• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I had some weird feeling Bauer will sign for 4yrs/$125M. 

With money this year, who knows? But I doubt it. Lot of teams need starting pitchers. The demand will keep the price high. Bauer is the top one available. Someone will pay him a lot. Might not be a team we expect.

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

shit, give him 5/100, arte. then trade adell for snell. then sign this sugano guy and archie bradley. i don't give a fuck about no payroll. i'd pay to see that fucking team. also,

sona movsesian conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

16 hours ago, ukyah said:

tell me if this has ever happened in the history of modern FA.

why would team Y pay a guy 51 million dollars when he's on waivers? all they have to do is let him clear waivers and they can pay him massively significantly less, and keep their own prospects. what's the upside for them? there is none.

It hasn't happened before using waivers, and the scenario has since been shot down.

But since you brought it up again, the scenario said that team Y would receive a prospect to take on Upton. Just like the Giants received Will Wilson in exchange for taking on Zack Cozart's contract.

Still have a hard time thinking a prospect for prospect trade is a good idea. I get the logic behind it, but at the same time, trading anyone like Adell or Marsh and their vast potential for another player who is also just potential to that point seems like a bad gamble when either of those players gets you far down the field for a pitcher with proven MLB success. 

If the MLB team was better set I would be all for it, but with the somewhat narrow window for Trout’s prime. It’s time to make an effort to win these next 2-3 years. That’s why they shelled out big bucks for Trout, Rendon, Pujols, and Upton.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Not an actual rumor, but an interesting thought, as KC has a pretty good stable of SP prospects but are in need of OFers.

KC does appear to be trying to win, given their signings this offseason.

I would do Brandon Marsh for Daniel Lynch or Jackson Kowar in a heartbeat. 

FWIW:

"In the traditional Boras address, he scoffs at management claims of financial peril for teams, and for the league itself.

This winter is no different: Although commissioner Rob Manfred has said the 30 MLB teams lost $3 billion this season, and although Dodgers president Stan Kasten has said his team lost “well north of $100 million,” Boras said teams collected postseason national television and in-season local television revenue while paying 37% of salaries in the pandemic-shortened schedule.

Manfred has said teams make about 40% of their total revenue on game day, through tickets, concessions, parking and merchandise. The 2020 regular season was played entirely without fans.

“There’s no team in baseball that lost money last year,” Boras said."

From https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-12-04/scott-boras-major-league-baseball-winter-meetings (click the link)

20 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

FWIW:

"In the traditional Boras address, he scoffs at management claims of financial peril for teams, and for the league itself.

This winter is no different: Although commissioner Rob Manfred has said the 30 MLB teams lost $3 billion this season, and although Dodgers president Stan Kasten has said his team lost “well north of $100 million,” Boras said teams collected postseason national television and in-season local television revenue while paying 37% of salaries in the pandemic-shortened schedule.

Manfred has said teams make about 40% of their total revenue on game day, through tickets, concessions, parking and merchandise. The 2020 regular season was played entirely without fans.

“There’s no team in baseball that lost money last year,” Boras said."

From https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-12-04/scott-boras-major-league-baseball-winter-meetings (click the link)

I've wondered about the whole "lost $3B" thing, too.  My guess is that that simply means that they made $3B less than they were expecting to--which is not really the same thing.

lost revenue = lesser franchise values in the long term.  Good luck on convincing owners that they aren't losing money.  

net cash flow might not change much but half a bill less on your book is going to upset people.  

I'm not siding with the owners btw but when there's a difference between making less cash and taking a loss.  

We might be able to reconcile being worth 4b vs. 3.5b, but try to convince a billionaire of that.  And if you have a hard time, watch the show 'billions' as a reasonable yet over the top representation of how billionaires think.  

not sure how you convince anyone to be cool with taking a 20% hit on their net worth.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say when the Forbes list of team valuations come out, mlb teams won't see a decrease of 20%.

doesn't change the fact that the billionaires who are already crying poverty are going to try and make that argument.  

those guys make a lot of money.  but they spend a lot too.  

34 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

doesn't change the fact that the billionaires who are already crying poverty are going to try and make that argument.  

those guys make a lot of money.  but they spend a lot too.  

It's in their best interests not to disclose how much money they are making. Their entire game plan has always been to play it in the media in the court of public opinion.