• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Rule 5 Draft (Pirates select Jose Soriano, Angels select Jose Rivera)

Stradling

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think Marsh, Rodriguez, and Brady will be added. Soriano will not be, nor will Naughton.

Also have a feeling we see Minasian’s first trade today, though it will be very minor. 

Not sure about Naughton....he is little older, maybe not as likely as some to be over his head in the big leagues....I could see a team stashing him on the 25 man roster as a 12th pitcher type....being lefthanded doesn't hurt him either...having said all that, I am like @Stradling, not as well versed on prospects as some of you.

13 minutes ago, wopphil said:

How many roster spots are taken at the moment? How many guys could we theoretically add to the 40 man? I presume they will fill every spot, and then worry about making room on the roster as part of any later transactions. 

My understanding is they usually won’t fill every roster spot on the 40 man.  The reason for that is a player is less likely to be taken in the rule 5 draft, because he has to stay on the team all year, than they would be if they are released.  If they are released then another team can pick them up and stash them in the minors, if that makes sense.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My understanding is they usually won’t fill every roster spot on the 40 man.  The reason for that is a player is less likely to be taken in the rule 5 draft, because he has to stay on the team all year, than they would be if they are released.  If they are released then another team can pick them up and stash them in the minors, if that makes sense.  

I thought if the rule 5 pick was waived, they go back to their original team if the rule 5 player clears waivers (does not sign with any other team).

I wish there was some way to look stuff up without being required to go to the library.

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Good point, I forgot about that. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

With the Rona raging, and the unpredictability of what's the come next season.  I wonder if more people will be taken in the Rule 5.  It's supposed to be 26 players on the roster.  But if it's expanded to 28 or more again, that's 2+ you could take a chance on that are fringe players.

25 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

With the Rona raging, and the unpredictability of what's the come next season.  I wonder if more people will be taken in the Rule 5.  It's supposed to be 26 players on the roster.  But if it's expanded to 28 or more again, that's 2+ you could take a chance on that are fringe players.

It would not surprise me to see teams non tender guys today in order to keep more cheap guys and also flood the FA market.   The more guys available on the FA market the more it benefits the owners.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Not sure about Naughton....he is little older, maybe not as likely as some to be over his head in the big leagues....I could see a team stashing him on the 25 man roster as a 12th pitcher type....being lefthanded doesn't hurt him either...having said all that, I am like @Stradling, not as well versed on prospects as some of you.

He’s sort of on the fringe...I figure Minasian either really likes him and he’s an easy add due to our needs, or he’s an easy guy to leave off if he isn’t a fan. 

Is Dillon Peters out of options? I don’t think he’s arb-eligible yet, but if he’s out of options, Naughton probably is the perfect in-house replacement for him. 

Kind of disappointed they left Naughton off. He's the sort that gets picked in the draft and it isn't like the Angels don't already have a ton of dead weight on the 40 man roster. 

Bemboom, Robles, Reyes, Quijada, Peters, Milner, Keller, Bard, Andriese. 

A bunch of slop that won't get claimed on waivers.

But maybe they'll get lucky. Without a minor league season, perhaps it'll be a quiet, inactive rule 5 draft.

Edited by Second Base

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Kind of disappointed they left Naughton off. He's the sort that gets picked in the draft and it isn't like the Angels don't already have a ton of dead weight on the 40 man roster. 

Bemboom, Robles, Reyes, Quijada, Peters, Milner, Keller, Bard, Andriese. 

A bunch of slop that won't get claimed on waivers.

Naughton is entering his age 25 season and hasn't played a game at AAA as of yet.  Granted he probably would have this year.  He's basically a younger version of Peters.  

Exposing a guy to the rule 5 draft makes it much less likely that he gets picked than if they were have to waive him from the 40 man.  If you did the latter, you'd almost certainly lose him because he can be optioned.  

I'm down for leaving Minasian with as much roster flexibility as possible for now.  There could end up being a ton of cheap options available on the FA market.  

24 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Naughton is entering his age 25 season and hasn't played a game at AAA as of yet.  Granted he probably would have this year.  He's basically a younger version of Peters.  

Exposing a guy to the rule 5 draft makes it much less likely that he gets picked than if they were have to waive him from the 40 man.  If you did the latter, you'd almost certainly lose him because he can be optioned.  

I'm down for leaving Minasian with as much roster flexibility as possible for now.  There could end up being a ton of cheap options available on the FA market.  

I think every fan base has a tendency to overrate the desirability of their players.  If you skim other boards during this time, they usually do the same - list 5-6 guys they are sure will be protected, and then they only protect like maybe 2 of them.

Likely none of our players get picked via the rule 5 draft.  If the Angels, who really need pitching, have left Naughton unprotected, it likely says a lot about how other teams view him, too.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Certainly glad no one took Walsh a couple years back when he wasn’t picked.

No real surprises here, but Minasian didn’t seem to value much anyone else to protect. Could be a hint some guys get dealt this winter. 

Yeah, I mean Marsh and Rodriguez both have the upside you look for. I think it says a lot that they protected Rodriguez. If he were someone destined for A Ball again I doubt they would've had the patience. But being at instructs, Rodriguez is probably headed for AAA in 2021.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think every fan base has a tendency to overrate the desirability of their players.  If you skim other boards during this time, they usually do the same - list 5-6 guys they are sure will be protected, and then they only protect like maybe 2 of them.

Likely none of our players get picked via the rule 5 draft.  If the Angels, who really need pitching, have left Naughton unprotected, it likely says a lot about how other teams view him, too.

Naughton really isn't the sort I would be guilty of overrating. Guys like Soriano, Adams, Marsh, higher potential guys, I get rose colored glasses for. 

Naughton is what he is. A left handed starting pitcher that's probably big league ready and figures into the back half of the rotation. Like a left handed Jaime Barria of sorts, but with options. 

That last part is particularly important. The Angels need pitching, he's a decent pitcher and you can shuttle him between AAA and the majors. But now that he's exposed, you have to figure a rebuilding team like the Royals, Red Sox, Orioles, Giants, or Pirates are going to jump all over him.

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If Naughton is a younger Peters then replace Peters with Naughton. It's not like Peters has been in three years. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Naughton really isn't the sort I would be guilty of overrating. Guys like Soriano, Adams, Marsh, higher potential guys, I get rose colored glasses for. 

Naughton is what he is. A left handed starting pitcher that's probably big league ready and figures into the back half of the rotation. Like a left handed Jaime Barria of sorts, but with options. 

That last part is particularly important. The Angels need pitching, he's a decent pitcher and you can shuttle him between AAA and the majors. But now that he's exposed, you have to figure a rebuilding team like the Royals, Red Sox, Orioles, Giants, or Pirates are going to jump all over him.

The Angels should keep him just for his first name. I wonder what his nickname would have been from Scoscia?

14 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Certainly glad no one took Walsh a couple years back when he wasn’t picked.

No real surprises here, but Minasian didn’t seem to value much anyone else to protect. Could be a hint some guys get dealt this winter. 

dude.  certain cloud formations are a hint to you that there will be trades.  😉