Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

Cam Bedrosian elects free agency, Jacob Barnes claimed off waivers by the Mets


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

welp, we're gone the cheap route. 

Career era of 3.7, your telling me that isn't worth 2-3 mil? 

That was already a little expensive for someone who had pretty regular durability issues. It’s replaceable for far cheaper, and their is likely going to be a ton of similar pitchers non-tendered and cheaper this winter due to the game’s financial climate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I may be in the minority but I'm actually surprised about Cam. He has been pretty solid the last few years as someone in low-leverage situations.

He's the product of too much hype. He's been a disappointing but effective reliever. I don't think Maddon is a big fan... only getting into 11 out of 60 games this year despite how trash the pen was. Despite that he still logged 0.2 war which kept him on his 2019 pace of just under 1 war annually, which in most years would be worth at least $5-$7m on the open market. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That was already a little expensive for someone who had pretty regular durability issues. It’s replaceable for far cheaper, and their is likely going to be a ton of similar pitchers non-tendered and cheaper this winter due to the game’s financial climate. 

I suppose there is a lot of room around the edges here, but ~$3m is not a huge payout for what we should reliably expect from Cam, when you consider the cost of replacing him. Obviously it's possible that this offseason finds effective relievers signing for around league minimum but I'm skeptical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

That was already a little expensive for someone who had pretty regular durability issues. It’s replaceable for far cheaper, and their is likely going to be a ton of similar pitchers non-tendered and cheaper this winter due to the game’s financial climate. 

Averaged 40 games the past 4 years, outside 2020, while having a career era of 3.70. That's  worth 3 mil! 

We've had player players get 10+ mil, to make a few appearance and have an ERA over 6. That is bad. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Averaged 40 games the past 4 years, outside 2020, while having a career era of 3.70. That's  worth 3 mil! 

We've had player players get 10+ mil, to make a few appearance and have an ERA over 6. That is bad. 

Most teams should be able to do that with someone making league minimum or so, maybe $1m annually, like Noe. In fact, I would think Noe probably isn’t too far from from that, while making a third of the money. 

Barnes is good example himself. Norris. David Hernandez. Felix Pena. You can find good cheap pen production. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the optics don't look good of DFA'ing a reliever projected to make 3mil, I think the bigger issue for both Bedrosian and Barnes was that both were out of options.

Options, for relievers, are very important.  If they aren't good or are ineffective, you can just shuttle them down to AAA and try to find someone who is pitching better.

We already have several relievers who can't be optioned.  It's hard to construct a bullpen full of those guys.

Personally, I would have liked to have kept Cam, but I can see the desire to somewhat purge relievers without options if they aren't consistently effective.  

With those 2 now gone, in terms of relievers without options, we have Robles, Mayers, Andriese, Ramirez, and Peters.  I expect Peters to be an easy DFA/non-tender.  Robles is someone who is also likely getting non-tendered, but who knows.

If both of those 2 are gone, then we only have 3 relievers who have to remain on the roster, and at least one of them was fantastic last year, with Andriese showing a lot of promise too.  It makes for a more fluid bullpen situation, and as many teams can attest to, bullpens are incredibly volatile, so it's good to have that kind of flexibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Averaged 40 games the past 4 years, outside 2020, while having a career era of 3.70. That's  worth 3 mil! 

We've had player players get 10+ mil, to make a few appearance and have an ERA over 6. That is bad. 

That's because he let other pitchers' runners score. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

While the optics don't look good of DFA'ing a reliever projected to make 3mil, I think the bigger issue for both Bedrosian and Barnes was that both were out of options.

Options, for relievers, are very important.  If they aren't good or are ineffective, you can just shuttle them down to AAA and try to find someone who is pitching better.

We already have several relievers who can't be optioned.  It's hard to construct a bullpen full of those guys.

Personally, I would have liked to have kept Cam, but I can see the desire to somewhat purge relievers without options if they aren't consistently effective.  

With those 2 now gone, in terms of relievers without options, we have Robles, Mayers, Andriese, Ramirez, and Peters.  I expect Peters to be an easy DFA/non-tender.  Robles is someone who is also likely getting non-tendered, but who knows.

If both of those 2 are gone, then we only have 3 relievers who have to remain on the roster, and at least one of them was fantastic last year, with Andriese showing a lot of promise too.  It makes for a more fluid bullpen situation, and as many teams can attest to, bullpens are incredibly volatile, so it's good to have that kind of flexibility.

How about Pena?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Most teams should be able to do that with someone making league minimum or so, maybe $1m annually, like Noe. In fact, I would think Noe probably isn’t too far from from that, while making a third of the money. 

Barnes is good example himself. Norris. David Hernandez. Felix Pena. You can find good cheap pen production. 

They should be, but what is our success rate on that? We likely replace Cam with 2 DFA tryouts, one of which probably has Cams production and the other who flames out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

  Robles is someone who is also likely getting non-tendered, but who knows.

 

I cannot imagine a realistic scenario in which he's tendered a contract--especially given what has happened with the declined options for other relievers in the past couple days.  There's a massive devaluation occurring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mmc changed the title to Cam Bedrosian elects free agency, Jacob Barnes claimed off waivers by the Mets

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...