• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian’s Front Office Hirings Thread

mmc

13 hours ago, Jeremiah said:

From Baseball Reference: A crosschecker is a type of scout whose main function is to provide a second opinion on the reports filed by primarily-level scouts on players. Crosscheckers can be assigned a regional territory, or work at the national level. Typically, crosscheckers will concentrate on seeing potential early-round prospects for the amateur draft or players which may be targeted in a trade, to ensure that reports an organization has on them match their own evaluation.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Crosschecker

Thanks for clearing that up.

👍

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

getting kind of an old school vibe so far which I think I'm ok with as long as it ends up being a nice blend with the new.  

I think it's been a nice bled actually.  Tamin, who sounds like he will be 2nd in command, is an analytics guru.  Minasian has said his goal is to blend the two and have them work together.

ESPN ran a piece months ago that showed where teams lie in the analytics vs scouting spectrum.  Teams like the Dodgers, Yankees were actually in the middle - a blend of both, whereas teams like the Astros were tilted heavily towards analytics.

If Minasian can have us like the Dodgers, where we have a strong blend of both, that's excellent.

But so far, I'm by far the most excited about the FO he has been building.  That was our concern all along - that Arte wouldn't invest in the FO, and would instead just go out and sign one big FA and call it a day.

I will 100% of the time take a vert talented FO over signing a Trevor Bauer type FA.  Minasian is plucking well-respected FO members from all sorts of organizations (Braves, Royals, Blue Jays, Brewers, Dodgers).  I love it, because it provides a lot of different viewpoints, and hopefully can lead to us being one of the leaders in the industry when it comes to finding, drafting, and developing talent.

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

getting kind of an old school vibe so far which I think I'm ok with as long as it ends up being a nice blend with the new.  

Overall probably, but Alex Tamin is the big analytics add.  They lost the lead analytics guy but bring in a guy who was likely ahead of the game compared to what was lost.  Time will tell but I'm okay with that trade.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Overall probably, but Alex Tamin is the big analytics add.  They lost the lead analytics guy but bring in a guy who was likely ahead of the game compared to what was lost.  Time will tell but I'm okay with that trade.

Who lost their lead analytics guy?

Just now, Warfarin said:

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/31/angels-top-two-assistant-gms-to-leave-organization/

Their two assistant GMs both left on 10/31.  I believe one of them was in charge of the analytics department.

I know that both Strangio and Martone left, but I'm not sure if either of them was running the analytics department.

They hired Kevin Ferris from the Rays a couple of years ago to be their Director of Quantitative Analysis, and I kind of figured that he was in charge of the analytics department. I believe he's still with the organization, but maybe he wasn't in charge of the analytics department.

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

for @Trendon

@Inside Pitch broke this news on page three of this thread.  

I don't think either of those people were the Angels lead analytics guy. Like I said above, I believe that Kevin Ferris, who is the Angels Director of Quantitative Analysis, is the Angels lead analytics guy. Anderson was an assistant to Kevin Ferris. He is leaving to be the Reds head of analytics, but I don't believe he had that job with the Angels.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I don't think either of those people were the Angels lead analytics guy. Like I said above, I believe that Kevin Ferris, who is the Angels Director of Quantitative Analysis, is the Angels lead analytics guy. Anderson was an assistant to Kevin Ferris. He is leaving to be the Reds head of analytics, but I don't believe he had that job with the Angels.

I think you're right.  

I asked about Bailey again today, was told he was the guy who essentially in charge of creating the way information was distributed up and down the system and was not directly involved with the analytics end of it.  Basically the way it was explained to me he created or built the actual software and some of the AV tools.

Farris is believed to still be with the organization.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

I think you're right.  

I asked about Bailey again today, was told he was the guy who essentially in charge of creating the way information was distributed up and down the system and was not directly involved with the analytics end of it.  Basically the way it was explained to me he created or built the actual software and some of the AV tools.

Farris is believed to still be with the organization.

Oh hell, IP. You mean the world isn’t flat?

Son of a b...

2 minutes ago, T.G. said:

People need to learn... if IP says the earth is flat, you best believe it is. If he says they lost their lead analytics guy, he’s in the freakin’ wind.

In this case the info wasn't really clear so I went asking for more info.   I had never heard of Bailey before, and since the info was coming from people outside the org, I should have spoken in less certain terms.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

In this case the info wasn't really clear so I went asking for more info.   I had never heard of Bailey before, and since the info was coming from people outside the org, I should have spoken in less certain terms.

Who the eff are you and what did you do with IP?

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

I'm the guy that hates when people speak in absolutes without proper validation and should have asked for more info before popping off.

I feel like a kid who just found out Santa isn’t real.