Jump to content
  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
    Click on the image above to donate!

Recommended Posts


VINTAGE. BASEBALL. STORY. 
Visit Big Fly Gear to get your baseball apparel today!

Just wondering - What is the Qualifying Offer amount this year for Free-agent players? Has there been any change because of the Covid-19? I know that many organizations are hurting because of the loss of attendance revenue. Also, weren't the players salaries prorated this last season?

Does any of this have any affect on the players QO's for this coming off season?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

Just wondering - What is the Qualifying Offer amount this year for Free-agent players? Has there been any change because of the Covid-19? I know that many organizations are hurting because of the loss of attendance revenue. Also, weren't the players salaries prorated this last season?

Does any of this have any affect on the players QO's for this coming off season?

Thanks

This year the QO is 18.9 million so it looks like it went up 1.1 million from last year.I don't believe any changes from Covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the projection of limited fans at venues for at least half the season should suppress a lot of contracts for anything but top tier talent.

In Stroman's case he could get a four year deal but on a back loaded deal or no one commits multiyear. Waiting a year may not reap much more money and years and there is always the injury or off year to devalue any future contract. In his case it is all risk no matter which he chooses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to be an ahole, but did you really need to make a new post about this? 

Lets just keep it in one post that talks about the free agents, rather than creating a new post. Ots keeps everything in order, and we can still talk about it. 

 

Also Kluber should be plan C or D, he's coming back from shoulder surgery, which is worst than Tj, and he hasn't been the same pitcher the past 2 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Not trying to be an ahole, but did you really need to make a new post about this? 

Lets just keep it in one post that talks about the free agents, rather than creating a new post. Ots keeps everything in order, and we can still talk about it. 

 

Also Kluber should be plan C or D, he's coming back from shoulder surgery, which is worst than Tj, and he hasn't been the same pitcher the past 2 years. 

Kluber and Chris Archer C and D

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blarg said:

They way I look at is, if there was a year to consider giving up a draft pick, this would be it. None of the college or high school kids got any real field instruction or play.

Hmm, I definitely think the opposite.  2020 draft was only 5 rounds.  Such low turnover on college rosters will squeeze a lot of good high school graduate talent into going to juco and therefore they'll be draft eligible freshmen.  Also there's close to two full years worth of 4 year guys eligible (3rd year sophomores plus all the undrafted/unsigned 4th year juniors).

On a raw talent basis, the 2021 draft will be loaded in a way not seen in a long time.  Yes development has slowed, of course, but the raw talent will be strong with the unusually large pool of players eligible.

Not a time to give up any kind of early draft pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Angels will get their #8 pick no matter what. The question is whether the #45ish pick is worth losing for a free agent, and it really depends upon what happens early in the offseason. If the Angels make a trade and/or sign Gausman and Richards, signing Stroman isn't necessary. But if they miss out on other targets, they might be more inclined to lose that pick and pick up Stroman.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think accepting that QO would be an easy choice for Stroman. Every team send to be scaling back payroll and you've got a 1/18 offer on the table from what may be a decent team. He can take the offer, and hit FA again next year after having a chance to read the market.

I get the feeling that if he doesn't accept it, he may end up signing for something like 1/7 in March. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels will get their #8 pick no matter what. The question is whether the #45ish pick is worth losing for a free agent

But this is exactly my point.  #8 overall is a high end talent in any year.  However, that #45-ish pick in the 2021 draft pool may be talent-equivalent to a top 25 pick in other years.  And so on for the 3rd/4th pick, etc.

Those "loseable" draft picks (the Angels 2nd through 4th picks can be forfeited for signing QO-rejecting free agents) have quite a bit higher value this year.

Edited by Lazorko Saves
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I think accepting that QO would be an easy choice for Stroman. Every team send to be scaling back payroll and you've got a 1/18 offer on the table from what may be a decent team. He can take the offer, and hit FA again next year after having a chance to read the market.

I get the feeling that if he doesn't accept it, he may end up signing for something like 1/7 in March. 

i don't believe that is even remotely likely. if so, then that will inform my thinking of current economics so far beyond baseball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The Angels will get their #8 pick no matter what. The question is whether the #45ish pick is worth losing for a free agent, and it really depends upon what happens early in the offseason. If the Angels make a trade and/or sign Gausman and Richards, signing Stroman isn't necessary. But if they miss out on other targets, they might be more inclined to lose that pick and pick up Stroman.

Gausman got a QO so scratch him off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...