• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blake Snell is on the market

Richbert88

0% chance it could even be Adell for Snell straight up. It’ll take at least one, and more likely two, good prospects to land him.

I’d like him, and I’d trade Adell for him, but I imagine those other two names would make it prohibitive for me. I imagine they’d focus on upside guys like Kochanowicz, and not pieces like Suarez or Thaiss.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

The Rays are losing Morton to free agency and Snell is locked into a team friendly contract. I just don't see any way they could justify parting with him. 

Even though Snell's contract is incredibly reasonable, the Rays are one of the teams who have claimed they were strongly impacted financially by COVID this year.  

He's effectively on a 3/39 deal at this point, and while that's definitely underpaid for someone like Snell, the Rays may not want to pay that.  Moreover, the Rays have stayed in contention by actively trading away very good players "before its too late," which enables them to maintain their incredible farm system.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Highest I would go is Adell, Adams, and a pitching prospect not named Kochanowicz, Detmers, or Canning. 

Yes, he could cost that much. 

Not convinced its the route I would go though. 

Concur on the last sentence, tempting as acquiring Snell would be.

You have to give up a lot to get a pitcher of his status with three dollar friendly seasons left on the contract.

One caveat: he’s only averaged some 5 1/3 innings per start in his career, and only averaged 4 2/3 innings since 2019.    What happens if stretching that out to 6 1/3 innings?

Edited by Angel Oracle

When we discuss possible trade options, I think you have to look at the systems Minasian has come from, and it seems unlikely he would dip significantly into a medicare farm system to secure a "win now" type player in Snell.

I think instead he will likely make a concerted effort to build the farm system, probably look to trade a couple of them that he views as overrated as compared to industry standards, and then try to find undervalued players on the open market.  I also see a prospect-for-prospect, or young player for young player, type of trade far more likely for Minasian than trading Adell + others for Snell.

Obviously that is not what most want to hear, but I think if you consider Minasian (and Tamin)'s backgrounds, it seems more likely we see those kinds of moves.  

Had we hired Dombrowski, absolutely, I would expect to see a package of Adell, Detmers, and others for Snell, or something along those lines.  But I do not expect that from Minasian, and I think Arte's hiring of him indicates that he wants us to build a sustainable winner over the long haul, a la the Dodgers, Braves, etc.

33 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Concur on the last sentence, tempting as acquiring Snell would be.

You have to give up a lot to get a pitcher of his status with three dollar friendly seasons left on the contract.

One caveat: he’s only averaged some 5 1/3 innings per start in his career, and only averaged 4 2/3 innings since 2019.    What happens if stretching that out to 6 1/3 innings?

I’m convinced part of why Tampa does so well with pitching is due to methods we can’t exactly replicate. Be it defense, bullpen, game management, workload, whatever analytics or systems they have in place. 

There is just too much proof at this point that they (and teams like the Astros, Athletics, Dodgers, and Indians) know what they are doing in acquiring pitching and dropping it into a system they’ve created that works. Some of it is environmental, some of it is roster construction, and surely some of it is development and analytics.

That doesn’t mean Snell would suck here, or we can’t come up with our own process, not that those players are only successful because they went through those machines, but it makes me temper expectations more about what production a player leaving those teams is capable of. 

Something must not be right with Snell which is why Tampa is shopping him.  I still have nightmares about the last talented Tampa pitcher the Angels traded for.  I could be wrong, but I can't remember the last time Tampa traded away a talented pitcher who pitched just as well with their new team as they did with Tampa.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

When we discuss possible trade options, I think you have to look at the systems Minasian has come from, and it seems unlikely he would dip significantly into a medicare farm system to secure a "win now" type player in Snell.

I think instead he will likely make a concerted effort to build the farm system, probably look to trade a couple of them that he views as overrated as compared to industry standards, and then try to find undervalued players on the open market.  I also see a prospect-for-prospect, or young player for young player, type of trade far more likely for Minasian than trading Adell + others for Snell.

Obviously that is not what most want to hear, but I think if you consider Minasian (and Tamin)'s backgrounds, it seems more likely we see those kinds of moves.  

Had we hired Dombrowski, absolutely, I would expect to see a package of Adell, Detmers, and others for Snell, or something along those lines.  But I do not expect that from Minasian, and I think Arte's hiring of him indicates that he wants us to build a sustainable winner over the long haul, a la the Dodgers, Braves, etc.

I get that, but Arte has announced to a diminishing audience that Eppler was fired because he was losing.  Oh he misses saying he had 3m fans in those seats

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

This is a good point AO.  Snell has been great in the system that the Rays have installed.  Limited pitch count, only going through the batting order twice, etc.  Of course, that blew up in their face in the World Series, but who knows what the outcome would have been if he was left in?

Regardless, unless the Angels make major strides in the upgrade of their bullpen, Snell would be another pitcher in the very long list of Angel starters who would pitch his ass off for 6, and walk away with a no decision.  

Edited by PattyD22

Snell says he spent a lot of time and scouted the Dodgers players. Had a plan for the 3rd time thru the line up. He hates losing. He told the rest of the team (leader) to take a couple weeks off and to get back after it so the team is better next year and they can win the WS.  I like this guy's work ethic. I would give up Adell and everybody else not named Marsh or Canning in a hot minute.  

Jordyn Adams (4), Jose Soriano (12), Hector Yan (9) and Jack Kochanowicz (13) for Blake Snell and Xavier Edwards. 

That's a ton of talent headed toward Tampa but we get a frontline arm however and a starting 2B. 

We also would still have have Canning, Detmers, Sandoval and C. Rodriguez. 

Blake Snell   Looking at his stats, I can see why people will say they won't give up Adell/Marsh for him.  Outside of his 25 YO campaign, his numbers have been very good, but not absolute ace.  Only his 25 was over 30 GS.  Rest 19, 24, and 23.  Outside of 25, ERA of 3.54, 4.04, 4.29, 3.24.  Outside of 25, WHIP of 1.6, 1.3, 1.27, 1.20.  ERA+ of 113. 104, 104, 131. Even innings pitched, his 25 was a career high 180.  Rest were 89, 129, 107.   It's hard to judge the last season, because it's 1/3 of a season, and a lot of pitchers had unreal numbers in the sprint that is a marathon of the MLB.  

The good thing is his performance should outperform his salary owed by quite a bit.  But I'd be really worried about durability. 

I definitely understand why Tampa is shopping him.  As he's a sell high player right now.