.   Then I introduce the four of them in front of a massively blown up image of the Blanton, Hanson, Madson, Burnnett, presser...

21 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I appreciate the optimism, but you also have to have a roster ready for Bundy to potentially revert to the lifetime 4.50 era pitcher he was and for Canning to not take a step forward.

This is not far-fetched.  In this case, your #1 and #2 are basically #4 starters? With your top 3 all having eras over 4.50.

The team needs two high quality starters.

Edited by Dtwncbad

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If they use player assets. Marquez, Odorizzi/Richards, Hand/May

Purely using $$$$,  Bauer, Richards, May

No Bauer version.   

I try to add four....  Odorizzi, Richards, Hand, May.   Then I introduce the four of them in front of a massively blown up image of the Blanton, Hanson, Madson, Burnnett, presser...

I would do this but Walker over Odorizzi, or exchange of Richards.

I think two is more realistic.

I trade for Musgrove if he is to be had. Marsh and maybe a throw in prospect or two maybe gets it done. More importantly, it's a low cost move. If he can't be, I maybe center a deal for Snell (and maybe Kiermaier if neccessary to swing the trade) around Adell and whatever else is needed. 

I sign Odorizzi (and Happ, whatever).

• Snell/Musgrove
  • Bundy
  • Heaney
  • Odorizzi
  • Canning/Happ
  • Ohtani, hopefully

• Barria
  • Sandoval

My preference would be for Bauer. I just don't think it's likely. Cost being prohibitive and I don't think he's the kind of personality Arte would be crazy about. 

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I appreciate the optimism, but you also have to have a roster ready for Bundy to potentially revert to the lifetime 4.50 era pitcher he was and for Canning to not take a step forward.

This is not far-fetched.  In this case, your #1 and #2 are basically #4 starters? With your top 3 all having eras over 4.50.

The team needs two high quality starters.

But that's the thing.  Even two high quality starters could blow up the budget, and leave the middle infield and relief as huge questions marks.

JMO, but you do the trade for McKenzie/Lindor (obviously a big if even if it's possible, but Adell is a top 10 prospect, so the value is there).  Re-sign Lindor because Pujols will be off the books when his new contract starts ($25 million?) so that would take care of the MI.  McKenzie slots into the rotation at league minimum for the next 3 seasons.  then go after the relievers, with my choice being 3 of Colome, Greene, Clippard, Soria.  This would put us at $55-65 million spent in the offseason.

This would start the season with a pretty kick ass offense.  probably an average starting rotation, with a best case scenario of above average.  And a much improved, better than average relief squad.  

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

But that's the thing.  Even two high quality starters could blow up the budget, and leave the middle infield and relief as huge questions marks.

JMO, but you do the trade for McKenzie/Lindor (obviously a big if even if it's possible, but Adell is a top 10 prospect, so the value is there).  Re-sign Lindor because Pujols will be off the books when his new contract starts ($25 million?) so that would take care of the MI.  McKenzie slots into the rotation at league minimum for the next 3 seasons.  then go after the relievers, with my choice being 3 of Colome, Greene, Clippard, Soria.  This would put us at $55-65 million spent in the offseason.

This would start the season with a pretty kick ass offense.  probably an average starting rotation, with a best case scenario of above average.  And a much improved, better than average relief squad.  

I don’t care about the budget.  I am talking  about what the team needs to win.  If the people controlling the money can’t address the team needs because of money, then I guess I will then decide how invested I am in the team in 2021.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If Walkers medicals come out clean, sure.   

Something had to scare teams off last winter.  Dude pitched well, but is he a ticking time bomb?

That whole situation played out really weird.

Walker was coming off of TJ surgery, that cost him almost 2 years.  Seattle took a flyer on him, since they were familiar with him.  Then traded him to the Jays to get value.  

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

I think two is more realistic.

I trade for Musgrove if he is to be had. Marsh and maybe a throw in prospect or two maybe gets it done. More importantly, it's a low cost move. If he can't be, I maybe center a deal for Snell (and maybe Kiermaier if neccessary to swing the trade) around Adell and whatever else is needed. 

I sign Odorizzi (and Happ, whatever).

• Snell/Musgrove
  • Bundy
  • Heaney
  • Odorizzi
  • Canning/Happ
  • Ohtani, hopefully

• Barria
  • Sandoval

Musgrove would actually be my favorite trade target because he should be cheaper to get...   The Pirates won't be good again until after he will be gone so it makes sense for them.... but reading some of their press, the new front office is under pressure to avoid a Cole 2.0.  That pressure may result in them asking for more, not crazy stuff but possibly more than he's shown value wise.

Marquez might be easier to get simply because of money issues in CO.  If they move Arena do (I think that's their first choice), they won't move Marquez.

The Covid shit makes all of this harder to gauge.  Hopefully Perry is calling around finding out who wants to move money, who wants players... etc etc... What a shitty year to be a first time GM....

1 minute ago, gotbeer said:

Walker was coming off of TJ surgery, that cost him almost 2 years.  Seattle took a flyer on him, since they were familiar with him.  Then traded him to the Jays to get value.  

Nope..... Not talking about his elbow.  His shoulder was scaring teams off.  Teams that saw the medicals bailed... The Ms had nothing to lose.... 

I was a big proponent of signing him last year, but the shoulder talk is a red flag imo.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t care about the budget.  I am talking  about what the team needs to win.  If the people controlling the money can’t address the team needs because of money, then I guess I will then decide how invested I am in the team in 2021.

With what I have mapped out, IMO, our chances of winning are much much higher than adding 2 high end starters.  

1. Fletcher 2b
  2. Lindor SS
  3. Trout CF
  4. Rendon 3B
  5. Ohtani/Walsh DH
  6. Upton LF
  7. Pujols/Walsh 1B
  8. Ward RF
  9. Bemboom/Stassi C

Starters

1. Bundy
  2. Canning
  3. Heaney
  4. Barria
  5. McKenzie

Relievers

1. Colome
  2. Mayers
  3. Bedrosian
  4. Ramirez
  5. Clippard
  6. Soria

12 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

With what I have mapped out, IMO, our chances of winning are much much higher than adding 2 high end starters.  

1. Fletcher 2b
  2. Lindor SS
  3. Trout CF
  4. Rendon 3B
  5. Ohtani/Walsh DH
  6. Upton LF
  7. Pujols/Walsh 1B
  8. Ward RF
  9. Bemboom/Stassi C

Starters

1. Bundy
  2. Canning
  3. Heaney
  4. Barria
  5. McKenzie

Relievers

1. Colome
  2. Mayers
  3. Bedrosian
  4. Ramirez
  5. Clippard
  6. Soria

Bedrosian is a free agent

Snell (yes it would cost Adell and more)

Bauer whatever he wants will be a bargain compared to Cole

Odorizzi 

I figure this is about 55 million which means going in house for SS/2B and catcher. 

I don't think our pen is as bad we we complain. A better rotation fixes many of the problems.