• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian’s Front Office Hirings Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Found this sniper about some roles that Tamin played with ATL:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/10/09/braves-historic-postseason-start

This was an article discussing Atlanta's success this postseason when they got off to their blistering start.  Tamin, from all accounts, seems like he played a key role in Atlanta.  Excited to see how this FO will look and how this team will look with time.

Minasian has mentioned game-planning and defensive positioning as an avenue to improve the pitching, and Tamin seems to have been the Braves mastermind behind game-planning and defensive positioning. It seems like he's a great hire.

Hopefully Maddon and the coaching staff will listen and implement what Tamin has in mind, because it sure seems like he knows what he's doing.

9 hours ago, ukyah said:

this is all good news. i'm thinking the angels may have hired well. i really didn't know perry at all and when the list was down to him and a jerry dipoto underling, i think i unfairly grouped the two together, especially with some of the highly qualified names that were cut. i'm very happy to see these comments and these hirings. i'm hopeful for the angel's future.

Anthopolous is a great PBO.  He was really good with the Blue Jays, then spent a year working directly under Friedman, where I'm sure he learned a lot and became even better.  Minasian has effectively been serving as his second in command for 3 years now, and worked for him for years in Toronto, too.  No guarantee that he can be the same kind of leader, but at least he's had plenty of exposure to learning from the best, including creating the system he has in place, etc.

When Friedman left Tampa, while they initially struggled for a year or two, they quickly found their footing again and have become a legit contender once again - likely, because the system Friedman put in place has created sustained success.  I am hoping that Minasian brings the same system the Braves (and Dodgers) have.  Tamin's deep ties to the Braves + Dodgers is very promising.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Watson reportedly interviewed for the Angels GM job, so it turns out that the Angels were able to get 2 executives from among their GM candidates without having to give the PBO and GM title.

I was wrong, and it's good to see that the Angels are adding front office talent.

Given Watson’s position with the Royals, I have to imagine Watson will be the other AGM along with Tamin.   I imagine Watson will oversee the farm system, with Tamin focusing on major league operations 

https://www.mlb.com/royals/team/front-office/gene-watson

Gene Watson

Sr. Director-Pro Scouting/Assistant to the GM

Gene Watson is in his 14th full season with the Royals’ organization and third as the Sr. Director-Pro Scouting/Assistant to the General Manager, being promoted on Jan. 29, 2018. In his role, Watson oversees the club’s Pro Scouting Department. He was named a Major League scout for the Royals on Aug. 16, 2006, before being promoted to Coordinator-Pro Scouting on Oct. 31, 2008 and to the Director-Pro Scouting in 2012.

Watson was honored by the Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation in January 2018, receiving the Legends in Scouting Award. The award is presented annually to a pro scout who exemplifies a love for the game and a passion for scouting.

He came to the Royals from the Florida Marlins’ organization, where he was a professional scout covering the AL and NL Central Divisions, as well as the Double-A Texas League for four years, including the Marlins’ 2003 World Series season. He worked with the San Diego Padres beginning in 1997 and then joined the Atlanta Braves in 2000, working under current Royals’ Sr. VP-Baseball Operations/General Manager Dayton Moore, covering a number of minor leagues, as well as evaluating the top amateur players. He has more than 25 years of experience covering Major League Spring Training, minor league scouting, and has scouted the Dominican, Venezuelan and Mexican winter leagues.

Should check out Gene Watson's Twitter 

We “non prospect” velocity everyday. 1. Do they throw strikes? 2. Can they throw their breaking ball for a strike? 3. Can they control the running game? 4. Do they know how to compete? All encompassing of being a great pitcher.
Quote Tweet

ijA7XIco_mini.jpg

Steve Autry

@coachotg
· Dec 7
Attention pitchers posting video footage of bullpens with radar readings. 90-92 is nice...but being around the strike zone at 88 is better. Dads...if he’s 10 and you post radar readings, delete your account now. #pitchingisaverb

5 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

https://www.mlb.com/royals/team/front-office/gene-watson

Gene Watson

Sr. Director-Pro Scouting/Assistant to the GM

Gene Watson is in his 14th full season with the Royals’ organization and third as the Sr. Director-Pro Scouting/Assistant to the General Manager, being promoted on Jan. 29, 2018. In his role, Watson oversees the club’s Pro Scouting Department. He was named a Major League scout for the Royals on Aug. 16, 2006, before being promoted to Coordinator-Pro Scouting on Oct. 31, 2008 and to the Director-Pro Scouting in 2012.

Watson was honored by the Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation in January 2018, receiving the Legends in Scouting Award. The award is presented annually to a pro scout who exemplifies a love for the game and a passion for scouting.

He came to the Royals from the Florida Marlins’ organization, where he was a professional scout covering the AL and NL Central Divisions, as well as the Double-A Texas League for four years, including the Marlins’ 2003 World Series season. He worked with the San Diego Padres beginning in 1997 and then joined the Atlanta Braves in 2000, working under current Royals’ Sr. VP-Baseball Operations/General Manager Dayton Moore, covering a number of minor leagues, as well as evaluating the top amateur players. He has more than 25 years of experience covering Major League Spring Training, minor league scouting, and has scouted the Dominican, Venezuelan and Mexican winter leagues.

There's a lot to like about this guy. 

a few more.

XLfxr7Wj_bigger.jpg

3 important questions I ask any potential prospect: 1) What is your daily routine on and off the field? 2) What the most adverse situation you’ve ever been in? 3) What kind of teammate are you? These three answers say A LOT about the player you are, and potentially can be.

XLfxr7Wj_bigger.jpg

1. Tools, 2. Statistics, 3. Role, 4. Make up, 5. Risk. Every player, every day. Players, How do you stand in these areas?
Quote Tweet

A2GRC8Gj_mini.jpg

Next Level Baseball

@nextlevelbb
· Dec 9
Parents...I've been in a few pre-draft scouting meetings in my day. NEVER ONCE was a players RANKING discussed. NEVER ONCE was the opinion of a tournament/showcase/recruiting service discussed and/or even mentioned. NEVER ONCE! Don't be misled!

Gene Watson has a lot of high praise around the league.  Minasian is considered a very well-liked person who is deeply connected to a number of different organizations.  I'm really excited to watch him build out this FO.  It appears Arte is letting him build and expand, and in truth, that is the most exciting news of the entire offseason.  Moreso than any signing, trade, etc.

We have a large budget.  Let's watch Minasian build and create an excellent FO that can help this team be a legit contender for years to come.