• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian’s Front Office Hirings Thread

mmc

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think you're right.  

I asked about Bailey again today, was told he was the guy who essentially in charge of creating the way information was distributed up and down the system and was not directly involved with the analytics end of it.  Basically the way it was explained to me he created or built the actual software and some of the AV tools.

Farris is believed to still be with the organization.

So this leads to an interesting question.

How much of the FO do we expect to be turned over?  Obviously the guys at the top (GM, two AGMs, etc) are being overturned, and various other members are being brought in.  When you see a new regime come in, I wonder how much of the current FO staff gets retained vs replaced.

58 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

How much of the FO do we expect to be turned over?  Obviously the guys at the top (GM, two AGMs, etc) are being overturned, and various other members are being brought in.  When you see a new regime come in, I wonder how much of the current FO staff gets retained vs replaced.

The big remaining question is whether Matt Swanson stays or goes.  By most accounts he had a lot of free reign when it came to the draft.  Swanson is well respected and known for being a good mesh of analytics and old school tools so, hoping he sticks around.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The big remaining question is whether Matt Swanson stays or goes.  By most accounts he had a lot of free reign when it came to the draft.  Swanson is well respected and known for being a good mesh of analytics and old school tools so, hoping he sticks around.

The addition of Brian Parker from the Dodgers makes me think that Swanson may be headed out. Although we don't know what Parker's position will be, Parker was the Jays Director of Amateur Scouting when Minasian was with the Jays, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Parker take over for the Angels in that same role.

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'd guess that most of the people hired by Eppler get replaced.

It's still kind of unclear on who is and isn't remaining with the organization. Eric Chavez and Ben Francisco were both Special Assistants to Billy Eppler, so I'd assume they aren't going to be with the organization moving forward, but there hasn't been any mention of their statuses.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I'd guess that most of the people hired by Eppler get replaced.

It's still kind of unclear on who is and isn't remaining with the organization. Eric Chavez and Ben Francisco were both Special Assistants to Billy Eppler, so I'd assume they aren't going to be with the organization moving forward, but there hasn't been any mention of their statuses.

My guess is Minasian will be methodical about it.  I doubt he just mass fires / removes most.  He'll probably have a trial period with most of the staff that remains and see who he can integrate into his vision and who needs to be replaced.

So far, the additions sound great.  Curious to see who else he is able to import.  I think one area we really need to grow and develop is our international scouting department.  Hiring the crosschecker from the Dodgers is a great first step.

44 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The addition of Brian Parker from the Dodgers makes me think that Swanson may be headed out. Although we don't know what Parker's position will be, Parker was the Jays Director of Amateur Scouting when Minasian was with the Jays, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Parker take over for the Angels in that same role.

Watson has similarly run the draft at times in his career.   Regardless of what happens with Swanson, they have added a lot more people who have a background in the area.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Watson has similarly run the draft at times in his career.   Regardless of what happens with Swanson, they have added a lot more people who have a background in the area.

My hope this that this leads to a much larger collaborative effort on the whole, with different organizational perspectives and knowledge merging together to create a more optimal draft.  We'll see how it pans out.

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

first @Jeff Fletcher tells us that the winter meeting aren't real and now this.  

I feel like I just ate the red pill.  

Even if Santa isn’t real, please tell me Rudolf is real, there has to be someone with a nose redder than mine and redder than the red pill.  But blue is my favorite color... after all I’m an Angel fan.

Edited by Revad

On 12/18/2020 at 3:53 PM, Fourts said:

That name sounds lame.  Really sounds low-level and made up position.  When in fact, it's quite an important one scout-wise.  Is it really that hard to change the name to a more appropriate sounding name that fits the prominence of the position?!?

how about commander crosschecker?

Minasian said on AM830 today: “I’m looking forward to filling out the rest of the front office. There’s still a couple things I’d like to do -- and I’m working on that -- but hopefully, at some point soon, we can send a release out with exactly what we’ve been able to do.”

So it seems like there's still some more hirings to come.

I wanted to bump this after reading everyone's takes on the recent activity.  It is interesting to hear the frustration in people's responses that the Angels are doing nothing.  After thinking about it while sitting on my thinking throne, it seems that the Angels are at a crucial crossroads that will impact them for the next 3-5 years.  The farm has accrued enough prospect currency to do some shopping.  Unfortunately, the prospect costs for making the deals that need to be made would set the farm back essentially restarting the "build the farm and develop the talent" clock.  On the other hand, if no trades are made, the "build the farm" strategy continues.  Ultimately, Minasian, et.al must make a decision on which fork in the road to take, trade prospects and rebuild the farm or hold the current course.

I like your idea best AO. 

Although, i'm open to signing Bauer which would eliminate some of your other proposed signings.  My issue with Bauer is the years and salary.  History is pretty clearly against the idea of long-term FA signings for SPs in MLB.  Add to that the fact that Bauer does not have a long resume for performing at Ace #1 level.  But his unique personality and situation may enable us to get him for less (years) than the usual FA.  This might be the one time to do so.  Glad it's Perry's job.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, Fourts said:

I like your idea best AO. 

Although, i'm open to signing Bauer which would eliminate some of your other proposed signings.  My issue with Bauer is the years and salary.  History is pretty clearly against the idea of long-term FA signings for SPs in MLB.  Add to that the fact that Bauer does not have a long resume for performing at Ace #1 level.  But his unique personality and situation may enable us to get him for less (years) than the usual FA.  This might be the one time to do so.  Glad it's Perry's job.

MLBTR’s latest has Bauer probably getting 4 years/$128 million.

I would be all over that.  
FA pitching contracts exceeding 4-5 years are not usually a good investment.    Scherzer is one of the few exceptions.

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 5 weeks later...
Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Any thoughts on this?

Jays have always had a solid farm system.

He's another hire who worked with Minasian in Toronto. The Blue Jays have built a really great core, so I think almost anyone coming from them is a good hire.