• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brad Hand ?

Angels better put in a claim if they are serious about contending next season.  I don't see any downside of putting in a claim.  Even if he turns out to be like Fuentes, that's still a solid reliever and the Angels need solid relievers.  If the Angels fall out of contention, they can flip him for a prospect.  If they don't, then Arte's being cheap and I don't have much hope for the offseason.

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Angels better put in a claim if they are serious about contending next season.  I don't see any downside of putting in a claim.  Even if he turns out to be like Fuentes, that's still a solid reliever and the Angels need solid relievers.  If the Angels fall out of contention, they can flip him for a prospect. 

The downside would be paying him $10M next year.

Let’s not forget how Mike Mayers pitched as the closer in September.

His pitch sequencing should allow him to pitch similarly to that in 2021, and is much cheaper than Hand or Hendricks.

Big thing is to look for a couple of backend relievers to join Mayers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Let’s not forget how Mike Mayers pitched as the closer in September.

His pitch sequencing should allow him to pitch similarly to that in 2021, and is much cheaper than Hand or Hendricks.

Big thing is to look for a couple of backend relievers to join Mayers.

We need more then one shut down reliever. 

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

There is nothing to lose from claiming  Hand.  At worst he flops, but he's only on the team for one year. At best he is a lockdown closer, and depending on where we are, we can trade him or keep him. 

Factually incorrect

26 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

We tied for the ML lead with 12 blown saves, out of 60 games.  If we had cut it to 8 blown saves, we'd have made the playoffs.  Bauer to start, Hand or Hendriks to relieve.  Please.

This isn’t necessarily true.  The Angels won 6 of their blown save games.  

Another thing, this shows how motivated Cleveland is to save money, and that’s something to keep in mind considering Lindor* deals. Whether this makes keeping him more likely or less likely in 2021 is TBD, but it’s a sign regardless that Cleveland is working on a tight budget.

*Any Lindor move, in my mind, includes a young pitcher coming back to Anaheim too. From CLE or elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This isn’t necessarily true.  The Angels won 6 of their blown save games.  

Exactly.  Blown saves are a pretty useless stat, since you can get a "blown save" by coming into a game in the 6th inning with a one-run lead and giving up a run.  And there can be multiple blown saves in a single game that you win... Doesn't really measure how effective your bullpen is overall.

Just now, failos said:

Lindor is a stud, but I wouldn't trade with the Indians. They are notorious swindlers.

I don't want Lindor, I'm just saying you're implying something is wrong with Hand because they don't want to pay him, when they don't want to pay Lindor either

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

I don't want Lindor, I'm just saying you're implying something is wrong with Hand because they don't want to pay him, when they don't want to pay Lindor either

Understandable.

The Indians are really good at developing pitchers, so I'm definitely going to be skeptical if they don't want Hand.

Of course, the most likely explanation is that they don't want to pay him the $10M.