• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian’s Front Office Hirings Thread

mmc

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I’m also interested in seeing if we someday see baseball cycle back away a little bit from analytics and eye test...analytics will never go away of course, but eventually, one would think every team will be ‘caught up’ and using data that closely resembles what everyone else is doing, and the competitive advantage it offers diminishes, and a team that perhaps isn’t as all-in on stats starts finding success using more old-school tactics. Identifying players who do little things or skills that go against what everyone is doing. 

The science part of it will never go away that Pandora's Box is open, fully and completely. The part you speak about here, however, is specifically related to the player's personality, demeanor, intelligence, ability to adapt, reactions, and other psychological attributes that science will have a much harder time identifying and putting into some measurable form. The impacts of a coach giving an encouraging word, a player suffering a significant loss of some sort, or simply just waking up on the wrong side of the bed will be difficult to measure with today's science. Measuring a player's bat speed, reaction times at the plate, home-to-first sprint times, barrel control, etc. will continue to be analyzed until most of the League hits some relative parity among all the teams which will put the 'X' factor squarely in the realm of the player's mind and soul, which is, to a degree, what you are poking at, tot's.

I don’t know who any of these guys are, mainly because I don’t follow front offices, but it certainly seems like Perry has brought in a ton of talent for the front office.  Anyone want to make a post about each guy brought in?  So far I think it was two guys from the Braves, one of which was with the Dodgers, then the guy from KC and now this guy from Milwaukee.  Am I missing anyone?  

33 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I believe he oversees certain international regions and manages a team of scouts who report back to him.  So basically, something like one of the head international scouts, who then reports to whoever the international scouting director is.  I think.

Thanks.  👍

Think I also saw Parker was the Blue Jays head of amateur scouting ‘12-‘16, a run where they drafted pitchers Stroman, Reid-Foley, Dunning, Hoffman, Boyd, Borucki, Romano, Graveman Zeuch, and Singer, and hitters Jansen, Biggio, Bichette.

Thinking on it, the Jays seem to have pretty good at drafting for a long time.

Edited by totdprods

44 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If Perry has actually convinced Arte Moreno to invest into the front office and baseball operations department, that would be huge. It feels like the Angels have lagged behind in those areas compared to other teams.

That’s what it looks like to me.  Our FO is growing a lot and importing a lot of great talent.  More than any FA signing, this is truly what we need

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

What does a cross checker do?

From Baseball Reference: A crosschecker is a type of scout whose main function is to provide a second opinion on the reports filed by primarily-level scouts on players. Crosscheckers can be assigned a regional territory, or work at the national level. Typically, crosscheckers will concentrate on seeing potential early-round prospects for the amateur draft or players which may be targeted in a trade, to ensure that reports an organization has on them match their own evaluation.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Crosschecker