• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ha-seong Kim for 2B/SS?

Chuck

Kiwoom Heroes general manager Chi-hyun Kim told reporters on Friday that he expects Ha-seong Kim to be posted shortly after Thanksgiving.

Kim is coming off a season with the Heroes which saw him bat .310/.402/.530 with 28 home runs and 103 RBI over 128 games. He also just turned 25, so major league teams theoretically will be paying for his prime years. The big question is whether Kim can play shortstop in the majors, as there's been some chatter that he might have to move to third or second base.

i imagine the angels name will be attached in the rumor mill because we need a 2b/ss, but i don't think the angels will really be in on this guy. i feel like they are looking to fill that position with an affordable established mlb'er and looking to avoid the pitfalls of signing an upside rookie.

36 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i imagine the angels name will be attached in the rumor mill because we need a 2b/ss, but i don't think the angels will really be in on this guy. i feel like they are looking to fill that position with an affordable established mlb'er and looking to avoid the pitfalls of signing an upside rookie.

That may be true, but if international scouts feel Kim is close to the talent of say Semien but will be half the cost, I'd rather go for the younger guy with upside than the veteran. 

While it's an intriguing option, I think we have to utilize our financial resources mainly for pitching.

Fletcher will likely play SS, and it should be very cheap to find a decent 2B option like Wong, Hernandez, etc.  Maybe a 2/10 type deal or something along those lines, whereas Kim is looking at a 4-5 year deal that averages 8-10mil/yr.

I would say our goal should be to fill any offensive holes on a budget (2B, backup C, LHH 4th OF-type player), while utilizing the bulk of our financial resources on pitching.  Fortunately, our holes on offense are areas that indeed can be filled cheaply, as the most expensive spots (CF, 3B, SS) are filled nicely by the players we already have.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

That may be true, but if international scouts feel Kim is close to the talent of say Semien but will be half the cost, I'd rather go for the younger guy with upside than the veteran. 

This
If we can fill the need with a less expensive options versus a Wong or Hernandez it allows the money to be spent elsewhere. 
Also hinges a lot on whether they see Fetcher's value as a full time SS vs 2B.  

If the Angels are going to use some of their money to get a middle infielder, they need to get someone that is proven and not use it on an unknown commodity.

Kim could be good, but he could also flop. At that point, you might as well go with Barreto/Jones/Rengifo and use the money towards pitching since all those guys have the same boom/bust potential that Kim has.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

i'd disagree. i'm on the other side completely. there is obviously the cost, which is a significant factor, but i don't believe the angels are going after semien either. if i am the gm my attitude towards the offense is just make sure it's at least as good as last year, and reduce the chances for regression because the offense is where i'm putting the least of my resources. in my mind, upside rookie is the opposite of that approach. it has high ceiling and very low floor. if i semien, le mahieu, or gregorius aren't an option because i don't have enough cheese to spread around, then i'm looking at hernandez, profar, schoop, wong and the like at the 2b side with not that many viable options at SS.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

While it's an intriguing option, I think we have to utilize our financial resources mainly for pitching.

Fletcher will likely play SS, and it should be very cheap to find a decent 2B option like Wong, Hernandez, etc.  Maybe a 2/10 type deal or something along those lines, whereas Kim is looking at a 4-5 year deal that averages 8-10mil/yr.

I would say our goal should be to fill any offensive holes on a budget (2B, backup C, LHH 4th OF-type player), while utilizing the bulk of our financial resources on pitching.  Fortunately, our holes on offense are areas that indeed can be filled cheaply, as the most expensive spots (CF, 3B, SS) are filled nicely by the players we already have.

is kim really looking for 32-50 million dollar deal? is that what's being thrown around? if so, then i amplify my previous statements. i can think of multiple scenarios where i'd spend 30-50 million dollars elsewhere. shit, i'd put that money towards a la mahieu offer before that.

48 minutes ago, ukyah said:

is kim really looking for 32-50 million dollar deal? is that what's being thrown around? if so, then i amplify my previous statements. i can think of multiple scenarios where i'd spend 30-50 million dollars elsewhere. shit, i'd put that money towards a la mahieu offer before that.

Fangraphs projected a 5 year, 60mil contract, and MLBTR projected a 5 year, 40mil contract.

So, basically, a 5 year deal that ranges between 8-12mil AAV.  At that price, I'd pass for sure.  MLBTR projects Wong at 2/16 and Cesar Hernandez at 1/6 - I would much rather take either of them, especially since they hit left-handed and can provide further lineup balance.  

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Fangraphs projected a 5 year, 60mil contract, and MLBTR projected a 5 year, 40mil contract.

So, basically, a 5 year deal that ranges between 8-12mil AAV.  At that price, I'd pass for sure.  MLBTR projects Wong at 2/16 and Cesar Hernandez at 1/6 - I would much rather take either of them, especially since they hit left-handed and can provide further lineup balance.  

That price may drop, he is young and may take some time but 6-8 million average from 25 to 30ish.  Others here know more but I’d be happy with Aybar right now. Fletcher needs to be at 2b.

15 hours ago, Warfarin said:

IF true, go Wong or Hernandez.  Both are proven, he is not... if hes to cost more???  no thanks

How is Ha-seong Kim's defense? Chuck's comment even stated "The big question is whether Kim can play shortstop in the majors, as there's been some chatter that he might have to move to third or second base." Everyone here is clamoring about his offense. Fletcher is not Simmons defensively where the Angles could use Simmons great defense to cover for a second or third base mans defensive flaws.   

depends on what they do with Rengifo.  Or what they think he can do.  Can't hand him the job without a backup or you could find yourself in a situation that Eppler had a tough time avoiding which is absolute crap out of a position.  If you trade him for a pitcher then it opens the door for player on a multi year deal like Kim.  If they are going to keep him then you need a gap bridge until he becomes productive.  Like a Hernandez, Wong or Profar.