• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If he is the DH.  Couldn't he run out and warmup in the bullpen while the Angel's are out in the field?  Just guessing

Right now, no, they’d have to change the rules.  Not that having the rules change is that difficult, they were going to change the rules to let him get rehab starts in the minors while still technically being on the active roster.  But he would warm up, then he would come out and 40% of the time he would bat, be on the bases or be in the on deck circle, before he has to go out and throw 8 warm up pitches and pitch the next inning.  This is another example of fans just asking too much.  

11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If he is the DH.  Couldn't he run out and warmup in the bullpen while the Angel's are out in the field?  Just guessing

Under ordinary conditions, maybe (not sure on the rules)? But it would be somewhat dependent on where they are in the lineup. It's just one of those things where we fans forget there are other considerations.

Fletcher has said in the past it isn't a possibility (may be misremembering but I think he also checked with the team on that one and it was confirmed). Given that, I think we need to stop discussing it as a feasible possibility until it's actually brought up by the team as a legitimate suggestion. 

No way they move Castillo unless they get a king's ransom.  

15 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd give my left nut for Castillo. I can't imagine we're a match there. Most teams aren't.

btw, I've always considered this to be a bit of an empty promise as long as you've got the other one.  

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Knowing our luck, they'll trade him to the Mets for two relievers and a utility prospect, essentially equating to Buttrey, Cole, and Kevin Maitan.

But they'll ask the Angels for Marsh, Adell, Detmers, and C-Rod.

I hate baseball.

and the Mets will sign Bauer.  

9 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I mean, I'd be fine trading tdawg's left nut.

I strongly advise against it, as this would likely impact impact the balance of his bunk and definitely impact the angle of his bat which we shall need for the stretch drive.  Tdawg would need more pine tar to fully complete the championship push.  It’s a slippery slope to failure.

6 minutes ago, Revad said:

I strongly advise against it, as this would likely impact impact the balance of his bunk and definitely impact the angle of his bat which we shall need for the stretch drive.  Tdawg would need more pine tar to fully complete the championship push.  It’s a slippery slope to failure.

Wait.  Aren’t things approximately half as slippery if you lose one nut?

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Knowing our luck, they'll trade him to the Mets for two relievers and a utility prospect, essentially equating to Buttrey, Cole, and Kevin Maitan.

But they'll ask the Angels for Marsh, Adell, Detmers, and C-Rod.

I hate baseball.

Plus your left nut. That would asking just too much.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Just reading into everything I've seen from Minasian/Maddon, my guess is they are not going to sign Bauer.  And the more I think about it, the better.

Spread the money around, and don't sign free agent pitchers coming off career years to mega deal, such as what Bauer just had.

I'm all for trading for a SP and trying to find a solid mid-rotation option in FA.

Minasian is building a very strong FO and has already made some very savvy moves.  I have faith he'll approach this correctly and improve our rotation significantly.

I get this same impression as well, and I also agree with it.

Spreading the money around not only allows them to add in different areas of the roster, but it also gives them greater flexibility. If you give Bauer 25-30 million a year for 4-6 years and he flops, you are stuck with him and his contract becomes a burden that prevents you from adding to other areas for those 4-6 years.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I get this same impression as well, and I also agree with it.

Spreading the money around not only allows them to add in different areas of the roster, but it also gives them greater flexibility. If you give Bauer 25-30 million a year for 4-6 years and he flops, you are stuck with him and his contract becomes a burden that prevents you from adding to other areas for those 4-6 years.

It doesn't become a burden at all. Even after 2020 the payroll starts clearing up. The Angels could give him $25M for 4yr and not worry about being tied up. 

I do agree that they might not sign him. I feel like they'll talk and give him an offer but they won't get into a bidding war. Let's say they offer 4yr/$100M and then discuss what the front office has to offer, the coaching staff, and the scouting/analytical, they'll have Trout or someone chat with him then they'll say take it or leave it. 

They'll make an offer, but the offer won't change. 

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

It doesn't become a burden at all. Even after 2020 the payroll starts clearing up. The Angels could give him $25M for 4yr and not worry about being tied up. 

I do agree that they might not sign him. I feel like they'll talk and give him an offer but they won't get into a bidding war. Let's say they offer 4yr/$100M and then discuss what the front office has to offer, the coaching staff, and the scouting/analytical, they'll have Trout or someone chat with him then they'll say take it or leave it. 

They'll make an offer, but the offer won't change. 

I think Bauer is going to want more than 4/$100M.

Payroll does clear up after 2020, but the Angels will also need to re-sign or replace Bundy and Heaney.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Bauer is going to want more than 4/$100M.

Payroll does clear up after 2020, but the Angels will also need to re-sign or replace Bundy and Heaney.

This reminds me of discussion last year of extending Simba and reducing his 2020 salary in order to add more talent.  Angels could extend Bundy or Heaney this year and do that.