• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Angel Trade.JPG

Just wondering if the Heyward contract would be a way to get a good amount of talent without giving up the farm?  Heyward's deal is, of course, a ridiculous contract.  But he is actually a serviceable player.

That’s like $50m added in ‘21 salary...

17 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I don't understand these comments. Why would the Halos sign Matt Andriese at 2M when they DFA him at 1.3M?

He wasn't the part they wanted. And they sure aren't going to give him a raise if they do bring him back in the future or invite him to SPT.

He wasn’t projected to get 1.3 M.

It was 1.8 to 2.8 so revise my Above to be 1.25.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Angel Trade.JPG

Just wondering if the Heyward contract would be a way to get a good amount of talent without giving up the farm?  Heyward's deal is, of course, a ridiculous contract.  But he is actually a serviceable player.

The Cubs would never make this trade

14 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Jon Morosi said the Mets are focused on Springer and also a target for an Arenado trade. 

Could give leverage to the Angels for Bauer if true. But also feel like a team like San Diego would swoop in and get him. 

I also feel like San Francisco could be a team that swoops in for Bauer. They have shown a willingness to spend money on pitchers in the past, they've stated they want to add more pitching, and they're a very analytical team with smart coaches, which would likely be very appealing to Bauer. Also, his agent/significant other(?) is from the Bay Area and grew up a Giants fan.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

The Cubs would never make this trade

Fantasyland. Way too much money. The team gets much older. Heywards contract is dead money. Cub fans would revolt giving up Hendricks & Rizzo. I would rather the Angels put Walsh in rf, have Thaiss platoon with Albert at first base.  Thaiss can also backup 3rd base when needed. We should remember this org does not pass the tax threshold. At least not in the last 15 years. Plus they like to keep $5-10 mil aside for the trade deadline. This is the same structure every year.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Kind of says what we're all discussing. Do we spend $25+ million on Bauer and have little else to spend, or do we try to get Odorizzi for $10 million and swing a trade for Gray? 

Personally, I would prefer the latter.  The combined effect of Gray plus Odorizzi on this team would have a more beneficial impact than just Bauer alone, IMO.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Personally, I would prefer the latter.  The combined effect of Gray plus Odorizzi on this team would have a more beneficial impact than just Bauer alone, IMO.

I guess it depends on how much we truly have to spend. If it's $30 million, Bauer himself takes pretty much all of that, leaving very little for a RF, C, and solid bullpen piece. 

Gray is going to cost a lot, but if Cincy is really trying to shed payroll I think we're a good match.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Minasian tried to get Gray in the Iglesias trade and The Reds were asking for too much. 

Regardless, this team needs to stop trying to piece together a rotation using flyers and prayers. We need some staples, especially with Bundy and Heaney being FA in 2022. Getting sick of the pen having to pitch 5 innings a game and getting completely taxed by midseason.

Fucking hell. We got Rendon last year for a reason. We gave Trout a massive extension for a reason. Allocate some of this fucking money towards the fucking pitching staff. 

I swear if we get Realmuto I'm going to drive all the way to Anaheim to cough on Arte.

17 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Shit... They really are gunna sign a #3 guy then trade for Gray aren't they? 

One day we will have an Ace.... One day....

I wouldn't focus too heavily on an ace.  Bauer, after all, himself hasn't really been an ace half the time.

I think what is more important is someone who can go out and give good, consistent starts.  Maybe not "ace" like, but with our offense and improved defense, we just need SPs who can be effective 2s/3s.  We don't necessarily "need" an ace.

An ace, btw, does not guarantee anything.  Bieber, last year's undisputed "ace," got absolutely destroyed in his one playoff start.  Clayton Kershaw for many years was absolutely utterly dominant in the playoffs, only to be a shell of his normal self come playoff time.

Again, I would personally take Gray + Odorizzi over Bauer and nobody else.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I guess it depends on how much we truly have to spend. If it's $30 million, Bauer himself takes pretty much all of that, leaving very little for a RF, C, and solid bullpen piece. 

I think it's reasonable to assume Arte isn't going to spend tons and tons of money this offseason.  He'll increase the budget from last year, but he isn't going to drop 50mil + in a single offseason in terms of yearly payroll growth.

Bauer is likely to cost somewhere in the 25-30mil range.  Likely, for the cost of Bauer, we can get Gray, Odorizzi, and probably a backup catcher or modest corner OF for the exact same yearly cost.  

If we were one or two pieces away, by all means, I'd go for Bauer.  But we all know we aren't, that we have multiple holes to fill, and so it is best to spread around money to solve as much as possible.

It will cost us some prospects to get Gray and whomever else, but that's just the reality of our situation.  Fortunately, it appears that Minasian is greatly strengthening our scouting and analytics department, so my hope is that whatever we may lose in terms of prospect talent via trade, we can replace in the upcoming years and international drafts with good, solid drafts/signings.