• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

21 hours ago, Hubs said:

No second round pick but likely two of the last three firsts or seconds in Adell, Marsh, Adams and Paris, Detmers, or Jackson.

Not gonna get starting pitching like Gray for spare parts.

Yeah. Almost anyone anywhere comparable to Bauer they'll ask for Adell. Some we might get away with a package around Marsh, but I'd rather have Marsh than our 2nd pick in the next draft, especially considering how much of a crap shoot it'll be since no one has played or been seen in 2020.

21 hours ago, Hubs said:

No second round pick but likely two of the last three firsts or seconds in Adell, Marsh, Adams and Paris, Detmers, or Jackson.

Not gonna get starting pitching like Gray for spare parts.

Pancake Bear

Yeah. Almost anyone anywhere comparable to Bauer they'll ask for Adell. Some we might get away with a package around Marsh, but I'd rather have Marsh than our 2nd pick in the next draft, especially considering how much of a crap shoot it'll be since no one has played or been seen in 2020.

Of course.  Except it's not simply that factor.  There's the salary factor to consider as well.  You must look at the whole.  Signing Bauer means 5-6 years at $25-30M (likely more).  Versus a trade bringing back a SP would has 2-4 years of control for a fraction of that cost.  Thus enabling Perry to bring in yet another SP or a better RF and/or RP etc.    

41 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Pancake Bear

Of course.  Except it's not simply that factor.  There's the salary factor to consider as well.  You must look at the whole.  Signing Bauer means 5-6 years at $25-30M (likely more).  Versus a trade bringing back a SP would has 2-4 years of control for a fraction of that cost.  Thus enabling Perry to bring in yet another SP or a better RF and/or RP etc.    

if you’re spending 28 M On Bauer and $7 M on a depth RF, or two starters (Say Snell  and Odorozzi) at 28 AAV total and a RF at 7,  but had to give up Detmers and Adell to get Snell...

You have Snell, Odorozzi and a RF like Pederson, or you have Bauer, Adell, Detmers, and a cheaper RF like Goodwin plus $2m on a swing man like Andriese?

46 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Pancake Bear

i don't know, i just don't see bauer hitting the 30 or more range. if i'm wrong, then i'm wrong. and i know how FA drives salary up, but he just doesn't have the history that teams look at. i still think he gets 4 or 5 years at 25 per.

I think that's the big unknown here for us fans -- what will the top FA type (e.g., Bauer) get in annual and years.  The market is in an extraordinary unknown place right now.  In a normal year, or at least the past two years, Bauer gets 6 years no problem and at least $30M/year.  But in December 2020 -- who the F knows until it's all said and done.  

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

if you’re spending 28 M On Bauer and $7 M on a depth RF, or two starters (Say Snell  and Odorozzi) at 28 AAV total and a RF at 7,  but had to give up Detmers and Adell to get Snell...

You have Snell, Odorozzi and a RF like Pederson, or you have Bauer, Adell, Detmers, and a cheaper RF like Goodwin plus $2m on a swing man like Andriese?

Well first off, Detmers and Rodriguez are a nonstarter for me.  But Adell in a trade for a #2 SP signed for a few years at a good price -- done.  One or more of Adell, Adams, Jackson, Paris, Jones, Knowles, Rameriz, Dev, etc. -- gone for the right guy.

I don't think we need to spend $7M on a RF.  That's a waste of resources better spent on the BP.

Bauer + Barria/Sandoval < Odorizzi + Snell/Gray......imho

I'm not against signing Bauer.  I used to be solely FA guy and not trade any of the farm.  But i'm open to that now and think it might be the better option.  Get a cost & year controlled #2 type SP and move Heaney/Canning down a spot -- i'm in.  

43 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I don't understand these comments. Why would the Halos sign Matt Andriese at 2M when they DFA him at 1.3M?

He wasn't the part they wanted. And they sure aren't going to give him a raise if they do bring him back in the future or invite him to SPT.

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

I don't think we need to spend $7M on a RF.  That's a waste of resources better spent on the BP.

Seems like an unnecessary risk to count on Upton / Ward / Adell / Marsh to cover two full time positions next season when the trio combined for -0.8 war last season and Marsh didn't even play.

Someone I wouldn't be surprised if we got on a one year deal (not sure if I personally want him) is Ryan Braun.  Combination of him being able to play both OF positions (although not a good defender) + being one of the "big names" Arte loves + him possibly having a desire to return to SoCal. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Jon Morosi said the Mets are focused on Springer and also a target for an Arenado trade. 

Could give leverage to the Angels for Bauer if true. But also feel like a team like San Diego would swoop in and get him. 

San Diego is already tight on payroll. Doubt they spend that much. I'd worry more about someone like SF who was actually pretty decent offensively and could use pitching to compete. Toronto is another. Boston is a sleeper also, I think. Dodgers and Padres feel unlikely to me. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

San Diego is already tight on payroll. Doubt they spend that much. I'd worry more about someone like SF who was actually pretty decent offensively and could use pitching to compete. Toronto is another. Boston is a sleeper also, I think. Dodgers and Padres feel unlikely to me. 

Yeah, either way I have a feeling Angels still might bitch out to pay and someone else gets him.

Really hoping we don't go second tier. 

Bauer and a trade for one of Snell/Gray/Marquez...... Why Not Have Both Government Shutdown GIF

14 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Yeah, either way I have a feeling Angels still might bitch out to pay and someone else gets him.

Really hoping we don't go second tier. 

Bauer and a trade for one of Snell/Gray/Marquez...... Why Not Have Both Government Shutdown GIF

I hope we sign him, but I've learned not to expect it, even if logic and situation suggests we should be the front runners. 

7 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Realmuto confirmed

I actually wouldn't mind Realmuto if it's in conjunction with a trade for someone like Snell/Gray.  Maybe to a 5/90 deal or so - 18mil AAV.

It wouldn't necessarily be ideal, but it'd solve catcher for years and would enable us to draft a catcher and develop one over ~4 years of time.

If we traded for Snell (Adell/Paris/Thaiss?), then I'd just say try to find a "flyer" type SP to a minor league deal who could possibly factor in the rotation, as camp competition.

See if we can somehow trade Upton to the Giants (I would imagine Upton would be okay going to SF, but who knows), along with 30mil + Barria, thus saving 10mil/yr.  Sign Schwarer (1/5) to replace him, sign Archer (1/5 with an option year) to fill out the rotation.

Snell, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Archer, Ohtani*, with Sandoval/Saurez as depth, maybe Naughton as depth too, plus whoever else they can sign that is looking at a bounce back year.

Fletcher 2B, Schwarber LF, Trout CF, Rendon 3B, Walsh 1B, Realmuto C, Ohtani DH, Schebler/Ward RF, Iglesias SS.  Once Marsh is ready, then he takes the place of the Schebler/Ward combo, so that adds more LH power and OBP.

Honestly, this would be pretty decent, too.  We'd have the best catching tandem in baseball without question, a very solid SP rotation, and a lineup that has good potential on the whole.  

Remember last time the Angels grew impatient.....I don't care how long it takes during this off-season, I hope they make moves that improve next season, and many seasons after that.

Perry needs to get it right....I think he is in a bigger pickle than Eppler because Eppler inherited a train wreck allowing him to start wherever...Perry inherits a situation requiring much more precision in his decision making.