• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Off-season Prediction Thread

Second Base

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

With a guy like Happ the money isnt a big deal. The risk is in the performance. The Angels have a decent amount of pitching depth at this point, but what they cannot afford is another Teheran type shitting the bed. 

we're pretty much in agreement, mostly i think that happ has pitched significantly better than teheran for a pretty long time now. that was my point about his time in NY not being as bad as you or other's may think.

happ had some injury problems in NY, but his composite numbers there are pretty nice 21-10 record, 4.13 era,  1.19 whip, 8 k/per9.

if he's healthy, then i think he's exactly the type of pitcher the angels could use and he doesn't break the bank or cost prospects. i notice j.a. happ has some more juice on all of his pitches still, so maybe he's more of a live arm than teheran.

julio teheran is a weird animal because he's so up and down with his performance. i wouldn't be surprised if he rebounds next year with whichever team signs him he pitches reliably again. 

What I wouldn't mind seeing. Free Agents/Non-tenders

SP - Walker, Paxton/DeScalfani/or Tyler Anderson, Jon Gray (if Non-tendered)/ or Mike Soroka (if Non-tendered)

RP - Hand, Rosenthal, **Grant Dayton (if Non-tendered), AJ Minter (if Non-tendered), Tyler Matzek (if Non-tendered) - Depends which of the Braves Lefties stay and are non-tendered. believe Minasian plucks some arms from the Braves, Giants *Wandy Peralta*, Nats due to family.**.

Super Sub - Enrique Hernandez/or IF - Johan Camargo (if Non-tendered)

SS - Semien/Ha-Seong Kim - sounds like a grinder like Flecther... I doubt he continues with the pop here in the States.

OF - Eddie Rosario (if Non-tendered)

Anthony Bass - RP - SPT Invite

Luke Jackson- RP - SPT Invite

Something like this, I see some SPT Invites and Non-tendered arms who have been in the bullpen with some of Minasian's other organizations depending on Non-tender free agents.

Maybe just a SP - Walker and one of DeScalfani/Anderson and a SS - Semien signing and maybe a C - McCann offseason? Which is kind of meh. But, saves some money, depending on MILB season in 2021 and gives some flexibility during the season if any of the arms step up. And meaningful starter innings from Ohtani who is a question mark to me at this time. I just don't see us dropping a ton of money without knowing how 2021 is going to shake out. 

Here's my final prediction.

1. SIgn Sugano, 30 mil over 3 years and the addition 20 mil for fees. (10 mil) 

Its seem like he's the 2nd best starter in the market, could be a 2 or 3. I see a big of Bundy (2020) and Maeda in him.

2.  Hernandez, 12 mil over 2 years.

I think hernandez is an under rated player, he really good at 2nd, and has above average bat. Plus he can hit anywhere in the line-up

3. rosenthal 12 mil over 2yrs.

He finally learned how to throw strikes again, fb velo is still elite, the slide is a wipeout pitch, his BB rate was at his career.

22 mil on 3 players.  

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Its seem like he's the 2nd best starter in the market, could be a 2 or 3. I see a big of Bundy (2020) and Maeda in him.

I think hernandez is an under rated player, he really good at 2nd, and has above average bat. Plus he can hit anywhere in the line-up

He finally learned how to throw strikes again, fb velo is still elite, the slide is a wipeout pitch, his BB rate was at his career.

22 mil on 3 players.  

I got laughed at for saying this about a previous prediction but I’d take off-season.

2 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

22 mil on 3 players.  

Might also need to sign a C....but I like your thinking....

13 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

22 mil on 3 players.  

I said this in the other thread, but I firmly believe we'll see significant additions to our catching pipeline.  We'll probably see, at the minimum, a significant backup added.  I do think we'll see Minasian swing a trade to acquire another team's catching prospect, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this should have its own thread, but maybe a thread or a post about “if this happens, would you be ok with this happening”.

So here it goes.  IF the Angels sign Bauer, would you then be ok with trading Detmers in a package for Snell?  With Bauer, Snell and Bauer, along with Canning, Heaney and Barria, I think it is a playoff rotation, and possibly even a team that could make a run.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Not sure if this should have its own thread, but maybe a thread or a post about “if this happens, would you be ok with this happening”.

So here it goes.  IF the Angels sign Bauer, would you then be ok with trading Detmers in a package for Snell?  With Bauer, Snell and Bauer, along with Canning, Heaney and Barria, I think it is a playoff rotation, and possibly even a team that could make a run.  

You forgot about our current ace Dylan Bundy!

But yes to answer your question, if the Angels sign Bauer I’d like to see them be aggressive on a cost controlled front of the line starter. 

I’d also prefer Heaney not be in the rotation at all but I realize that is a very unpopular opinion around here 

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

You forgot about our current ace Dylan Bundy!

But yes to answer your question, if the Angels sign Bauer I’d like to see them be aggressive on a cost controlled front of the line starter. 

I’d also prefer Heaney not be in the rotation at all but I realize that is a very unpopular opinion around here 

What’s crazy is I didn’t forget about him in my head when I was posting that, I guess my fingers didn’t type it, in other words I am and idoit.  

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I probably wouldn't, because we need a balance between cost-effective players and expensive players.

If Bauer is signed, it's. likely in the neighborhood of ~25mil/yr.  Snell is obviously undervalued at 10mil/yr AAV, but we need good, cheap pitching, too, and for now, we only have Detmers and Rodriguez on the immediate horizon as options.

If we signed Bauer, I would instead look to trade Adell in a package to secure a top young catching prospect and, perhaps, a #3/#4-type SP prospect.  Perhaps Minasian can call his former boss and see if he can work out a deal that involves Langeliers and one of their pitching prospects.

Consider - if we sign Bauer and trade for a SP3/SP4 prospect, then our future core is probably Bauer, one of Bundy/Heaney, Canning, SP3/SP4 prospect, and then probably can have one of Detmers/Rodriguez.  That'd be a good mix of pricey veterans and good, cheap youth.

1. Trade for Jose Iglesias

2. Non tender all of the bad arms in the pen, Robles, Andriese, Milner, Middleton, Bedrosian and Anderson (for injury concerns)

3. Sign Trevor Bauer to a Max Scherzer type deal. Try to pay him less in years 1-2 and more in years 3-7. 

4. Trade Brandon Marsh, Matt Thaiss, Andrew Heaney, & Reid Detmers to the Rockies for German Marquez and Charlie Blackmon and $5 M in 2021.

5. Sign Trevor Rosenthal. 3/21. 5m in 2021, 7 in 22, 9 in 23.

Total cost is $24 plus $7.5 plus $16 plus $5. Minus $6 for Andrew Heaney. This is around $46 M in additions. 

6. Win World Series 

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

If we're gonna add Bauer then I'd definitely make a move for another front line starter with the caveat that I'd allow one prospect from each of the following groups.  Adell/Marsh/Adams, Detmers/Kochanowicz/Rodriguez.  If Adell and Detmers can get us Marquez then I'm in.  Of course I would expect a couple additional guys to be included.  

Let's say that it was Adell, Detmers, Yan and Knowles for Marquez.  And let's say that Bauer's first year salary was 20m and then 25m in 2022.  and then 30m per for 2023-26 (ie 6/165)

Marquez is due 8, 11, 15, 16 option with 2.5m buyout.  

For 2021 you'd still have about 5m to complete the team which would be a bit rough considering where the pen is at and RF is still uncertain.  I'd be fine with a bargain option at C.  

In 2022, you'd be adding about 10m between Bauer and Marquez so their total is now about 35m.  Giving you maybe 15m to spend on other stuff but you'll definitely need a SS at least and you'll lose Heaney and Bundy as well.  

Depends on payroll  but that could start to get a little tight if trying to fill other needs for the next couple years.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If we're gonna add Bauer then I'd definitely make a move for another front line starter with the caveat that I'd allow one prospect from each of the following groups.  Adell/Marsh/Adams, Detmers/Kochanowicz/Rodriguez.  If Adell and Detmers can get us Marquez then I'm in.  Of course I would expect a couple additional guys to be included.  

Let's say that it was Adell, Detmers, Yan and Knowles for Marquez.  And let's say that Bauer's first year salary was 20m and then 25m in 2022.  and then 30m per for 2023-26 (ie 6/165)

Marquez is due 8, 11, 15, 16 option with 2.5m buyout.  

For 2021 you'd still have about 5m to complete the team which would be a bit rough considering where the pen is at and RF is still uncertain.  I'd be fine with a bargain option at C.  

In 2022, you'd be adding about 10m between Bauer and Marquez so their total is now about 35m.  Giving you maybe 15m to spend on other stuff but you'll definitely need a SS at least and you'll lose Heaney and Bundy as well.  

Depends on payroll  but that could start to get a little tight if trying to fill other needs for the next couple years.  

Wow, you think you’d have to give up both Adell and Detmers for Marquez?  I am just not familiar enough with him, so it sounds like a ton to give up for him.  At that point I would rather sign Bauer, give him even less in year one, and sign a guy like Paxton or Tanaka.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Wow, you think you’d have to give up both Adell and Detmers for Marquez?  I am just not familiar enough with him, so it sounds like a ton to give up for him.  At that point I would rather sign Bauer, give him even less in year one, and sign a guy like Paxton or Tanaka.  

I do.  Maybe I'm overvaluing him though because I see a ton of potential and four years of reasonable control while still only being 25.  He can absorb innings and has huge home/road splits.  Put that guy in the AL west and he's gonna thrive.  Like cy young level thrive.  

If we had a chance to get him without giving up one of Rodriguez, Koch or Detmers, and only one of Adell, Marsh or Adams, I would do that in a heart beat.  

I think Col is going to shop the hell out of Arrenado first though and only move Marquez if they can't find a new home for Nolan so it might take a while for them to even consider trading him.  

Paxton is an interesting name.  It'd nice to be in a spot where you need a 4th or 5th starter to take a flyer on because he'd be a great option for that.  But he's just so unreliable it would be tough for the Halos to commit a spot to him 

57 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I do.  Maybe I'm overvaluing him though because I see a ton of potential and four years of reasonable control while still only being 25.  He can absorb innings and has huge home/road splits.  Put that guy in the AL west and he's gonna thrive.  Like cy young level thrive.  

If we had a chance to get him without giving up one of Rodriguez, Koch or Detmers, and only one of Adell, Marsh or Adams, I would do that in a heart beat.  

I think Col is going to shop the hell out of Arrenado first though and only move Marquez if they can't find a new home for Nolan so it might take a while for them to even consider trading him.  

Paxton is an interesting name.  It'd nice to be in a spot where you need a 4th or 5th starter to take a flyer on because he'd be a great option for that.  But he's just so unreliable it would be tough for the Halos to commit a spot to him 

I agree with your assessment on Marquez - the dude is a stud and is cost-controlled for 4 years.  It would take Adell + Detmers to just start the conversation, and we'll likely have to kick in a good amount more, too.  Marquez has pitched really well, and he's done it in Coors, which is incredibly difficult to do.

As much as I would like Marquez, we aren't in position to gut our farm system to get him.  The only teams who can get Marquez are ones with a top farm system, or teams who are willing to also take on some of the bad contracts the Rockies have, in addition to sending over prospects.