• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Anyone else see a surprising number of qualified offers in relation to the amount of players being cut from reasonable contracts?

The only one that really surprised me was Gausman.  The Realmuto and Stroman moves were kind of a given for me because those teams traded players to get them.  Springer at 18.9 mil is less than he was set to make in 2020.  Bauer was always going to get one and DJ coming off a 177 OPS+ is a good bet.  I was actually more surprised Houston didn't offer one to Brantley.  He was one of the few Astros that didn't see their performance fall off a cliff.  That team 94 OPS+ already needs help.

But yeah, its shaping up to be an ugly winter for FAs.

It's going to be ugly for the Astros since they have to decide if they are to invest in one more shot or start rebuilding. Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel are all free agents. Verlander is out but it's his last year along with Grienke that is going the Weaver route and throwing 67 mph curves. That was their front line pitchers and although they have a couple of young studs, there are holes to fill in the rotation. They have money to spend but then again, Covid may eliminate gate money. 

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only one that really surprised me was Gausman.  The Realmuto and Stroman moves were kind of a given for me because those teams traded players to get them.  Springer at 18.9 mil is less than he was set to make in 2020.  Bauer was always going to get one and DJ coming off a 177 OPS+ is a good bet.  I was actually more surprised Houston didn't offer one to Brantley.  He was one of the few Astros that didn't see their performance fall off a cliff.  That team 94 OPS+ already needs help.

But yeah, its shaping up to be an ugly winter for FAs.

I figured SF would tender a QO. They have plenty of financial flexibility and have been willing to assume salary of late. They had a need in their rotation. If Gausman is pitching well, he’s an easy deadline deal for prospects. Sucks because I do think he would have been a good target, but had a feeling he would be this year’s Odorizzi.

Bright side is the Giants seem to like our prospects so maybe we match up midseason. If they wind up signing him to a multi-year deal instead of the QO, could be a good move to watch for. 

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

It's going to be ugly for the Astros since they have to decide if they are to invest in one more shot or start rebuilding. Springer, Brantley, Reddick, Gurriel are all free agents. Verlander is out but it's his last year along with Grienke that is going the Weaver route and throwing 67 mph curves. That was their front line pitchers and although they have a couple of young studs, there are holes to fill in the rotation. They have money to spend but then again, Covid may eliminate gate money. 

I believe they extended Gurriel for two more years.  That being said they are absolutely in a weird situation.  They have a bunch of money tied up in Bregman and Altuve.  They have Kyle Tucker who’s going to be a stud and Yordan.  They had a couple of young guys pitch well in the playoffs.  They’d probably be better off trading guys like Greinke, Correa and McCullers.  

I sure hope that the Angels don't eventually regret not responding to Troy's son Cole Percival's effort to land a $20,000 undrafted free-agent contract with the Angels. Cole got a minor contract with the Dogs. That all came after UCR told Cole there was unlikely to be a Highlanders baseball season. At least I think that's what I read in the Times .

laa.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueLos Angeles Angels

What they could do: Find some better friends for Mike Trout.

What we predict they will do: Sign Marcus Semien, James Paxton, Rick Porcello and Brad Hand.

The Angels haven't hired a general manager yet, but whoever gets the job will have the tough task of turning around a franchise that has had five straight losing seasons -- and went 26-34 in 2020 despite having two of the top 10 position players in the game on its roster. While the payroll is already high, the Angels do get to clear Albert Pujols ($30 million) off the books after 2021 and Justin Upton ($51M over the next two seasons) after 2022. Still, with two major-ticket items in Trout and Rendon, I don't expect the Angels to be playing in the Bauer or Realmuto markets. Semien would replace the departed Andrelton Simmons (David Fletcher could play there, but he fits best at second base), Hand would fill a need at closer, Porcello provides durability and Paxton provides upside.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30256874/predicting-offseason-moves-all-30-mlb-teams

On 11/3/2020 at 5:56 AM, Stradling said:

I believe they extended Gurriel for two more years.  That being said they are absolutely in a weird situation.  They have a bunch of money tied up in Bregman and Altuve.  They have Kyle Tucker who’s going to be a stud and Yordan.  They had a couple of young guys pitch well in the playoffs.  They’d probably be better off trading guys like Greinke, Correa and McCullers.  

two more years of arb for Gurriel.  

I can't imagine anyone taking on Greinke in this market with a 35m tag and at age 37.  

Correa had a 92 ops+ coming off the scandal.  Who's gonna buy that he'll perform unless he does.  Could be a deadline guy to move.  

McCullers is probably their best short term asset.  They should re-sign him.  He is a douche nozzle though. 

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

What we predict they will do: Sign Marcus Semien, James Paxton, Rick Porcello and Brad Hand.

The Angels haven't hired a general manager yet, but whoever gets the job will have the tough task of turning around a franchise that has had five straight losing seasons -- and went 26-34 in 2020 despite having two of the top 10 position players in the game on its roster. While the payroll is already high, the Angels do get to clear Albert Pujols ($30 million) off the books after 2021 and Justin Upton ($51M over the next two seasons) after 2022. Still, with two major-ticket items in Trout and Rendon, I don't expect the Angels to be playing in the Bauer or Realmuto markets. Semien would replace the departed Andrelton Simmons (David Fletcher could play there, but he fits best at second base), Hand would fill a need at closer, Porcello provides durability and Paxton provides upside.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30256874/predicting-offseason-moves-all-30-mlb-teams

Thanks, Redondo.  I’ll take that offseason, btw.

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

if thats what we do, we might as well not bother...

35 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Justin Turner not being punished by MLB is a total joke. Manford is spineless and is on track to be one of the worst commissioners MLB has ever had.

Any reports of Dodgers with Covid?  Maybe he’s thinking no harm no foul.

4 hours ago, Redondo said:

8BWmpdu.jpg