• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which prospects will Minasian trade?

Second Base

It seems like the writing is on the wall. The Angels intend to win, and two of the biggest guns in the free agent market just accepted qualifying offers. Unless teams are willing to spend insane amounts of money, the trade market looks like it'll be the best opportunity to acquire the necessary talent. Line Eppler did with Bundy.

Minasian is reported to be quite the wizard with scouting, so it seems like a logical conclusion that he'll know who he intends to keep and intends to deal.

I know which prospects and players I'd be willing to part with, but I'd like to hear done alternative points of view. Who do you think he'll deal?

Like every trade scenario, if there's a prospect we want to keep, then that's the prospect teams will want.

The Bundy trade is an example of just how much we as fans hilariously overvalue our own prospects. Bundy was a sell-low candidate with a career 94 ERA+, and he cost FOUR pitching prospects. Whether you know their names or not is irrelevant, that's a pretty steep price. 

The market is going to be weird as hell, as has been stated many times. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the trade market is going to be incredibly active. If the Angels want to land a solid starter (or two, hopefully), I don't think Minasian is going to be able to dick around and offer the "Angelswin Special Package" of Rengifo, Maitan, Thaiss, and any prospect not named Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Adams, Rodriguez, or Kochanowicz.

Hopefully though, he can work his magic and get as much return as possible without completely decimating the farm system.

Though it needs to be stated, if we're gonna go another year without a MILB season, then who the hell knows if ANY prospects will have value.

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Though it needs to be stated, if we're gonna go another year without a MILB season, then who the hell knows if ANY prospects will have value.

This.  I think team will want more in terms of quantity of supposed quality prospects just to make what they think are equitable trades.  Trading for prospects always involves some risks, but trading for prospects who in many cases didn’t play this year really limits you ability to analyze.  As a result, I think you’ll see more movement of 25 man roster guys than minor league prospects.  

Edited by bruin5
Clarify language.

I think Adell's value to us has changed but it's likely no different to the Angels or any other team.  I think if he and maybe a couple other lesser guys were worth that you club controlled front line guy, he'd already be gone.  Maybe his league wide value went down a shade because giving him a shot actually proved what most teams already felt like they knew.  

It's clear that he's likely not a 2021 target.  And by that I mean any team with playoff aspirations in 2021 isn't likely to trade for him thinking you can just plug him in as your opening day RFer.  With expanded playoffs, that means any team with a chance of being .500 is essentially off the list unless the Angels relieve them of some untoward financial burden along with whatever else they get in return.  

More teams looking to upgrade and sneak into the playoffs means less supply on the trade market.  How many teams are essentially DOA for 2021?  The Pirates.  The Rangers.  Orioles, Tigers, Royals, Rockies.  Even a couple of those are questionable.  Which of the rest of the teams might trade away a good pitcher?  

Suddenly a guy like Musgrove becomes very valuable.  No one from that group is gonna trade young pitching.  They have no reason to.  

To me, the likely targets are guys who have a couple years and have under performed a bit relative to their current, somewhat expensive contract.  

I'm sure a bunch of guys with one year left will be available in trade and a depressed FA market could make them easier to acquire.  But the guys who are cheap and have more than two years just can't be had.  Unless of course they're guys  who Minasian sees something in and the other team doesn't realize a guys potential.  Someone who has really done much who he thinks could be more than he's been.  

It could be a couple of guys that make us scratch our heads a bit.  

It's hard to say.  I'm sure Minasian will view some of our prospects in a higher light than the previous regime and, likewise, some in a lower light.

Most new GMs are fairly active in trying to make some adjustments and changes in their first offseason.  This offseason, obviously, is a bit more challenging for him, given the current economic state of the game.

What I do look forward to, though, is seeing him potentially implementing different player development techniques and guidance than Eppler did.  It was definitely interesting to see the progression of Walsh, Ward, and others under Maddon - perhaps Maddon was allowed to play a bigger role in their development, and it worked out.  Hard to say for sure.

The Braves (and Blue Jays) are considered to be very good organizations when it comes to developing talent.  We do have a number of talented minor leaguers, but we've seen some mixed results when it comes to them performing well at the MLB level.  My hope is that Minasian's greatest impact comes in this area - player development.   The most successful organizations (Dodgers, Rays, A's, etc) aren't so much amazing at finding talent, but rather, at molding talent and helping them become very good players.

In that regard, I hope Adell spends a good chunk of the year in the minors, and I hope that we have a bit of a different system in place that can help him maximize his skills.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think Adell's value to us has changed but it's likely no different to the Angels or any other team.  I think if he and maybe a couple other lesser guys were worth that you club controlled front line guy, he'd already be gone.  Maybe his league wide value went down a shade because giving him a shot actually proved what most teams already felt like they knew.  

It's clear that he's likely not a 2021 target.  And by that I mean any team with playoff aspirations in 2021 isn't likely to trade for him thinking you can just plug him in as your opening day RFer.  With expanded playoffs, that means any team with a chance of being .500 is essentially off the list unless the Angels relieve them of some untoward financial burden along with whatever else they get in return.  

More teams looking to upgrade and sneak into the playoffs means less supply on the trade market.  How many teams are essentially DOA for 2021?  The Pirates.  The Rangers.  Orioles, Tigers, Royals, Rockies.  Even a couple of those are questionable.  Which of the rest of the teams might trade away a good pitcher?  

Suddenly a guy like Musgrove becomes very valuable.  No one from that group is gonna trade young pitching.  They have no reason to.  

To me, the likely targets are guys who have a couple years and have under performed a bit relative to their current, somewhat expensive contract.  

I'm sure a bunch of guys with one year left will be available in trade and a depressed FA market could make them easier to acquire.  But the guys who are cheap and have more than two years just can't be had.  Unless of course they're guys  who Minasian sees something in and the other team doesn't realize a guys potential.  Someone who has really done much who he thinks could be more than he's been.  

It could be a couple of guys that make us scratch our heads a bit.  

I wonder if there is a window for a new GM to maximize their objectivity and outside knowledge in making some bold moves?  It seems that a new GM will not have the attachment to prospects that the organization or the fans do and would be more willing to make a deal.  Eppler's initial move to obtain Simmons is one example I am thinking about.  As a complete guess, it would not surprise me to see Minasian develop a big trade involving young players we have grown attached to these past few years.

No idea. We (or I) just don't know enough about Minasian to get a sense of his tactical approach. For instance, traditional scouting has always loved Adell over Marsh, but there's an argument to be made that Marsh is an equal or even slightly better prospect, especially after we saw the enormous holes in Adell's game. Minasian could sneakily prop up Adell as the Angels' premier prospect and act like he's willing to trade Marsh but not Adell, and then get something he really wants for Adell.

I don't think he'll trade Detmers, Rodriguez, or Kochanowicz. Those are the Angels three best pitching prospects, and the first two could be on the big league club as soon as late next year. When your main need is quality club-controlled pitching, you just don't trade guys like that. Koch has tons of upside and hasn't pitched professional ball yet, so he's not someone you trade until you see how his arsenal translates.

I also don't think he'll trade the really young position players like Ramirez, Vera, Paris, and Calabrese. Similarly with Koch, they need some or more minor league time to better assess their upside.

I could see him packaging one of Marsh, Adell, or Adams, along with someone like Knowles or Deveaux and maybe Soriano or Suarez for a good young pitcher, or a Musgrove. But again, if he evaluates Adams and sees him as a future star, he might prefer to bargain hunt or stick to free agency.

I personally hope the Angels don't trade any of their better prospects--say, Adell, Marsh, Detmers, Rodriguez, Koch, Vera, Ramirez, Paris, Calabrese--and go after free agents and bargain trades. Come July, they can make a package for a Musgrove or some other starter, if they need one. At that point we should have a better sense of a lot of our prospects.

13 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think with a new GM that all prospects are available. Since the Angels need arms then I wouldn't mind seeing Adell go if it was for a top arm with control. 

And to everyone thinking Adell's value took a dump, It really didn't so chill. 

Very true indeed. But, given his struggles this season...the interest will come from clubs thinking they can "buy low"...                                                                                                                                                                                            https://metsjunkies.com/2020/11/11/mets-trade-target-jo-adell/

4 hours ago, eligrba said:

I wonder if there is a window for a new GM to maximize their objectivity and outside knowledge in making some bold moves?  It seems that a new GM will not have the attachment to prospects that the organization or the fans do and would be more willing to make a deal.  Eppler's initial move to obtain Simmons is one example I am thinking about.  As a complete guess, it would not surprise me to see Minasian develop a big trade involving young players we have grown attached to these past few years.

One of the benefits of bring someone in from the outside is their knowledge of players and the game is different.  Minasian has his own opinions I’m sure.  We’ll see how it plays out.

I don't think Adell gets traded.

First, you rarely see top 10 MLB prospects get traded. I can't think of one but I'm sure it has happened. Secondly, I don't think the Angels get the value they would want because of how poorly he played.

I think Adell starts the season in SLC if there is a MiLB season.

3 hours ago, Yes We Can said:

I don't think Adell gets traded.

First, you rarely see top 10 MLB prospects get traded. I can't think of one but I'm sure it has happened. Secondly, I don't think the Angels get the value they would want because of how poorly he played.

I think Adell starts the season in SLC if there is a MiLB season.

Dansby Swanson. 

5 hours ago, khouse said:

Very true indeed. But, given his struggles this season...the interest will come from clubs thinking they can "buy low"...                                                                                                                                                                                            https://metsjunkies.com/2020/11/11/mets-trade-target-jo-adell/

the anti-AW trade.  looks like AW and Mets Junkies have the same crack supplier.  

lol

Lol